“knock out experience at the gates to Yosemite” 4 of 5 stars

The Pines Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   54432 Road 432, Bass Lake, CA 93604   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bass Lake
Dallas Texas
“knock out experience at the gates to Yosemite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

A dazzling experience just minutes away from the south entry to Yosemite. A beautiful property with great ammenities and lakeside view, pleasant accomodations and plenty of activities, this is a great spot to stay while visiting the park. We chose is because we needed a place that was pet friendly and the park is not so pet friendly, and in hindsight we could not have made a better choice regardless.

We would definitiely go back and take another Chalet with friends.

We were not impressed by the dining room's service or kitchen.

Room Tip: the chalets are defiinitely a great choice with decks and stoves and kitchenettes.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tammie L, Front Office Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
Playa Del Rey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

For me it seems like the ideal resort. Have dinner in Duces get a great bottle of wine. Wander around the property enjoy the smell of the pines. Of course the 4th is special. Get up early and drive over to Yosemite for an early hike.
P.S. I did not try the spa but I did not know how to unclick the item

Room Tip: I like any of the rooms with a lake view, but that is just my tastes.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tammie L, Front Office Manager at The Pines Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Fourth of July is quite an exciting time for us as we are the only place in the area that has fireworks. So glad you were here to see them with us. Hope you will return to see us again.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I forgot how lovely Bass Lake is. I used to go during winter but it is really nice during the summer. I used to stay in the chalets but this time I stayed in a room. Very nice size, great view and loved the wooden deck right outside.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is always good to experience the Chalets and the Suites. Look forward to your future stay.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We spent 4 days at the resort with friends and kids in two adjoining chalets. We had everything we needed: the kitchen is well-equipped, everything was in working order, the cabin was clean, the beds are comfortable. My only little comment is that the balcony is very dirty, but this didn't stop us from enjoying our stay.
The customer service part:
When we first arrived, the AC in one of the rooms was broken. We called the maintenance and it was fixed within 30 minutes.
Now about the boat rental place:
we rented a big party boat for a day. Half way we saw the boat leaning to one side and we quickly made it back to the dock. There was a problem with the boat and the way the personnel handled the situation is just great! We got an excellent deal: free gas, 30% off the boat rental for the next day. Couldn't have been happier.
And the personnel are all very nice.
Will go back soon! :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will be returning soon.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and two sons (9 and 12 years old). Paid $199 (which I thought a splurge) and stayed one night on our way to Yosemite. My first impression, that lasted me throughout our stay, was at the check in facility. The place had an old musty smell and look. The receptionists were answering phones for staff and talking on walkie talkies while checking me in which I thought rude. Our room was very well located near the lake. It was a two story with the kitchen and living area on the first floor and our room with two queens on the lower floor. Spectacular view of the lake from our top floor terrace (which had a table and chairs (table was dirty). The carpeting and furniture were old - I guess some would call it rustic but I thought it very shabby and frankly, gross, particularly the sofa. Wifi was spotty and my cell service didn't work there so it was very frustrating trying to communicate with my parents who were staying elsewhere in Oakhurst - plus it ended up being my last chance to check email before going into Yosemite which also has limited internet/cell access. Our room was cooled via swamp cooler - no air conditioning. The cooling system cooled the top room nicely but when it came time to sleep were were dying of heat. My family very much enjoyed swimming and renting jet skis at The Pines dock. The pool was not well kept and for a time, there were no pool-side towels. There's a little beach but there's nothing to sit on (a sign at the pool says not to take the chairs to the beach) and it's hot - tents/cabanas would have been nice. Calling The Pines a "resort" is really stretching it - maybe in the 70's this place was amazing but no longer. I would NOT stay at The Pines Resort again. Rather, I'd stay somewhere else and use The Pines lake rental facilities only. My parents stayed at the Houndstooth B&B for half the price and they found it delightful and it included breakfast (breakfast was not included in our stay at The Pines). I'm sure there are other equally nice places to stay near Oakhurst.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
I apologize that you feel that your stay was not satisfactory. The chalets have a rustic appeal to them, however the owners of two years have made great improvements in the last two years and it will be a continued effort on their part to complete the chalets. As far as the lake it is a public lake therefor we are unable to keep chairs and umbrellas at the beach area. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our facilities, but hope that you would give us a call to voice your opinion to us.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I write this review simply to help other travelers make decisions about whether or not to stay here and of course this is just my opinion
pros...
-)we were not able to make the first night of our booked stay and the hotel did not charge us which was very nice of them
-)for reasons you will see below we checked out after one night and even though we had booked to stay 6 nights - we were able to do this without any problems
-)although we checked out after one night we did return for the July 4th barbecue as we had already purchased the tickets and it was a very good event. the food was much better than i had expected - the band was excellent and the fireworks display was very good.
-)staff were helpful and friendly apart from Miranda who I found to be quite rude. (see below)

