“Excellent value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
Phoenix
“Excellent value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed here by chance as we were looking for a hotel on the way to the Yosemite Park. It was amazing value for money. The room and shower were large and spotless and had a small refrigerator. Beds were very comfortable. The breakfast room was large and spread out with a good choice of food. The gym was also spotless with televisions on every treadmill, clean towels and drinking water. The pool was small but adequate. The only thing I dont understand is why the air conditioning was set on 66 degrees, the room was an ice box when we entered and we had to leave the door open to try and heat it up a little. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

While the neighborhood looks a little rough the hotel itself is great and it was very quiet; our room was on the first floor and we heard no noises. The staff was fantastic and we were even allowed to check in early. There's a military discount so be sure to ask for it and bring along government ID to show proof. Plenty of parking space and the WiFi works great and the breakfast is tasty.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The hotel looks rough from the outside but once you get in you are greeted by virtuous staff and the hotel is getting a facelift inside so they are quick to let you know they are sorry for the dust. But once I got to my room I was very happy to deal with the dust. The room I was in was one of the newly remodeled and was amazing. I don't have anything else to add orher than they did have a pool and jacuzzi but I didn't use them.

• Stayed August 2013
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is clean and has very friendly staff, including the maids. Room had a microwave & small refrigerator and also free Wi-Fi. There were also several pc's & a printer in the lobby area for customers to use, as well as current newspapers to read. I did like that there were 2 layers of drapes in the room, one for allowing light to enter and still be able to see out somewhat, the other for room black-out & complete privacy. The showerhead was amazingly large, which, with the good water pressure made for easy rinsing of my long hair. The breakfast was fantastic, offering various food items i.e., scrambled eggs, bacon, cereals, juice, coffee, milk, real cream, great cinnamon rolls, yogurt, sausage, etc. The food service staff was close-by & attentive to everyone's needs & requests. My room was close to the pool but I did not experience any noise from swimmers as another rater did...I believe that rater may have confused this hotel with another Holiday Inn as this one is not next to the freeway as he stated. The one thing I did notice which was out-of-character with HIE was that the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling in a couple of areas. I was also disappointed in the area in which the hotel was located, as it bordered on a somewhat run-down area of town which (in my opinion as a woman) was not suitable for taking walks or shopping. However, with these things in mind & my ability to plan ahead for walking/shopping elsewhere, I would definately return to this hotel because of the friendliness of staff, the clean & quiet rooms, the wonderful breakfast, and the affordable rate offered to me as a convention delegate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the modern, clean lobby and it just kept getting better!

The front desk clerk handed me water & snack bar while checking-in and they were very helpful with restaurant locations and a map. My room was as requested in my profile, top floor and end of hall away from elevator,etc. The room was very large, totally remodeled and cool on the 105 degree afternoon. Wifi was strong and breakfast had eggs and assorted breads, pastry, cereals, yogurt, fruit, etc.

It had the best rate in the area and don't let the neighborhood discourage you. The parking was secure and I felt very safe in the property with a cordial and efficient staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
El Dorado County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Very clean hotel currently being remodeled (3rd floor where the ice machine is); very attentive staff; very clean breakfast area with well stocked items. This HI Xpress had the best rates of the three IHG's in Bakersfield; presumably due to the location (off the 99 a few blocks and embedded in a neighborhood as one recent reviewer pointed out; and the remodeling in progress). Very clean and newly renovated lobby and rooms; parking was great and appeared secure to ease any aforementioned neighborhood observation perception. Flat screen television; new linens. Staff very attentive. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Four floors; hotel is set back 3-4 blocks from 99; east side would be the quietest. Ice machine is...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Arrived in Bakersfield, and as typical in July, it was very hot. Needed a cool and comfortable place to stay before heading on to Sequoia. Delicious looking Iced water was waiting for us at the reception area. We were recognized as a Priority Club member and offered bottled water and nutrition bars. Very nice. Not sure of the man's name who checked us in, but he was a very friendly person and offered us tips for our travel to the Sequoias. He is a great asset to the hotel. If I could guess, I'd say his name was Jason (but not sure).

We rented two rooms as I was bringing family with me. Both were well appointed and clean. A lovely fragrance of toiletries were given (Bath & Body Works White Ginger). Smells divine! We had a Coffee pot, nice bedding and a comfortable bed, a refrigerator and a microwave in our room. Everything nice. Didn't use the T.V. so can't comment on it.

I thought the wall-air conditioner was a little loud when I put the fan on high, which is to be expected from those types of air conditioning units (non-central). Since I always travel with my earplugs, I slept through the fan noise. We slept very well, and before heading out to Sequoia, we ate their complimentary breakfast. It was adequate but had a lot of variety from which to choose.

The hotel was still undergoing reconstruction but it was of no problem to us. It is a good location and I'd stay their again. Thank you to the young man at the desk who checked us in!

Room Tip: The hotel has both smoking and non-smoking rooms. Be sure to ask for a non-smoking if you don't...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bakersfield? Share your experiences!