“Awesome week at Riu Montego Bay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Montego Bay

You added Hotel Riu Montego Bay to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   | Mahoe Bay, Ironshore, Montego Bay, Jamaica   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ironshore
Mount Vernon, New York
“Awesome week at Riu Montego Bay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Just returned from Riu Montego Bay. I am thankful for the positive reviews I read on Tripadvisor.

We had an awesome time. A really great value. Good food. Generally, I don't like buffet style eating, however there were tremendous choices even for those who watch their weight while vacationing. You have to make reservations for the specialty restaurants in the main.
The Steak House was very good.

Riu has a group of talented dancers and performers who provided nightly entertainment. They also organized games and gave dance lesson during the day.

The staff was very friendly and polite. When we wanted to venture beyond the resort , they were very helpful.

The grounds were beautiful with all manner of palm and coconut trees. They also have several fruit trees on the property next to the tennis courts.

The only negative is that you cannot snorkel. The water's visibility is very poor but felt wonderful after beach aerobics. Other than this, we totally enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 4000 building which was close to the beach and tennis courts. A good walk to dining...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (949)
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I've had a few bad experiences where RIU is concerned in terms of food and rooms but this by far was my best experience. I stayed in a suite this time which was very well kept. And the view of the beach was awesome. The food the entire time was really good! Loved the selection & presentation. I had a few items that were way too salty for me to have (imagine my disappointment when one of them was lobster) but otherwise the food was really good. The staff in general especially bar staff were very friendly. No major complaints that wouldn't take me back even though i'm a very picky person!

• Stayed September 2013
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My husband and myself traveled to the RIU Montego Bay for a long weekend for our anniversary. Our stay was Aug 30 - Sept 3. I honestly don't understand all of the negative reviews. The only negative that we experienced during our trip was that our room was not ready on our first day until 5:00PM. We got the usual..."check back in 30 minutes", "check back in 20 minutes", etc. It was annoying, but not that big of a deal, considering it was raining anyway....we just waited at the bar. :) Our room was really nice, with a real king size bed, not two doubles pushed together. We didn't have a great view, but the location was great, right by the entrance to the pool by the towel hut, and right next to the dinner buffet. I'd sacrifice a good view for a great location any day. The food was great for an all-inclusive! We've done a ton of AI's, and I think that this dinner buffet was the best that we've ever had. The specialty restaurants on the other hand....I didn't like them at all. Every time we visited one, I found myself wishing that we had just gone to the buffet. White linen tablecloths and napkins were a nice added touch at the buffet....most typical AI buffets don't do it up that nice. That made the experience even more enjoyable. The steakhouse was so incredibly hot that I was sick to my stomach and couldn't enjoy my dinner, which wasn't that great anyway.
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the shows at RIU. I don't usually like them, and usually skip them all together because they are so cheesy. The RIU had some really great shows, like the reggae bands, the international dancers, and the amazing steel drum band "Silver Birds". They were awesome!! We also really enjoyed the nightclub Pacha that opened up every night after the show. A good mix of reggae, latin music, and american dance music. It usually had a really good crowd, which is unusual for an AI, as well.
The pool was really nice and huge, and the beach was just fine. The sea grass didn't really bother me.....it is an ocean after all. But, then again, I live on the East Coast and am used to Jersey beaches, so this beach is a dream even with the sea grass! And the jerk chicken shack on the beach.....OMG soooo good. I would anxiously await noon every day so that I could get in line for some chicken!:)
I thought that overall the staff was really nice and helpful as well. The only group that I thought could use a little help was the wait staff at the pool bar. They would constantly wait on the pushy obnoxious people who would push their way up front and yell for the bartenders, rather than wait on the people who were patiently waiting their turn, tip in hand. I think they were intimidated by the obnoxious vacationers, and that is not fair to the people who were waiting their turn properly. We actually realized that because we did not usually drink alcohol during the day, it was faster for us to go to the lunch buffet and grab a soft drink, rather than wait in line at the pool bar. Other than that, the staff was awesome!
We really enjoyed our relaxing getaway, and would definitely return to the RIU Montego Bay!

atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Hubby and I took a last minute anniversary trip to Jamaica and stayed at RIU Montego Bay. This is our third RIU stay since September last year. This was a good time to go for some R&R without children. I saw only 3 kids during my stay being that most kids are in school. The property was not overrun with guest.

