“Clean - good value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - California Avenue

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - California Avenue to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - California Avenue
Ranked #26 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
San Diego
“Clean - good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Overnight stay was adequate. Smallest queen size bed I've ever slept in, but the room, and the bed, was comfortable and clean. Microwave, sink, dishes, full size refrigerator would make this good for a couple of days stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - California Avenue, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Hi Kanda,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels.

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Chennai, India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

It maybe value for money, but I didnt really enjoy my 2.5 week stay here. They gave me a room at the back of the hotel despite my asking for one away from the freeway. I was here on business for 4 weeks and cut it short.

The front desk isnt really warm enough, and no one really sits at the desk 24 hours. Even during the mornings and evenings, you have to ring to get their attention. Breakfast is a joke, but they dont advertise otherwise; so I wouldnt complain. I just wish my company wasnt stingy enough to book me here at the lowest rate they found on the internet. The treatment you get at the front desk is completely different if you book through the property or otherwise. So I got the stale end of it. Poor sleep quality because of the constant noise from the freeway right outside my room.

This has nothing to do with the hotel, but Bakersfield is in the middle of nowhere and you cant get anywhere without a rental car or a cab which would cost you a bomb. I dont know if this was just my room, but they say the kitchen is fully equipped, but all they have is two pans and a laddle; really small bowls which isnt really enough to cook a meal. With nothing out there in Bakersfield in walking distance, you have to depend on your own cooking.

Terribly loud air conditioning unit; the unit itself is inside the room making it worse. TV is tuned down to a low volume, so if you're cooking, with the microwave on and your a/c unit on, you might as well not watch any television.

All in all, I wouldnt come back to Bakersfield, much less, stay in ESA!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - California Avenue, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Gayathri - I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry that our staff did not attend to your needs properly. In response to this feedback, I am coaching the entire team on how to provide better customer service moving forward. As well, I apologize that our location and grab-and-go breakfast did not meet your expectations. The breakfast is a new feature, one which we are still fine tuning. As we do so, we will definitely keep your remarks in mind.

Thank you again for your comments. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at bak@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

I travel for work and have been staying 4 days a week at this location since December. The staff is extremely helpful, and professional. I read some of the other reviews about this hotel and would like to add my own comments. First off, it is a hotel. It is not going to ever be perfect. Any issues I have ever had with the room (ie. broken a/c, noisy neighbors, missing items etc) simply required notifying the front desk. Any problems were immediately taken care of. It seems many of people's complaints were about issues that could have been addressed if they brought it up! The hotel does allow pets so there will be some cleanliness issues at times. I personally bring air freshener and any hotel smells are magically erased lol. However if not, room changes can be done. Yes that may be a pain in the butt, but if it is really bothering you, then just ask to be changed. I personally am not bothered that the room is by the freeway or railroad tracks and never use earplugs. I will say though it does sometimes feel like a small earthquake when a train lumbers by, but this is coming from a non-native Californian. Once I realized it was the train and not the start of an earthquake, everything was fine and now I do not even notice.

For the price you get many bonuses: full size fridge, 2 stove top burners, microwave, toaster, coffee maker and pots and pans. There is also coffee/tea/hot chocolate, granola bars, oatmeal bars and fruit offered in the morning. Perfect to grab and go! I would recommend this hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed June 2013
Fresno
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed here for several days last month and widely varying experiences. A few times the room I stayed in (102 or maybe 201?) had obviously had a dog in it before me. It REEKED of the "wet dog smell." The next time I was there (#307), the room smelled fine and it was comfortable. You just need to be firm with the front desk clerks re: your preference. As a side note, all of my stays were booked thru Priceline and I noticed a definite attitude when the clerk mentioned that my reservation had been made thru a "third party." That should not factor in to the room you are placed in, but it obviously does. :-(

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed for one night over the memorial weekend. Hotel was decent nothing over the top. beware of the early check in fee. Parking lot is weird & gps points you in a different direction its in the same parking lot as Logans Steakhouse & Camelot Park. Backs up to the highway & railroad tracks. Freeway noise all throughout the night. As for the room...average. Hard uncomfortable bed, bathroom had no ventilation which I'm assuming is the cause of the mold all over the ceiling. Bring your own toiletries. They only give you 2 bars of soap. Came home around 1am & saw a few suspicious characters roaming the parking lot. I literally didn't want to get out of the car. I know my previous statements sound horrible but it wasn't the worst place I've stayed so I guess I can't complain.

• Stayed May 2013
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - California Avenue, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post of review of your stay. I appreciate your feedback and I am sorry if you felt uncomfortable or inconvenienced during your stay. I am grateful for your feedback and will use it to make changes and continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please contact me at bak@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

The young lady running the front desk was very polite and professional. We were treated very well by the manager, who assured us if we needed anything to just ask. The rooms were very clean, and had everything I had hoped for. Will definitely be coming back! Do not stay at the extended stay on Chester! Night and day difference between the two.

• Stayed May 2013
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - California Avenue, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that enjoyed your stay at our Bakerfield location. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Los Angeles, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

check- in was no problem, but dishes in cabinet had visible old food on them, the plumbing was reversed on all the faucets, and as a result hard to take a hot shower. also no hot water next morning.

dont forget it is also next to train tracks with poor soundproofing......

Room Tip: be sure to ask for a room on the front side of facility.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience our proximity to the train tracks caused as well as the concerns mentioned about the room. Our goal is to make sure all of our guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay. I will address the issues with the room and search for a possible solution to the noise. I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this feedback. If there anything further I can assist you with please contact me at bak@extendedstay.com. We hope you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Been to Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - California Avenue? Share your experiences!