cons
-)we booked to stay in a chalet (as that was allegedly the only accommodation that was available and would fit us and our 3 small children) which contained a downstairs room with a king bed and an upstairs sofa bed. Firstly there was no way I was going to let our 3 small kids sleep upstairs on the sofa bed in the room which contained both the chalet front door and the patio doors out onto the outside deck while we were in a downstairs room. Even though when i booked the hotel this was the agreed plan with whoever took my booking. Anyone who has small children will understand my concerns!
-) maybe i just have very high standards but i thought the accommodation was appalling - absolutely disgusting. The liberal use of the word 'luxury' on the website is not misleading - it is a downright lie.
Even travelling the world for a year as a backpacker - i dont think i ever stayed somewhere so horrible. Dark, dank, smelly, dirty, just utterly utterly horrible. I saw the pictures on the website so i had a fair idea that it wasn't going to be luxury but i figured for $300 per night (incl taxes) it couldn't be that bad, given that i have stayed at the ritz carlton in Lake tahoe for $349 per night!
The downstairs of the chalet felt like a tiny ships cabin. Very low ceilings - small room carpet grubby - the kind of place where i took great care to always wear shoes and not walk barefoot!
After one night of sleeping on the sofa bed , my husband said he simply would not be able to walk if he had to sleep on it for a whole week.
-)The 'air conditioning' unit was on a par - decibelly speaking - with a pneumatic drill inside the room.
-)As a previous reviewer has stated - the chairs and table on the outside deck were FILTHY. They clearly had not been cleaned for a very long time.
-)We ate once upstairs at the grill at Duceys and the food was very very bad. Just the usual unhealthy deep fried American fare. Service was very slow and not particularly nice.
-) the concrete edge around the pool was literally crumbling and falling off into the actual pool , and the pool was also dirty. Also there were no towels around the pool so we had to walk all the way back to our chalet in our wet costumes. And the loungers around the pool were flithy and probably about 30 years old.
-) perhaps this one if my fault, but the impression i got from the hotel website was that it was in yosemite or at least very close. It is in fact at least an 30 minute drive from the park entrance and another hour to yosemite village.

In conclusion i feel bad writing a review that potentially affects somebodys livelihood but in this day and age i think it is a disgrace that the owners of this property are taking $300 dollars a night for revolting accommodation and clearly not putting that money back into the property. After one night here we went hunting for other accommodation and stayed at Tenaya Lodge. Though had we not found accommodation elsewhere we would have come home. Why anybody would stay at the Pines resort when you can stay at Tenaya for a little bit more money - is absolutely beyond me. The owners may well say that they have updated soft furnishings etc etc recently but i see no evidence of that and anyway would you fly across the atlantic in a plane that hadn't been touched for 40 odd years simply because it had new seat covers and carpet.

I would not recommend this to anybody to stay in - i could not say that i would recommend it to somebody on a budget because a) its not budget prices and b) you could stay in Oakhurst at a holiday inn for example for alot less money and it would be alot cleaner and nicer.

Rustic doesn't have to mean gross. If you want rustic i would suggest camping in your own clean tent. Even my kids said after we left that they thought it was horrible (and we were very careful not to let them know our feelings about it).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Please contact us directly regarding your stay. Ask to speak to the General Manager and we will assist in your displeasure of the resort.
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

As part of a Thomas Cook Tour, we arrived on 14th June and left on 16th - we were allocated a Cabin - what a disappointment. On entering the cabin there was a musty smell throughout. All the surfaces were grubby. The TV in the bedroom wasn't working, the fridge defrosted after 1 day. We went to sit on the patio (no view whatsoever) and had to scrub the chairs and table before we could use them. We were unable to open the bedroom window as the fly screen was broken (there was no air con in the bedroom which was very dark and dank).
The rings on the cooker top were floating (why?) The picture of the sign the says it all!! - it's tired!!

In your reviews going back to 2011, it is obvious that nothing has changed. The suites appear to be great but you should knock the cabins down and start again..

J & L. P

Room Tip: Avoid the Cabins at all costs.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please contact us directly regarding your stay.

Tammie Langevin

Been to The Pines Resort? Share your experiences!