Upon arrival we did receive welcome drinks from the guy who actually checked us in. We are RIU members (red card) so I presented my card upon checking in and advised that we were celebrating our anniversary. We were not offered any perks. Not even an upgrade. I asked If I could use some of my points in which I had over 800 at the time in order to upgrade from our garden view, he advised that upgrade privileges are not allowed on the red card and we would have to pay $80 for an upgrade to a beach front view.

same thing happened when we went to RIU Cabo San Lucas, we celebrated my mother in laws birthday and she received no perks. What ever happened to hospitality.

My husband and I went to our room where we had to kill a lot of little moth flies. They were all around the outside of our door. I forgot to request a higher up room. That's the best thing to do in order to avoid insects.

The worst thing we found in our room was a pair of grey men's underwear left in the closet hanging on the ironing board hook. We were shocked, but that lets you know how well the cleaning staff picks up. (see photo) We didn't get any fancy towel art during our stay.

The food was okay. We couldn't get reservations for the a la carts because we were there for only 3 days and the reservations were already full. We were advised to show up anyway 15 minute after the seating's, but that was really a joke. We tried the Steak house on the first day and went exactly 20 minutes after the seating. It was obvious that there were available tables in the area that they were serving, but we were not allowed to enter, so we ate at the buffet each day.

We really felt that the employees did not want to make room for us and were just being lazy.

The food at the buffet was pretty much the same each night. A variety of choices. (see photos)

The property was exceptionally clean and kept that way. I always saw someone cleaning or trimming hedges.

The beach was less than average. Very small with a few trees and lots of ants.

Entertainment was awesome each night. The actors are really young and pumped up. They know how to work the crowd.

The drinks were great and not watered down. The bar staff were very cordial and generous.

As for staying there again, not really sure at this point and not really sure if earning the points are worth it. When I returned home to check my points balances, they had been decreased to a little over 500. You're supposed to earn points when you stay not lose them. The rule is points expire after two years and I just started staying at RIU last year at this time.

They really need to get it together.

Location wise...less than a 5 minute ride to airport...downfall is that you do hear planes flying over, but not too bad.

New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Rates are really good for an all inclusive resort. I would recommend this hotel for people who are not too picky, and looking to just relax and have some fun
CONS:
1. Only 90mins of free wifi per day, which is only available in the lobby.
2. You have to walk to the lobby to make dinner reservations at the Steak house (which is usually fully booked, and hard to get a reservation), Italian and Asian restaurants.
3. close proximity to the airport, so sounds of airplanes can become annoying

PROS:
1. Good food at the main restaurant
2. Good vibe, everyone is friendly.
3. All inclusive / unlimited alcoholic beverages

Room Tip: Building 1 and 2 are closer to the main restaurant, lobby and pools. Building 5 and 6 are closer to...
manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

just returned home 1st when u board the plane u will be given a form 2 fill in plz fill both sides
when u leave u need 20 dollars right back to the hotel checking pretty quick rooms good size but need 2 be cleaned properly mini bar well stocked if not just go to reception and they will sort it. the food was ok u will always find some thing to eat the food in the afternoon is pretty poor its jerk chicken burgers pizza chips but the eveng time its better if u miss out just go to the sports bar and u will find some thing in the fridge if nothing left the one of the restraunts opens at midnight with left over food again chips burgers hotdogs not the best but it soak up th beer which is red stripe cocktail good just not enough bar staff to serve them now the pool not that clean people in there allday drinking and smoking when the pool is ment to be closed for cleaning which we never saw anybody do come midnight there would be people back in the pool and none of the staff stopped them plenty of sunbed by the pool and on the beach over all a good holiday but would not return to this hotel bin to better riu hotels hopes this helps

Herne Hill London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

we had a fantastic time at this hotel, food, staff etc was all good. Some day time entertainment would have been good, I would definitely stay at the hotel again with my family and friends. Thinking of celebrating my 50th birthday there. One love

Room Tip: first floor excellent choice and beautiful views
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Montego Bay? Share your experiences!