“Gr8 Hotel in Not-So-Gr8 area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
Cardiff
“Gr8 Hotel in Not-So-Gr8 area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the modern, clean lobby and it just kept getting better!

The front desk clerk handed me water & snack bar while checking-in and they were very helpful with restaurant locations and a map. My room was as requested in my profile, top floor and end of hall away from elevator,etc. The room was very large, totally remodeled and cool on the 105 degree afternoon. Wifi was strong and breakfast had eggs and assorted breads, pastry, cereals, yogurt, fruit, etc.

It had the best rate in the area and don't let the neighborhood discourage you. The parking was secure and I felt very safe in the property with a cordial and efficient staff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
El Dorado County
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Very clean hotel currently being remodeled (3rd floor where the ice machine is); very attentive staff; very clean breakfast area with well stocked items. This HI Xpress had the best rates of the three IHG's in Bakersfield; presumably due to the location (off the 99 a few blocks and embedded in a neighborhood as one recent reviewer pointed out; and the remodeling in progress). Very clean and newly renovated lobby and rooms; parking was great and appeared secure to ease any aforementioned neighborhood observation perception. Flat screen television; new linens. Staff very attentive. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Four floors; hotel is set back 3-4 blocks from 99; east side would be the quietest. Ice machine is...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Arrived in Bakersfield, and as typical in July, it was very hot. Needed a cool and comfortable place to stay before heading on to Sequoia. Delicious looking Iced water was waiting for us at the reception area. We were recognized as a Priority Club member and offered bottled water and nutrition bars. Very nice. Not sure of the man's name who checked us in, but he was a very friendly person and offered us tips for our travel to the Sequoias. He is a great asset to the hotel. If I could guess, I'd say his name was Jason (but not sure).

We rented two rooms as I was bringing family with me. Both were well appointed and clean. A lovely fragrance of toiletries were given (Bath & Body Works White Ginger). Smells divine! We had a Coffee pot, nice bedding and a comfortable bed, a refrigerator and a microwave in our room. Everything nice. Didn't use the T.V. so can't comment on it.

I thought the wall-air conditioner was a little loud when I put the fan on high, which is to be expected from those types of air conditioning units (non-central). Since I always travel with my earplugs, I slept through the fan noise. We slept very well, and before heading out to Sequoia, we ate their complimentary breakfast. It was adequate but had a lot of variety from which to choose.

The hotel was still undergoing reconstruction but it was of no problem to us. It is a good location and I'd stay their again. Thank you to the young man at the desk who checked us in!

Room Tip: The hotel has both smoking and non-smoking rooms. Be sure to ask for a non-smoking if you don't...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sun City West, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Our touring group of 50 stayed overnight here on the way home. We did see some construction work going on at the entrance outside and inside but there was never a problem. Our motor coach let us off in the rear of the motel -- we were met and escorted in while our luggage was taken to our rooms. We heard a train going by and we wondered if we would be hearing it all night -- we never heard it again. The rooms were nicely appointed and apparently newly remodeled. There was free WiFi -- the only place we stayed on our trip that didn't charge extra. Breakfast had everything we needed -- the attendant kept the area well stocked knowing we all needed to leave shortly. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it besides.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

A recent business meeting required me to spend one night in Bakersfield, and after reading several unfavorable reviews of this property on Tripadvisor I was a bit reluctant to stay there. Fortunately, I did and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. This property is set back a few blocks from Hwy. 99, and you do not hear the freeway. The other HIE property (I believe it is called Bakersfield Suites) backs up to the 99 freeway. So very happy I didn't select that one with all that noise & pollution.

Currently, the hotel is undergoing a rather massive renovation, and from the looks of some of its' old furniture and wallpaper it clearly needed it. However, I requested and was given one of the renovated rooms and found it excellent. The hotel is being renovated with new redesigned interiors that are more modern and contemporary and look great. My room was large and spacious, with great linens and towels, and a new flat screen 32" (or possibly 40") TV. Room was quiet and comfortable, and the construction crews were more than gracious. In fact, a couple of times when I was on the elevator and it stopped at one of the floors under renovation I heard a crewman say 'guest' and they waited to use it so they wouldn't bother me. So except for seeing the contractors and some of the debris outside of the hotel, the construction did not bother me. And I did not notice any additional noise. The floor my room was on had already been renovated (4th floor), and it was great and looks great.

The lobby is almost done, and the breakfast room was finished and looked great. Typical HIE breakfast buffet spread which is always nice and welcome. The pool area was clean and comfortable, and there was plenty of free parking. The hotel has a small gym, which has already been renovated and it was perfect. Brand new equipment (treadmill, bike, and stair machine) and stretching area with weighted balls and dumbbells (5-50 lb.). Very small but very functional.

Several reviewers commented on the fact that this hotel is located near train tracks (which it is) and that this was bothersome. I only saw one train during my stay, and it was only because I was in the parking lot and could see it. Otherwise I did not notice any noise from the train tracks. If you are concerned about train noise I would suggest you request a room facing the rear of the hotel which faces away from the train tracks.

I had a great stay at this property. But if a little mess, and the idea that it is not 'finished' bothers you, I would suggest you stay elsewhere until it is finished (which should be late this summer I believe). But if you can tolerate a little bit of dust, you'll find a friendly, comfortable, and nicely 'redesigned' Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about street noise and noise from the nearby train tracks request a room facing...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Lancaster, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nites at this Holiday Inn, we'd also stayed here last year, during a remodel job. This year the remodel is in a "hold" status, but there are signs of needed construction in the lobby area. Nothing affects the quality of your stay.

Our room was on the top floor, one of the remodeled areas, and the room was absolutely great!! two Queen sized beds, large refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot. A/C worked great, silent and cool. Large bath room with hair dryer and toiletries, choice of pillows and high quality sheets.

Breakfast is more than adequate, with eggs, pancakes, cereal, Great Cinnamon Rolls! Coffee was very tasty and creamers were supplied! Of course, milk, yogurt, juice and fruit was available.

The pool and hot-tub appeared popular and looked good, but we didn't utilized either.

Plenty of dining opportunities within walking distance from; Denny's and fast food, to Subway and numerous local Mexican restaurants.

We used Denny's twice for dinner and have no complaints, food was good and service quick.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side are quieter!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Winter Springs, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am a Priority Club member so I've stayed at several Holiday Inn hotels and this one is to be avoided until they get finished with the reconstruction and cleanup. Another problem is the area of town. It's very rough looking and it gives me pause when I see lots of bars on lots of windows and doors. This is my first time in Bakersfield and I think it may well be my last

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bakersfield, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear rwnelson163,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards member and for leaving us a feedback. Please allow us to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during our renovation process. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the location of our property. We assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bakersfield? Share your experiences!