“Poor service and amenities” 2 of 5 stars

Vagabond Inn Bakersfield South
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6501 Colony Street, Bakersfield, CA 93307   |
Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
San Francisco, California
“Poor service and amenities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Near the end of 2 months travelling Canada and US. Only book hotels that have WiFi (for planning directions and booking ahead), parking and owing to the current heat wave, a swimming pool. Booked two nights at the Vagabond Inn. There was no Internet available the next day, so went to reception to advise. Told me they would reboot. This failed and I was told that the maintenance person would not be available until next day. Ok so went to diner and logged in. Weather was high 90's so decided to go for a swim in the morning. (1st Sept 2013). The swimming pool gates were locked so went to reception. Was told there was a PRIVATE FUNCTION and the pool was booked!,! Party was from 1pm to 4 pm but gates were locked early morning. What was i paying for? Breakfast is from 2am to 9am (hours due to truck driver guests) Went to make a waffle at 7am and no mixture. Went to reception where I was told to wait as receptionist was logging on to her shift. OMG, never stay there. Rooms were clean though.

Room Tip: There are better hotels with better facilities and friendlier staff
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
vagabondinnsouth, Director of Sales at Vagabond Inn Bakersfield South, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
We appreciate your feedback. I can assure you that at our property we strive to make your stay as friendly and comfortable as possible. We sincerely apologize for the issues regarding your most recent stay. The issue has been addressed with our staff. I would personally like to invite you back to our property so that we can make your next stay as enjoyable as possible. Again, I can assure you that you will not run into any of these issues again.

Sincerest apologies,
Jackie Mooers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

On my way back home from a training conference in Northern California I started to become sleepy, so rather than risk crashing I made an unexpected stop in Bakersfield for the night. I was going to stop at Motel 6 but I missed the off ramp, so I exited at Panama Lane with the intent of going the other way on 99 back to that Motel 6. The Vagabond Inn was just off the off ramp, and as it was advertising $35.99 a night (a bit less than the Motel 6 I was going to stop at) I decided to just stop here for the night.

First of all, the "$35.99" was more like "$56" for a single, even though it was Sunday night. But I was exhausted and wasn't about to go searching around for the cheapest room. And even at $56 it wasn't going to break the bank.

However, even at that price I felt the room I got wasn't worth it. I was not expecting a five star hotel, but the carpets were worn and dirty. The door lacked a security chain or bar, so I put a chair beneath the door knob for added security. The window did lock but the frame was not holding the glass in place very well, so I made sure to keep any valuables as far away from it as possible.

The room's cleanliness, carpets notwithstanding, was otherwise OK. However I could see the pool was dirty. A plus is that if you are a trucker, or towing a trailer, there is a lot of off-street parking for you. I didn't take advantage of the free breakfast and went next door to Denny's instead.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. My sincerest apologies go out to you for the issues regarding your stay. At the Vagabond Inn South we strive to make your stay as friendly and comfortable as possible. We are currently remodeling all of our rooms and would like to invite you back to our property so that we can provide you with a much better stay. Unfortunately our 35.99 rate is for a certain room type which it seems that we may have been out of when you arrived on site.

Again our sincerest apologies,
Christchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Inn was convenient if all you required was a bed and you could sleep through a fair bit
of road noise as it is at a freeway interchange an there is a lot of lorries about all through the
night. Hthe beds were comfy but the aircon was not very effective. The carpets were very
grubby as my socks can confirm and also my daughters feet as she walked from shower were black by the time she got to the bed. Breakfast was ok for the price but you can go to the IHOP if you want more. I personally slept ok and got no more than I expected so I was very happy with the accomodation.

Room Tip: Check room before committing.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your feedback. I can assure you that at our property we strive to make your stay as friendly and comfortable as possible. We sincerely apologize for the issues regarding your most recent stay. We are currently removing all carpets from the rooms and installing wood flooring in order to prevent this issue in the future. We hope to see you again in the near future. Again, our sincerest apologies.

Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We were exhausted after driving from Phoenix in a sand storm. We stopped here, as it was the first place we saw. The sign said 35.99, but of course it ended up being close to 80.00 with 2 dogs. Im disappointed they even charged for dogs, as the dogs were cleaner than the room. It was pretty gross. The TV didn't work, the air conditioner/heater was broken. The carpeting was stained quite badly. The bathtub was DISGUSTING. Im sure it was clean...but it was ROTTED thru, and patched with "something" We just went to sleep, and got up at the crack of dawn and got out of there. The people were NICE, but please.....do some deep cleaning!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your feedback. I can assure you that at our property we strive to make your stay as friendly and comfortable as possible. We sincerely apologize for the issues regarding your most recent stay and we will address them with the housekeeping staff. Again our sincerest apologies.

sac
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is the first of what is essentially a two part review, but I didn't think it was fair to combine them into an "average." I have stayed at this property several times as a way to break up the 8 hour drive from northern California to Palm Springs and be able to get in a round of golf on the way down and back. My previous experiences have been positive as was the one I had on my return trip as reflected by a previous review. On the way down, for the first time, I was placed in what is obviously the older part of the motel. The "premium" queen room was not up to the standard of the others in which I'd stayed. When I got to the room, the door was not shut; a result of worn out weatherstripping. I had a hard time getting it closed. The room was badly in need of refurbishing. As usual, the bed was comfortable. They still have funky old tube tvs, but it worked fine. They have cut out small bars of soap and shampoo; you have to use a dispenser, which is mildly irritating but I suppose a cost saving measure. They should warn you that when you put a quarter in their ice machine (also presumably cost saving) you get twice as much ice as the bucket with which they provide you can hold. The really bad part was the freeway noise; this part of the motel is opposite the office, with nothing to buffer the loud noiseof Hwy. 99, plus truckers started rolling out of the parking lot around 5. Not a good night's sleep. I would assume this is the original part of the motel and the "old" room feel would apply as well to the (presumably quieter) north facing rooms in the same building as the office.

The "free breakfast" has deteriorated in quality; nothing offered except some awful tasting malt flavored waffles that you have to make yourself from some disgusting looking batter and some indescribably gross looking biscuits (I think) in some horrid looking gravy. The high school wrestlers were scarfing them up, though. I suppose the juice is ok (had brought the last of the year's crop of mandarins with me in my ice chest) and free coffee is free coffee; not bad. I'd suggest taking the coffee along when you leave and picking up a breakfast sandwich across the street at the Jack in the Box; special, two croissants with egg, ham and bacon for $3.50. I guess my standards have changed some as I've gotten older. Still, if you're on a budget, at under $40 before taxes, this isn't a bad deal if you get one of the newer, quieter rooms (those facing east, toward the pool, perpendicular to the office).

Room Tip: see review; make sure there's a buffer between the front of your room and the freeway
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
vagabondinnsouth, Manager at Vagabond Inn Bakersfield South, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
We appreciate your feedback. I can assure you that at our property we strive to make your stay as friendly and comfortable as possible. We sincerely apologize for the issues regarding your most recent stay. I would personal like to invite you back to our property so that we can make your next stay as enjoyable as your first. Again, our sincerest apologies.

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed at this place on February 19 and enjoyed my stay. I was traveling alone and the lady at the front desk made sure I was in the front building close to the office. The room was clean and smelled fresh. There was a refrigerator in the room as well. I had a really nice rest. The next morning I left at 4:00 am and the breakfast was already being served. They had waffles, cereal, and bisquits and gravy. It was nice to get up and eat and continue with my trip.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you next time your passing through! Thanks again!

Sincerest,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Helpful staff got us room situated as requested. Alma is an angel. She saw to it that belongings left behind were safe and returned intact. Vagabond is extremely fortunate to have such an honorable capable employee.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your review! Alma is a star employee at our hotel and we very much appreciate her integrity as well as the rest of our staff members. We are very happy to hear that your stay was enjoyable and we certainly hope to see you again!

Thanks again,

Jackie Mooers

Been to Vagabond Inn Bakersfield South? Share your experiences!