“Hotel is fine, internet service unreliable” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Belmont
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“Hotel is fine, internet service unreliable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I recently stayed five nights on a business trip. The hotel is what you would expect for the category... fairly basic rooms but clean, larger than expected, and very quiet. The breakfast is also standard for the brand, but I wish there was just something more like granola or fresh fruit other than bananas. The staff are friendly and there is lots of parking. There are no decent restaurants within walking distance that I could find, but several options are available a short drive away. My only real complaint about the place is that the internet service was unreliable the whole time I was there. Wired or wireless, I could always connect but trying to use it after that was hit or miss. I had to work in the evenings, and this made it really difficult. I called the tech support line and they said as long as I could connect, there was nothing more they could do. I complained to the front desk the first three nights, and they reset the service each time, which helped for about 30 minutes, then back to nothing. One clerk I spoke to mentioned a pending change to their service setup. Anyway, if internet service is crucial for you, be aware you might have problems here. Other than that, the hotel is good value for the price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Samir M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Belmont, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Dear valued guest.
We would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience while you were a guest at our hotel. We appreciate your candid comments.
Please rest assured that we are aware of the problem with our Internet Services.
As our staff mentioned that we will have a new and improved and fast Internet service .
As a matter of fact, the new internet service is scheduled to be installed the last week of September.
Hope to have you as our guest again on your next trip to the Bay Area.

Best Regards,

Samir Y. Mshasha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed for two nights at this HI Express and had a good experience. The only flaw is that my wife nearly got broken toes when the bathroom vanity cabinet door fell to the floor as it was not attached properly to its hinges. We told the front desk, which bent over backwards to make it up to us. They offered a suite, which we declined on inspection due to road noise. So, then they took about 20% off our bill. We appreciate their concern for their customers.

This hotel is right on El Camino Real, so it's important to ask for a room on the back side which eliminates almost all road noise. While its on the main drag, restaurants really aren't within walking distance. We recommend the Laurel street bistros and cafes which are about a five minute drive. If you are there on Thursdays, there is a farmer's market set up on Laurel.

Everything else was fine with this facility. Speedy internet, decent breakfast, and comfy beds. Prices are high in this part of California, so try to search for a deal. It won't be easy to find one. Still, I recommend this HI Express as a good mid-level hotel for the area.

Room Tip: Back side rooms a must if you want to block out noise from El Camino Real.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Samir M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Belmont, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear valued guest.
Thank you very much for taking the time to express your views regarding your recent visit to our hotel.
It was my pleasure to had the opprtunity to personally meet with you and also I wanted to thank you for bringing the problem to my attention.
I wanted to inform you that we have taken care of the vanity door problem and had it secured in all the bathrooms so that it would never happen again.
I am deeply sorry for that incident and was very glad that you wife was not hurt.
We appreciate you choosing to stay at our hotel when you are in the area.

Best Regards,
Samir Mshasha
General Manager.
Braunton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Clean with modern rooms. Not sure where the bad reviewers were staying - not here. Perfect location for the Bay area and San Francisco. Lots of free parking also much appreciated. Keep up the good work guys!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience during your last stay at our hotel.
We appreciate and value your comments and work hard to try to meet and exceed our guests expectations.
Hope that you will be our guest on your next trip to the Bay Area.

best regards,
Samir Mshasha
general Manager
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

I was very surprised at the ample parking, amenities, and cleanliness when I first walked in. But in the middle of the night, I saw a cockroach, in our bathroom. I called to change rooms but they were full and had no other rooms. The front desk told me they were native to the area and offered to kill it. I doubt there is only one. And I know many people in the Bay Area who don't have cockroaches. I am disappointed that we have waited over a week for the manager to call us back.

• Stayed July 2012
Samir M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Belmont, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to express your views during your last stay at our hotel.
I am deeply sorry for not responding to your concerns in a timely manner.
I called and left 2 messages to let you know that we took care of your accommodation charge for your stay.
We appreciate you informing us about the unfortunate incident and we want you to rest assured that we have taken care of this particular problem.

