“Fabulous Food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have never written a review before but felt I had to after visiting this restaurant. We came across the Whitehouse Restaurant whilst exploring Scotland. The food was excellant and the children in our party were made to feel welcome. The chef even offered to make my 5 year old son Macaroni cheese, however he chose one of the starters as his main meal (which he ate every last bit!). Three of us had the beef which was absolutely beautiful and my husband had the 2 course set menu of belly pork for starters and haddock and mussels in a cider and mussel sauce which he said was fantastic. The restaurant is quite a drive but well worth it and the location is stunning.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A foodies dream”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

In a stunning location overlooking the bay, this restaurant, although not the easiest to get to, is well worth a visit - a must for any foodies. This was our second visit, and was just as good as the first time. I had the smoked chowder which was amazingly tasty, and my partner said his scallops were the best he's ever eaten. I had then had the duck with a delicious cider sauce (duck skin could have been crispy, but that's just my preference). My partner had turbot with a roasted oyster (which he says was amazing and the best oyster he's ever had too!). Dessert is a must - both absolutely delicious: cold rice pudding with plum compote and pear granita and strawberry cheese cake,icecream and milkshake. Simply two of the best desserts we've ever had. Service was great: friendly waitress and unusual menu presentation - on a huge blackboard which is presented to each table when required. From our table we could see the kitchen and the food being prepared which was great - and the chef was very friendly and personable too which added to our experience.

Renfrew, United Kingdom
“Q'white' delightful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Together with my wife and two friends we had dinner at the Whitehouse Restaurant last night. As usual, the food (with a strong emphasis on seafood) was excellent - Mike and Lee the two chefs really know their jobs, mike being the main chef and Lee is the sous/pastry chef. The service was also first class. The wine list isn't vast but provides a perfectly good choice. The prices are not inexpensive but are in line with the quality of the food around £30-£35 for three courses. I would thoroughly recommend this restaurant.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Isle of Mull, United Kingdom
“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

This is the best food for miles around on the Morvern peninsula or Isle of Mull. It can be reached from Mull via the Fishnish ferry - a fun trip in its own right. The food is really spectacular - fresh and innovative and delicious - and the wine list is excellent. It is worth a diversion especially to eat here if you are in this area. We visit this lovely restaurant at every opportunity.

• Visited June 2012
Port Appin, United Kingdom
“Best meal for ages!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I travel a fair bit and have been lucky enough to eat in a lot of lovely restaurants in the last year, but the lunch we had in the Whitehouse was amongst the finest I have eaten in a long time. Arriving at the community pontoons at Lochaline on a simply sparkling August afternoon was amazing and the 15 minute walk to the restaurant helps build an appetite! Small but beautifully formed the restaurant was lovely. The menu is a little "different" but I could have happily chosen several dishes all of which use fresh, local produce. We both started with the local diver caught scallops with a sauce vierge - how lovely to have scallops served in such a simple but tasty way and I have to admit they were the best I've ever tasted. We both continued with local venison in a garden berries sauce - it melted in the mouth. The wine list is short but good, however we ended up choosing a special offer Chablis which was lovely. It's not a place for a cheap meal but frankly it was worth every penny. There is a set menu on offer for lunch which is very good value but we couldn't resist the full a la carte.The service was friendly and efficient - the Italian party visiting the same lunchtime seemed equally impressed. Can't wait to go back again.