“Just what you want out of a low prices hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
“Just what you want out of a low prices hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

The hotel looks rough from the outside but once you get in you are greeted by virtuous staff and the hotel is getting a facelift inside so they are quick to let you know they are sorry for the dust. But once I got to my room I was very happy to deal with the dust. The room I was in was one of the newly remodeled and was amazing. I don't have anything else to add orher than they did have a pool and jacuzzi but I didn't use them.

• Stayed August 2013

133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is clean and has very friendly staff, including the maids. Room had a microwave & small refrigerator and also free Wi-Fi. There were also several pc's & a printer in the lobby area for customers to use, as well as current newspapers to read. I did like that there were 2 layers of drapes in the room, one for allowing light to enter and still be able to see out somewhat, the other for room black-out & complete privacy. The showerhead was amazingly large, which, with the good water pressure made for easy rinsing of my long hair. The breakfast was fantastic, offering various food items i.e., scrambled eggs, bacon, cereals, juice, coffee, milk, real cream, great cinnamon rolls, yogurt, sausage, etc. The food service staff was close-by & attentive to everyone's needs & requests. My room was close to the pool but I did not experience any noise from swimmers as another rater did...I believe that rater may have confused this hotel with another Holiday Inn as this one is not next to the freeway as he stated. The one thing I did notice which was out-of-character with HIE was that the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling in a couple of areas. I was also disappointed in the area in which the hotel was located, as it bordered on a somewhat run-down area of town which (in my opinion as a woman) was not suitable for taking walks or shopping. However, with these things in mind & my ability to plan ahead for walking/shopping elsewhere, I would definately return to this hotel because of the friendliness of staff, the clean & quiet rooms, the wonderful breakfast, and the affordable rate offered to me as a convention delegate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the modern, clean lobby and it just kept getting better!

The front desk clerk handed me water & snack bar while checking-in and they were very helpful with restaurant locations and a map. My room was as requested in my profile, top floor and end of hall away from elevator,etc. The room was very large, totally remodeled and cool on the 105 degree afternoon. Wifi was strong and breakfast had eggs and assorted breads, pastry, cereals, yogurt, fruit, etc.

It had the best rate in the area and don't let the neighborhood discourage you. The parking was secure and I felt very safe in the property with a cordial and efficient staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
El Dorado County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Very clean hotel currently being remodeled (3rd floor where the ice machine is); very attentive staff; very clean breakfast area with well stocked items. This HI Xpress had the best rates of the three IHG's in Bakersfield; presumably due to the location (off the 99 a few blocks and embedded in a neighborhood as one recent reviewer pointed out; and the remodeling in progress). Very clean and newly renovated lobby and rooms; parking was great and appeared secure to ease any aforementioned neighborhood observation perception. Flat screen television; new linens. Staff very attentive. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Four floors; hotel is set back 3-4 blocks from 99; east side would be the quietest. Ice machine is...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Arrived in Bakersfield, and as typical in July, it was very hot. Needed a cool and comfortable place to stay before heading on to Sequoia. Delicious looking Iced water was waiting for us at the reception area. We were recognized as a Priority Club member and offered bottled water and nutrition bars. Very nice. Not sure of the man's name who checked us in, but he was a very friendly person and offered us tips for our travel to the Sequoias. He is a great asset to the hotel. If I could guess, I'd say his name was Jason (but not sure).

We rented two rooms as I was bringing family with me. Both were well appointed and clean. A lovely fragrance of toiletries were given (Bath & Body Works White Ginger). Smells divine! We had a Coffee pot, nice bedding and a comfortable bed, a refrigerator and a microwave in our room. Everything nice. Didn't use the T.V. so can't comment on it.

I thought the wall-air conditioner was a little loud when I put the fan on high, which is to be expected from those types of air conditioning units (non-central). Since I always travel with my earplugs, I slept through the fan noise. We slept very well, and before heading out to Sequoia, we ate their complimentary breakfast. It was adequate but had a lot of variety from which to choose.

The hotel was still undergoing reconstruction but it was of no problem to us. It is a good location and I'd stay their again. Thank you to the young man at the desk who checked us in!

Room Tip: The hotel has both smoking and non-smoking rooms. Be sure to ask for a non-smoking if you don't...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sun City West, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Our touring group of 50 stayed overnight here on the way home. We did see some construction work going on at the entrance outside and inside but there was never a problem. Our motor coach let us off in the rear of the motel -- we were met and escorted in while our luggage was taken to our rooms. We heard a train going by and we wondered if we would be hearing it all night -- we never heard it again. The rooms were nicely appointed and apparently newly remodeled. There was free WiFi -- the only place we stayed on our trip that didn't charge extra. Breakfast had everything we needed -- the attendant kept the area well stocked knowing we all needed to leave shortly. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it besides.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

A recent business meeting required me to spend one night in Bakersfield, and after reading several unfavorable reviews of this property on Tripadvisor I was a bit reluctant to stay there. Fortunately, I did and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. This property is set back a few blocks from Hwy. 99, and you do not hear the freeway. The other HIE property (I believe it is called Bakersfield Suites) backs up to the 99 freeway. So very happy I didn't select that one with all that noise & pollution.

Currently, the hotel is undergoing a rather massive renovation, and from the looks of some of its' old furniture and wallpaper it clearly needed it. However, I requested and was given one of the renovated rooms and found it excellent. The hotel is being renovated with new redesigned interiors that are more modern and contemporary and look great. My room was large and spacious, with great linens and towels, and a new flat screen 32" (or possibly 40") TV. Room was quiet and comfortable, and the construction crews were more than gracious. In fact, a couple of times when I was on the elevator and it stopped at one of the floors under renovation I heard a crewman say 'guest' and they waited to use it so they wouldn't bother me. So except for seeing the contractors and some of the debris outside of the hotel, the construction did not bother me. And I did not notice any additional noise. The floor my room was on had already been renovated (4th floor), and it was great and looks great.

The lobby is almost done, and the breakfast room was finished and looked great. Typical HIE breakfast buffet spread which is always nice and welcome. The pool area was clean and comfortable, and there was plenty of free parking. The hotel has a small gym, which has already been renovated and it was perfect. Brand new equipment (treadmill, bike, and stair machine) and stretching area with weighted balls and dumbbells (5-50 lb.). Very small but very functional.

Several reviewers commented on the fact that this hotel is located near train tracks (which it is) and that this was bothersome. I only saw one train during my stay, and it was only because I was in the parking lot and could see it. Otherwise I did not notice any noise from the train tracks. If you are concerned about train noise I would suggest you request a room facing the rear of the hotel which faces away from the train tracks.

I had a great stay at this property. But if a little mess, and the idea that it is not 'finished' bothers you, I would suggest you stay elsewhere until it is finished (which should be late this summer I believe). But if you can tolerate a little bit of dust, you'll find a friendly, comfortable, and nicely 'redesigned' Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about street noise and noise from the nearby train tracks request a room facing...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bakersfield? Share your experiences!