My best Regards,

Temple City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My son recently moved to South San Francisco, so my wife and I were looking for a base for our regular visits to the area. After researching the options using TripAdvisor and other tools, we settled on this one for a visit last weekend, and were very pleasantly surprised by the experience.

The location is just right - close enough to the freeway and within walking distance to the train station, but far enough away that noise isn't an issue, in a nice semi-residential area. The property has plenty of free parking, including an underground section that's nice in the rain or on the odd hot day. There's plenty of places to eat within easy walking distance, and the included breakfast was better than average.

The staff -- especially Francis at the front-desk -- is very friendly and helpful; the room was spacious, the bed comfortable, the microwave, mini-fridge, and coffee maker useful. The free wi-fi worked well, on both my laptop and my phone. My wife used the small fitness room (a treadmill, an elliptical, and a stationary bike).

The big selling point for this property is the value. On weekends especially, you'll only pay a few dollars more for this place than for the Motel 6 right on the freeway -- which doesn't have breakfast or free wi-fi.

I heartily recommend this hotel for its amenities, location, and most of all its great value.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side (odd numbers) may be slightly quieter than those on the east side.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Belmont, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
We are gald to hear that you and your family had an enjoyable stay at our hotel while visiting your son in South San Francisco.
We value and appreciate you sharing your experience with us and hope to have you as our guest again on your next trip to the Bay Area.

Best regards,

Tlaquepaque, Jalisco, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I've been in this hotel twice, for 2 and 3 weeks each trip and I cannot be happier. Rooms are very clean, services are OK, price is excellent for what we get, the hotel is not that far away from SF city and there are a lot of places where you can go around Belmont/San Carlos/San Mateo.
Parking lot is nice, breakfast is perfect for an "american breakfast" standard (eggs, bread, coffee, yogurth, milk, cereal, cinnamon rolls, tee), waaaay more than you get on other hotels (American LongStay for example only serves coffee, fruit and cookies).

The only downside of the hotel is the internet services, it worked so-so from our room, it was perfect in the lobby and dinner are although.

But my review my is called "people make the difference" and that's why I would return to this hotel many many times in my business trips to bay area: from the Manager (Samir) to the really nice people that cleaned our room, to all the people that stayed up late everyday and specially Francis the most kind and helpful person I've meet in a hotel they are ALL amazing people that will make your long stay easier. It was a joy to even stayed up late working in the dinning area.

Francis and all the team offered us yogurt/milk/bread from the fridge even tough it is supposed to be closed.

We invited some friends to work at the lobby, ordered some pizza and we all enjoyed an excellent evening working and chating, no one complained about it, other hotels will even bother you if you stay late in public areas.

Overall my experience there was amazing, highly recommended hotel with nice price, excellent room and AMAZING people.

Thank you all!

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect! I've been there twice but I traveled with more people so I know at least...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,
My entire staff & I would like to thank you for the kind words.
We really appreciate your openion and are glad that you enjoyed your stay.
We will keep working hard to make sure that we would meet your expectations on your next visit.

Warmest Regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here one night recently and found it to be a very pleasant stay. We received a free room upgrade upon check-in, found the staff to be very friendly, and found plenty of convenient parking available. The complimentary breakfast was your standard Holiday Inn Express breakfast and the wifi was quick and reliable. If you want to see San Francisco and don't mind having to drive into the city, I'd highly recommend staying here. San Francisco hotels are incredibly expensive, so if you don't mind having to drive a little bit, you can stay here for half the price (not to mention free parking, something that is hard to come by in San Francisco). Our only complaint about this place is that the bathroom door in our room would not stay open... a very minor issue, but something we did not care for. Also, this was probably specific to our time staying there, but the fire alarm repeatedly went off between a bit before 8 and 9 AM. This was an annoyance, but I would not hold this against the hotel as I'm sure it was an isolated incident.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your honest and sincere comments.
I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay and I personally apologize for the inconvenience you experienced because of the Fire Alarm. I think that the fire alarm situation was a one time problem that did not occure again.

Hope to have you as our guest on your next trip to the area.

Warmest Regards,

Samir Y. Mshasha

Been to Holiday Inn Express Suites Belmont? Share your experiences!