“Would def come again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Montego Bay

You added Hotel Riu Montego Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Mahoe Bay, Ironshore, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ironshore
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Would def come again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I just came back from a 6 week stay in Riu Montego Bay, the family side not the palace. We were a group of 6 and we all had a great time.
FOOD: Don't miss the chicken at the beach for lunch. It was the best meal we had. The buffet offers a huge variety of food from American food to Jamaican food.so we were all able to find something we loved. We had the opportunity to eat at all 3 a la carte restaurant. If i had to rate them from best to worse, i would say The steakhouse, Chinese and Italian. However the steakhouse is outdoor and it was very hot the night we ate there.
Drinks: Drinks are not strong at all. I had an avg of 10 drinks per day and I was never tipsy. One time I ordered a glass of vodka just to see what was going on and they mix the vodka with water. It's safer to have the wine or beer since they come in a bottle. However,the cocktails are very tasty.
Hotel: It's located about 10 mins from the airport.the hotel was very clean. the landscape is also very nice. Feel free to ask the staff dressed in green for coconut. They cut them from the tree and they taste excellent. The bed was a little harder than I like but I was still able to get a good night sleep and the TV was an old school tv and the images weren't really clear. The pool is really big. it's not the cleanest pool cause I did see some napkins in the water and guests are lazy and leave their plates around the pool. However they did try hard to pickup after guests so It never got to a point where it was gross and nasty. there are 4 bars open during the day. I only got the chance to take the reggae dance class and the pool aerobics and they were both great. I only wish they were longer than 30 mins. You get 90mins of free Wi-Fi in the lobby. If you do decide pay to have Wi-Fi keep in mind that you can only have one device connected at a time.
Staff: every one at the resort was extremely nice. The entertainment staff seems to really enjoy their job. they were always smiling and a lot of fun. Some of the staff remembered our names and always made jokes when they saw us. They really made us feel welcomed. we always came back from breakfast to a clean fresh room. None of our stuff was stolen like some people in the reviews I read.
Beach: def man made. Water is not really blue. and there are so many seaweed. you will need shoes unless you don't mind the mushy feeling you get when you step on them. We went to Cornwall beach and doctor's cave most of the time. The water there is true Caribbean water. Unfortunately you do have to pay an entrance fee ($6/person) but trust me it's worth it.
Entertainment: the entertainment was great. my favorite were the reggae party and the Michael Jackson show. The guy looks and speaks almost like the real MK. it's freaky but he did a great job. The reggae party has a live reggae band and really make the whole crowd dance.

Overall,

Room Tip: Building 4 doesn't have an elevator and is a little away from the restaurants and pool. Take a r...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (949)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 5 days in June with my husband and in-laws. We opted for a mid-level all-inclusive since we paid for his parents to join us. The resort was much better than expected for the cost.

Because they did not have 2 rooms in the same building, they upgraded one of our rooms to a beachfront hot tub suite which was amazing! There was a giant bathroom, walk in closet, sofa, and flat screen TV. We were nice and let my in-laws take it. Our room was just standard and okay. The TV was a small old 90's era TV, but who goes to Jamaica to spend time in their room?

The beach was disappointing and gross with the seaweed in the water, so we spent most of our time by the pool. The pool was fun with plenty of chairs with and without shade. It is a bit annoying that they will only give you 1 towel at a time and you had to keep track of your towel cards. The pool bar was great and the jerk chicken stands were delicious! Definitely my fave food there. The buffet was also good with a huge array of foods. Did not like the Asian or Italian specialty restaurants. The only reservation we could get for the steak place was too late, so we wound up at the buffet again that night. As opposed to what some other reviewers said, we were never asked to tip, but always did it anyway since we're used to it in the Caribbean.

The resort was always clean and everyone seemed to work hard keeping it that way. Unfortunately, I got bit a lot by ants and mosquitoes (~10 bites!), but I always seem to attract them. Overall, we had a fun, relaxing time. It was my in-laws' first major vacation and they're still crowing over it 2 months later!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

We just returned August 16th after a week. We read all the reviews, both good and bad, however we only had good experiences for all 4 members of our family. Great authentic Jamaican food at all meals with a great salad bar, Italian cuisine, continental cuisine, chefs cooking up stir fry's and personal preference pasta's, juices etc. very polite staff. Great pool and great activities all throughout the day. The beach is great too, some portions have a green moss on the sea floor, which could be annoying to some people. This was our holiday and we made the best of it. they have a gym, spa, sports bar, swim up bar in the pool, amazing jerk chicken Hut on the beach everyday serving amazing Jerk chicken. don't bother with the dine in restaurants as you don't miss anything if you don't eat there - you could get the same food pretty much at the buffet. It was a fun & lively experience from morning to evening - We MISS RIU Montego Bay!!!!

