“A great bang for your buck... Stick to the buffet and jerk hut!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Montego Bay

You added Hotel Riu Montego Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Mahoe Bay, Ironshore, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ironshore
New England
“A great bang for your buck... Stick to the buffet and jerk hut!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

We recently stayed at the Riu Montego Bay and had a fabulous family vacation. The hotel is a stones throw away from the airport, don't let that deter you, let it entice you! Skip the expensive add on shuttle and opt to walk to the taxi kiosk and take a cab (private shuttle bus/van) for $20! We were at our hotel in 5 minutes (our family of 4). We skipped the lines for the shuttles and the masses getting on and off them! Wonderful! You can arrange a return taxi at the hotel a day or two ahead of time for the same cost.

The hotel was welcoming, but unable to accommodate early check ins (understandable, but not helpful with an ill child). They will set your bags to the side and you can change into pool wear for your wait.

Our room was a family unit (3 full beds) perfect for our family of 4. The room itself was nice sized, but not modern. The tv was bulky (we watched it late I'm the evenings or late afternoon) and our wall lamps looked like The Hangover might have been filmed there. Definitely a need for repairs. The room itself was comfortable, air conditioned, clean and well stocked. When I say clean I urge you to be skeptical of "clean or cleaned" glasses in your room. Ours were marked intentionally for our use in the room and were there "cleaned" day in and day out. I would wash them out again before reuse. Also our bathroom floor never seemed to be swept, a small thing as we were never there for long periods of time.

The beds were comfortable but the pillows were AWFUL! They had a mini fridge and liquor dispensers in each room, and if your tip a few singles you cam ask for extra of whatever you want/need as they only restock every other day.

We were in building 2 which is away from the main complex, truly a short walk and was quiet when we wanted quiet. I read complaints of thin walls - never heard a peep! We heard complaints of constant power outages - we experienced two blips in power during a rain storm during dinner, but it flickered and came back on. I would suggest a small flashlight(s).

The pool was wonderful, and as recommended I was up early and placed our pool towels on chairs for the day. I am an early riser so this was easy to do and I would grab self serve coffee and chill until the main buffet opened for breakfast. This was our favorite meal of the day. Fresh eggs and omelet yes made to order, plenty of fresh fruit and lots of variety. Lunch was fine at the buffet, but the best bet is the buffet line beside the upper pool bar or the jerk chicken shack.

As far as beverages, if you are a wine lover then you will be disappointed unless you bring your own. I would recommend it, the white wine was tolerable but the red wine was nasty (at least the first two glasses). All the frozen bar drinks were fabulous!

The staff is Topnotch! Absolutely amazing. Christopher at the swim up bar is entertaining, professional, always willing to help out - a true gem! The hotel is very lucky to have him! Tip him well! Maxine and Leach are also amazing!!!! Ask Christopher where his Trip Advisor Excellence Pin is, I gave him this on our recent trip, and he certainly deserved it! Another tip - order/bring double walled/insulated drink cups (we found 32oz ones on Amazon) to take with you. These kept those wonderful drinks cold and frozen, and kept us from standing in line all the time). They were the envy of the pool area!

Trips/Excursions - MUST DO - Margaritaville Catamaran trip. A lot of fun, snorkeling where the fish eat bread out of your hands, beverages, water trampoline at Margaritaville then shopping with our hotel guide for cheaper deals. Don't purchase items at the hotel! Opt to shop here or take the free hotel shuttle across the street to the mall. Go to the grocery store there for your best deal on food items (spices) and rum, rum cakes, rum cream.

DINNER RESERVATIONS - the Asian restaurant was bad, bad, bad. They need to remove it and come up with something else. The Steak house was okay, but the food lacked seasonings!!!! I know, hard to believe but it's true! Chances are you won't get reservations for any of these a la carte restaurants until 3 days out, but try. Truly, we enjoyed the buffet the most for dinner.

TIPPING - bring plenty of $1 bills with you for easy tipping. Although not necessary as it is an all inclusive it is truly appreciated and will get you a little more.

ENTERTAINMENT - the evening entertainment fills up fast so go early and get your table. My family really enjoyed the shows they put on, and the staff work very hard to make it look flawless!

HELPFUL TIP - bring plenty of extra sunblock! The hotels sells a can of spray on block for $24 usd!!!!!!!

Most of all - relax, enjoy and tell Christopher that we miss him!!!!

*****I appreciate Helpful votes*******

Room Tip: Building 2 is close but away from the noise of evening entertainment
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,067)
Monroe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

The food,the room, and the service was amazing! The beach was good there is seaweed close to the shore, but walk down a little further and it's perfect! Have a Blue Ocean drink they are great! Go and get some! We're going again next year!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

From the time we arrived until the time we left, the place is amazing. The staff is super friendly and nice. What people do not understand is the staff are literal in answering your questions. They do not provide further info unless you ask. I asked if the ATM was here and she told me no. No further info. I finally figured out that if I asked the correct questions I got the correct answers. Service was perfect, friendly, clean, and very accommodating. Had a lost key issue which was resolved immediately. Omg and yes there is some grass growing in the ocean about ten feet out. (Sarcasm) Wife hates that and No problem at all for her. In the water all day, swim up pool was super. Find Christopher, he will be the one serving drinks on his head. Entertainment non/stop, megatron and crew kept it going all day and night. So much to do, food is very good, options for everyone, burgers,dogs, pizza, all kinds of food also. Jamaican food always worth trying. Loved the goat curry. Meat, fruits, everything. I highly recommend this RIU. We had a bad drawer, and one moment of no hot water. No problem. Bottled water, and beer put in your room every other day, want more? Front desk will bring a truck load of redstripe if you ask. Oh did I say the staff was SUPER? Can not wait to return. Was worried reading some past reviews, there is something wrong with you if you people knit pick over stupid stuff..feel bad for you if you can not be happy here. You can not be happy anywhere the RIU rocks and has something for people of all ages. Kids, couples, older folks etc...

