“just great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Montego Bay

You added Hotel Riu Montego Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Mahoe Bay, Ironshore, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ironshore
s. wales
“just great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

we have just returned from our holiday at this resort and i was concerned at some of the negative reviews i saw just before i went, this hotel is fantastic, clean and the food is just wonderful. The staff are so friendly and happy and just wonderful, I was sorry to leave. We had the best holiday ever i loved every minute. The entertaiment team were fantastic and put on some fantastic shows, and Sylvester was great at the keep fit aqua aerobics just a wonderful holiday

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,071)
wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

This review comes from 20 women who have all stayed at many all-inclusive resorts. First of all, we would like to shame those who wrote such terrible reviews. We booked our trip 6 months ago, and after reading the reviews we were VERY concerned. We have stayed at Riu resorts for the past 7 years - (to include palaces) and found that this was clean, everyone was extremely friendly, and the food and entertainment was great. We hope to go back next year!!!! The one and only concern was that we only received 1 room key upon check-in, however, if you ask for another, you will get it. Sure we heard the complaints of the planes overhead, but it did not bother any of us. In fact it was kind of cool! There were no slot machines as advertised, but they will be coming. The beach was NOT murky, and the water was a gorgeous aqua! The trees themselves were inmature but what do you expect with a brand new resort. We just really feel that those you gave such poor reviews need to get a life. We want to give a shout out to the great entertainment group: HOT DOG, SIMONE, SWEETY, ROXY, BOBBY SOCKS, and all of the fabulous bartenders!!!! Sorry if we forgot any names - you were all great! Take it from 20 different women (all ages, all sizes) that this resort is top notch.

• Liked — so close to the airport
  • Disliked — only gave 1 room key at check-in
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leicestershire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

Holidays are very personal so read the reviews and take with a pinch of salt !!
We read the reviews of what some peoples opinion were and we had no problems.The hotel is so clean the rooms are very clean and we loved the beds!!
The food was very good for A/I excellent fresh fruit and fruit juice freshly made for you.The Asian Sushi was excellent but really the buffet was fine.The Jerk hut was nice but i tell you to go to Scotchies Jerk hut down the road we paid (in the hotel) 10 dollars return and the food was what we came to Jamaica for very hot spicy Jerk chicken ( they do a mild also ) so friendly we ate there in the day and at night we really cannot praise Scotchies enough !!!.
Vendors on the beach no problem we just smiled and said no thank you.
We had two days where the seaweed was there but it was not really a problem.
As i said holidays are very personal and for us it was far too noisy the pool was from 10am shouting down a microphone and really did not stop. We sat at the coconut bar 5pm-6.30pm very quiet then left when the bingo or kids club started on stage.
They need to have a quiet bar and pool to accommodate everyone.
It was loud music and shouting all the time.
The entertainment was ok in the evening if you like that but you hear them rehearshing all through the day so you have the beach music, the pool bar music, and staff shouting and the entertainment staff rehearsing , so three lots of music competing with each other.
Would visit another RIU as long as they have quiet areas
If anyone has any questions please ask !!!

• Liked — Good standard and transfer
  • Disliked — Far too noisy and busy with continuous PA activity and entertainment sometimes nowhere to escape the volume
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

It was my second time to Montego Bay after 15 years and from my first experience I was not expecting a great vacation. I travelled with 9 other friends and had a Blast of a time at this resort. Reading other reviews I was surprised to read so many negative reports.

The resort was beautiful and was always clean. A little bit of walking to do to get around but you need the exercise to make up for all the food you will eat. The rooms are your typical hotel room layout but with two sinks in the bathroom and a well set up bar. The Fridge and bar was stocked EVERYDAY. The water pressure was great. The A/C can easily be adjusted to your comfort. Beds a little hard for me but still had good sleeps. No complaints about the maid service neither. One of my friends celebrated a birthday on the vacation and the maid(s) went that extra step and created a neat arrangement with towel animals and flower pedals.

The pool area was again kept clean and well stocked with chairs. The beach was a little disappointing but I am not a big beach person. The beach is quiet though compared to other resorts I have been to. There is minimal motor boat noise and plenty of chairs. The sand was fine sand but not soft. So diving during a volleyball game on the beach is not suggested. The Jerk Chicken Guy on the beach makes up for the hard sand though. Fantastic Jerk Chicken for the ones who like a little spice.

The food was AMAZING! Everything that I ate either it be at breakfast (hash browns were my fav) Lunch (jerk chicken on the beach) or at dinner which is themed everyday was such a treat to the taste buds. The al-a-carte dinners were fantastic as well.
Bar service was excellent! The bartenders would see you coming and were ready for your order with a smile and greetings. Do take a thermos cup/mug to keep those drinks cool.

The staff were VERY friendly from the Entertainment staff all the way to the janitors. The entertainment staff were fantastic. Activities were quite regular all day and I suggest taking advantage of the pool aerobics near mid-day. The entertainment staff is a little pushy to get you involved but they do it in a very friendly manner and how can you say no to a beautiful girl. In a short time you find yourself approaching them to carry out a conversation and get a laugh. Just get that liquid courage in you to do the activities and be ready to dance (just as selecting this resort for your stay) YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

As for excursions I did the Zip Line activity through chukka tours. Great experience and the tour guides were very friendly and very well trained for everyone’s safety during the tour through the jungle with fantastic views. I visited MargaritaVille one night and was not impressed. They say it is where all the tourists go for a night out but our group were the only tourists there and were shown quite a bit of disrespect by the locals. I suggest sticking to a day visit. Our group got lucky getting hooked up with a cab driver through our tourist rep at the hotel. If you travel through “sunquest vacations” and have Sheri as your rep ask for Mr. Gordon as the driver.