Room Tip: Choose rooms in Building 1 & on the ground floor.
South Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

I have stayed at better places in MoBay for about the same price. Iberostar for one. Is Riu the worst place in the world? No its not but it's below mediocre. The food's not great, the drinks so so and the service is barely ok. There is no drink or food service at the pool, beach or bar areas . You heard me correctly. You want a drink while sitting on the beach? Sorry, you have to walk to the bar. There is a beach bar but that closes at 4 PM and the cup size is the smallest I've ever seen. You can get something to eat there but only grilled chicken and you have get it yourself. No service. They don't even pick up the dirty plates. Want a drink at the entertainment area? Get it yourself. Want a drink while laying around at the pool. Sorry.... no service. Most hotels greet you upon arrival with a fruity drink. Not here. You have to get it yourself. Did I mention room service. Oops! Don't ask cause you don't get room service. NEVER.
The rooms are ok but make sure you get Ocean View. Like I said, even if you have to spend more at another resort, spend it and you will feel much more pampered.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

This was the first time i have stayed in a hotel in Jamaica and i must say, i was impressed.

There initial mixups with the room and having had a 3 hour flight delay, it was not good to reach and find out our room wasnt ready and that it was on the second floor, when a ground/first floor was requested due to mobility issues of one of our party. Having reported it to Reception, staff dealt with it swiftly and without fuss. we were upgraded next day to a ground floor, ocean view room. We were well impressed.

hat we enjoyed was the staff felt like family and were always willing to help and engage with you. Nothing was a problem for them. Although very professional in all they did and presented themselves, they would always engage with a smile and a chat.

The food was kind of bland initially, but we know they are catering for various tastebuds but on speaking to the Chef, the food went up a notch daily. They selection of food was great and extended to every choice. I must say the food was on point on Independance Day and the attention paid to you by restaurant staff was wonderful.

The entertainment was not to my taste. Alot to work on here. The water aerobics was good and due to being booked on excursions, was unable to take part in the other water sports.

A few nights were there some live music which was nice. The choice of entertainment seemed to pander to the worlds image of Jamaica. I felt there needed to be more balance and some nights when the dancing competions were on, i felt uncomfortable, as children were present. The Michael jackson show was ok, but the other show featured mainly people who were clearly not Jamaican. Do you knot have enough talented dancers etc in Jamaica that could be enlisted in theses shows. Also it would have been nice to see a little of the old Jamica giving a balance of the jamaica past and present.

Out room was spacious, clean, a lovely Ocean view and also the room cleaning staff were excellent and pleasant. The room was always spotless.

The pool was kept as clean as it could be and the lifeguards were friendly. Impressed at the standard of neatness on the beach. Shame the water is not as nice as Negril but we enjoyed regardless.

I will definately be back - felt like home and met some wonderful people!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

My husband and I and our extended family visited this property August 5-9,2014. My husband and I travel alot. We always stay at two different resorts when we travel, one at a 5 star and typically the second resort is a Riu property. Depending on what site you look up for Riu properties the star rating varies. Our experience we found that 3 1/2 star resorts were not so great until we found Riu several years ago.

I have to say a Riu is a Riu other than the Riu Palaces which are a higher star. Once you've been to one you've been to them all. That sounds boring and that is why we always stay at a 2nd resort for new experiences. For us, Riu's are reasonably priced, therefore we can afford to stay at another resort. We have never been disappointed staying at Riu in Puerta Vallarta, Cancun, or Jamaica.

The food at this buffet was very good. My dad on a few days had breakfast twice and some times lunch. Lol! He loves the idea that this resort was all-inclusive and at time would ask what was the charge at the specialty restaurants. It didn't take him or my mon long to stop asking for the price. I would say the enjoyed the buffet more than the specialty restaturant. The Japanese Restaurant was not so great so we went over to the buffet for dinner. The Italian Restaurant was better.

The property was well kept and clean. Although my husband and I did not get in the pool, it was very clean and looked inviting. The only downfall or negative comment I heard from my family was that at a certain point on the ocean floor they could feel the seaweed which was very slimmy.

The rooms can stand to be updated, but was not a deal breaker for us. Sitting down on the bed initially felt like a brick, but surprisenly I slept good with no complaints. All the bartenders were very friendly and good at their jobs. All the staff were friendly and spoke when they walked passed us. The shows were also entertaining.

This property is 10 to 15 minutes tops from the airport which is a plus.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

The experience my friends and I had was unpleasant at the RIU. I would recommend that you spend your money at another resort. These are the reasons why:
The quality of food was below average. The food was bland, overcooked, poor quality, fruits were not ripe, etc.. The alcoholic beverages were of poor quality, even the beer. We always tipped and I found it unprofessional that staff at times asked for a tip. The room's decoration was dark, old fashioned and we quickly realized their was a lamp shade missing. My friend found a roach in the bathroom, which makes sense since the guests left plates of food outside their rooms. The hotel's beach was full of algae which made it uncomfortable to walk in the water. So we thought to ourselves, 'let's cool off at the pool'. Not a good idea since the pool was warm at all times. Overall, this resort needs to quickly improve the quality of food and service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Montego Bay? Share your experiences!