Stayed April 2014
Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

The only fault we had with this resort was the very muddy bottom about 10 feet from the shore. Food was out of this world,staff for the most part were excellent .found the red vested employees in the lobby not very friendly.
Met a tour guide by the name of Charlott. Lady with a very large heart.entertainmnt was also excellent .

• Stayed April 2014
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

RIU Montego Bay Jamaica 18-25 April 2014

This is our second time at a RIU resort and first time at the RIU Montego Bay in Jamaica. There were no disappointments here; none whatsoever. All the grounds, the staff, the food, and the entertainment were top notch. The ride from the airport to the resort is only 7 minutes.

Day to day you are impressed at the professionalism of the maintenance staff, the servers, the pool hands, the kitchen staff, and the maid service; right on up to management. I was always greeted with a smile and a “how are you enjoying your stay at the RIU”? The bathrooms were always impeccable and 2 times out of 3 there was always someone tidying up. Empty glasses and dishes left by guests at the poolside were always being picked up.

When you go, don't miss the International Night and the Chef’s Special Night at the Rose Hall buffet. The variety of food is endless. For those of you who don't like to try different ethnic foods, you can always get your fries and hamburgers! As well as an outdoor lunch buffet, there is an additional buffet right by the poolside bar, and a jerk chicken shack on the beach! Love this chicken! In addition, there are 3 other restaurants from which to choose.

I think I have to say that the entertainment at the RIU was by far one of the best I have ever encountered on my travels. It was all very tasteful and professional. I did appreciate that the gifts given to the winners of the ‘pre-show’ games were coffee instead of bottles of rum.

The beach is a man-made beach. Walks along the beach are not as long as your traditional beaches that go from hotel to hotel, but it is very picturesque. The sand is nice and the water is clear, There is an interesting area by the rocks where you can find a variety of small fish. Water sports are not my interest, but there is no lack of sporting and boating activities to choose from. I was pleased to see that there was a fitness class on the beach every day at 10:00 am!

In closing, I would just like to say a few words to some tourists. You are coming to a new country and should be leaving the best impression you can. Treat the place as if it were your own back yard. Don't leave your empty glasses in the bushes or underneath your deck chair. Don't butt out your cigarettes wherever you please, and if you are still carrying a wine glass with you on your way back to the room, take it inside instead of leaving it where it can be shattered.

This was a great holiday destination!

Room Tip: If walking is a problem for you, be sure to ask to stay in building 1 or 2. Buildings 4, 5 and 6 ar...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Oneonta, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I read about every review out there for the Riu Mo Bay and I was a little scared of what to expect. The reviews are about half and half. My husband and I went on our honeymoon and just got back. To start, the airport when you arrive is seriously congested. But we found our transfer to our hotel no problem. It was about a 10 minute ride to the resort. Check in was flawless. Our room was ready upon check in. We gave our baggage to the bellman. Went to our room and it was immaculate. We stayed in the 4000 building. The view was a tiny garden and a fence but we didn't want to pay extra for ocean view cuz we didn't plan to spend too much time in the room. Very clean room. Definitely a long walk to and from the pool restaurants and lobby but hey who really cares. Mini bar was fully stocked. They say they stock it every other day but if you need more of something just call and they'll bring it. It did take some time but once again we weren't there to sit and drink in our room. The food was great! We ate at the buffets everyday and we aren't picky eaters , there's definitely something for everyone. When we got there we tried to make reservations for the restaurants but they were all booked until Sunday. We had the steakhouse Sunday and it was ok. We both said we would have rather ate at the buffet. I think the food was great, lots of selections at dinner and lunch. Breakfast was the same everyday. And yes there is no coffee in the rooms. That was a draw back but definitely not a deal breaker. The entertainment was also good! They were very nice and came around the pool area all day to get you involved in the activities. We thought the shows were good. The best was the Michael Jackson show they had. Very talented people they have entertaining. We spent aloe of time at the swim up bar which was fantastic! Christopher is awesome! All of the bartenders are at the pool! Very fun atmosphere not hard to get a drink and they aren't stingy with the pouring either. People definitely go early to the pool/beach to reserve a spot in the shade or sun. But we'd drop our stuff off at 8 go eat and come back. Not hard to find a spot but if you want shade id go early. We had an issue with our safe one day. I called and security was there in 5 minutes and it was fixed. We have a couple friends that live in Jamaica and they came and picked us up to bring us to Skotchies one night. The lobby guy saw us walking out the resort and asked us if we were ok and where we were going, etc. I took this as them caring about our safety not as them not wanting us to leave. I defiantly would be careful leaving the resort tho without a tour guide. Overall we had a fantastic time. The service was great and the price is unbeatable. I had some issues trying to use the wifi but Raymond the customer service guy was so helpful and really nice. We will definitely be back. For our first international trip and all inclusive, it was a great experience! Is it a 5 star top of the line place, no. 3.5 star yes and it was great and relaxing!

• Stayed April 2014
Milton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

My husband and I spent 1 week at the Riu Montego Bay (Apr 12-19) and absolutely loved it. The room was clean, the food was very good, the staff friendly and helpful, the beach, the pool, we loved it all.

Room Tip: We were in Building #4 (nearest to the tennis courts) - a bit of a hike to everything but very quiet...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Montego Bay? Share your experiences!