Overall I had an excellent time and I would definitely be returning to this resort.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Beach
Marion
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

Our group of friends travel somewhere tropical every winter. When we decided on Jamaica, we heard very mixed reviews about our safety should we go. Prepared for anything, we booked our trip.
With the exception of one situation, our entire trip was better than any other we had ever taken.
The hotel was beautiful and clean. The entertainment was entertaining, the food was great (although I wouldn't recomend the prawns in the Italian resturaunt) they were far from prawns, but the dish was tasty none the less. The check in staff was competent, but the lounge staff at every location was outstanding, Our favorite was Rohan McPherson. The guy looks just like Chris Rock and always made us feel at home and very welcome.
The one negative experience related to outside transportation through approved taxi services. We had established a good relationship with "Ricky". We would just call him when we wanted to go somewhere. One evening we made arrangements with him, as we stepped up to the bellman's stand to wait for our driver's arrival, the bellman made quite a scene and told us our driver wasn't approved to be on property and demanded that we take "Big Dread". Not wanting to cause trouble, we called Ricky back and said we would meet off property for our next excursion but that this evening wasn't going to work out. Big Dread not only over charged us ($20 p/person to go to a local restruraunt and a bar stop for one drink - on the way back to the hotel) but he took us to a restruraunt that over charged us on the currency conversion by about $50. It turns out that Big Dread and Ricky both work for the same approved taxi company and the bellman was out of line. If not pre-arranged, the approved drivers take customers in rotation-thus our encounter with Big Dread. Not wanting to cause problems at the hotel we chalked it up to experience. But for a very honest and trustworthy driver/guide, please ask for Ricky with Maxi Tours (876-372-4254). I should add that he took our group of 9 for an entire day of sight seeing and shopping for $20 each. We obvioulsly tipped him well.
Great experience overall and I would highly recomend this resort.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Arranging Transportation
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ajax Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

We arrived Nov 23, 2008, 15 minutes from the airport, check in was about 30 to 45 minutes but there was a staff member walking around with frutti drinks welcoming everyone, this was the same for all staff, I can't say enough about them,, friendly and courtious, now come on!! we all have a bad day and Im sure so do these people, please keep that in mind. our room was the upgraded ocean front room, it was beautiful, would I pay the preimum again?? probably not, we were never in the room to appreciate the view. the pool and swim up bar were great, it was usually busy but the bar staff tried their best to serve everyone, the buffets, what can i say, I have been to St. Marrtin, and the D.R. and a buffet is a buffet, don't get me wrong their was something for everyone to eat but I would not like to eat at a buffet every day at home either, but it was pretty good overall. the fine dining restaurants, well I have to agree with some of the other reviewers, it was nice to get dressed up and go out but the food i am dissapointed to say sucked, this was at all three restaurants, we should have just stuck to the buffet, some other people we met down there said they loved it so there you go!! my advice is to try them for yourself. The entertainment was great, the staff worked really hard to put on these live shows every night, they practiced all day long, we could not believe the dedication and hard work the entertainment staff put into these shows. the beach was clean with plenty of lounge chairs but the ocean itself, was mucky on the bottom, we spent the majority of time in the pool anyway. We did the dunn river falls trip(cool runnings) $120.00 PP, it was great and well worth it. Overall this was a beautiful & clean resort and we had a great time and would go back in a heart beat. try the jurk chicken hut on the beach, it was great.

• Liked — resort was clean and staff were friendly
  • Disliked — the three restaurants, steak house, itailan & chinese restaurants were about a 4 out of 10, it was the food that I'm rating here, the staff and the venu itself were great
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2009

Just returned from the Riu in Montego Bay. I'm glad I didn't read any of these reviews before my wife and I went or we may have cancelled our trip.

Hotel stay started out bad. I booked directly through the Riu website as I have in the past and when we arrived they did not have our reservation. Very glad I brought 2 hard copies of my booking with me as they had to fax copies to main office to verify our reservation. Unfortunately, this took about 1 1/2 hours of just sitting around instead of getting changed and heading out to the beach.

Finally got our rooms. Nice, clean, no problems (and my wife is extremely picky).

From that point on, we had a wonderful time. Staff was extremely friendly. Everyone says hello, waiters were attentive, the entertainment staff was great. Pool, absolutely gorgeous.
For those who complain there were not enough bars, what do you want, a bar every 5 feet. Sorry you had to walk across the pool for a drink. No bar on beach and this would have been a nice addition.

Food. Not the greatest, but by far not bad. Buffet had everything and anything you could want. Steak house, well not exactly a New York Steak house. Asian, some good, some bad. Italian was very good. Biggest complaint I have read is you can't make your reservations in advance for the whole week. The problem is when they let you do that, it's too easy just not to show up because you changed your plans and the restaurants end up half emply, which they were anyway (even though they were fully booked).

Entertainment - Hey, this is Jamaica pal, not Broadway. I thought the staff did a terrific job. Most shows were entertaining.
Remember, you're on an island 2000 miles from nowhere. They are not flying in Beyounce for a FREE show with ALL INCLUDED, UNLIMITED drinks.

To wrap up, the whole week was a cheap deal. How much can you expect for the money.

We would go back in a heartbeat. No, I won't miss the low flying planes overhead, but I figured out in advance if I was 10 minutes from the airport there would be planes.

All in all, I reccommend.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Riu Montego Bay? Share your experiences!