“Newly Remodeled, Quite Comfy” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
Sun City West, Arizona
“Newly Remodeled, Quite Comfy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Our touring group of 50 stayed overnight here on the way home. We did see some construction work going on at the entrance outside and inside but there was never a problem. Our motor coach let us off in the rear of the motel -- we were met and escorted in while our luggage was taken to our rooms. We heard a train going by and we wondered if we would be hearing it all night -- we never heard it again. The rooms were nicely appointed and apparently newly remodeled. There was free WiFi -- the only place we stayed on our trip that didn't charge extra. Breakfast had everything we needed -- the attendant kept the area well stocked knowing we all needed to leave shortly. We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it besides.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

A recent business meeting required me to spend one night in Bakersfield, and after reading several unfavorable reviews of this property on Tripadvisor I was a bit reluctant to stay there. Fortunately, I did and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. This property is set back a few blocks from Hwy. 99, and you do not hear the freeway. The other HIE property (I believe it is called Bakersfield Suites) backs up to the 99 freeway. So very happy I didn't select that one with all that noise & pollution.

Currently, the hotel is undergoing a rather massive renovation, and from the looks of some of its' old furniture and wallpaper it clearly needed it. However, I requested and was given one of the renovated rooms and found it excellent. The hotel is being renovated with new redesigned interiors that are more modern and contemporary and look great. My room was large and spacious, with great linens and towels, and a new flat screen 32" (or possibly 40") TV. Room was quiet and comfortable, and the construction crews were more than gracious. In fact, a couple of times when I was on the elevator and it stopped at one of the floors under renovation I heard a crewman say 'guest' and they waited to use it so they wouldn't bother me. So except for seeing the contractors and some of the debris outside of the hotel, the construction did not bother me. And I did not notice any additional noise. The floor my room was on had already been renovated (4th floor), and it was great and looks great.

The lobby is almost done, and the breakfast room was finished and looked great. Typical HIE breakfast buffet spread which is always nice and welcome. The pool area was clean and comfortable, and there was plenty of free parking. The hotel has a small gym, which has already been renovated and it was perfect. Brand new equipment (treadmill, bike, and stair machine) and stretching area with weighted balls and dumbbells (5-50 lb.). Very small but very functional.

Several reviewers commented on the fact that this hotel is located near train tracks (which it is) and that this was bothersome. I only saw one train during my stay, and it was only because I was in the parking lot and could see it. Otherwise I did not notice any noise from the train tracks. If you are concerned about train noise I would suggest you request a room facing the rear of the hotel which faces away from the train tracks.

I had a great stay at this property. But if a little mess, and the idea that it is not 'finished' bothers you, I would suggest you stay elsewhere until it is finished (which should be late this summer I believe). But if you can tolerate a little bit of dust, you'll find a friendly, comfortable, and nicely 'redesigned' Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: If you are concerned about street noise and noise from the nearby train tracks request a room facing...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Lancaster, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nites at this Holiday Inn, we'd also stayed here last year, during a remodel job. This year the remodel is in a "hold" status, but there are signs of needed construction in the lobby area. Nothing affects the quality of your stay.

Our room was on the top floor, one of the remodeled areas, and the room was absolutely great!! two Queen sized beds, large refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot. A/C worked great, silent and cool. Large bath room with hair dryer and toiletries, choice of pillows and high quality sheets.

Breakfast is more than adequate, with eggs, pancakes, cereal, Great Cinnamon Rolls! Coffee was very tasty and creamers were supplied! Of course, milk, yogurt, juice and fruit was available.

The pool and hot-tub appeared popular and looked good, but we didn't utilized either.

Plenty of dining opportunities within walking distance from; Denny's and fast food, to Subway and numerous local Mexican restaurants.

We used Denny's twice for dinner and have no complaints, food was good and service quick.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side are quieter!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Winter Springs, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am a Priority Club member so I've stayed at several Holiday Inn hotels and this one is to be avoided until they get finished with the reconstruction and cleanup. Another problem is the area of town. It's very rough looking and it gives me pause when I see lots of bars on lots of windows and doors. This is my first time in Bakersfield and I think it may well be my last

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bakersfield, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear rwnelson163,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Rewards member and for leaving us a feedback. Please allow us to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during our renovation process. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the location of our property. We assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I stay in hotels 300 days out of the year. That being said I really love a comfortable hotel that makes me feel at home. This hotel did that for me. The hotel was under renovation at the time. Usually this goes one of two ways in hotel land. 1) it is hectic, noisy, the workers are rude, and the people at the front desk are stressed and grouchy. 2) the staff does a great job of accomaditing you and making your stay enjoyable. This hotel was definately accomadating and wonderful. Matt at the front desk was so nice and helpful, even tracking down a luggage rack and thanking us for being Choice Privellege members. When you stay in hotels so much it's the little things. Comfortable beds, lots of TV channels, adequate breakfast, fresh cookies, and a great pool area. I highly reccomend this place for a home away from home.

• Stayed May 2013
Yamhill, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is not the hotel we had planned to stay at but even though the price was a bit higher we were very pleased with the room and the service. No issues whatsoever. Clean and quiet. Staff was friendly and professional.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Laguna Niguel, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Pretty much what you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express. Stayed in room 208, Room 308 must have had an elephant walking around at 6:15am making the ceiling squeek!
Breakfast room was chaos at 8:30am on Sunday morning. Plenty of food but could do with more tables.
Good value OK for one night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bakersfield, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear HRHofOC,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the noise levels experienced and if the breakfast situation inconvenienced you. I appreciate you letting us know about these unsatisfactory circumstances as this is our best means of improving our efforts.

Regards,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Bakersfield? Share your experiences!