“Pet-Friendly!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
Chicago
“Pet-Friendly!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

The representative from bringfido.com mentioned that La Quinta Inn is very pet friendly, so we decided to stay here during our last night of a 3 day road trip to California. First, two thumbs up for not charging an additional pet fee or deposit. Love this aspect! I also appreciated that the front desk worker took the time to find me a room on the first-floor, at my request, because we were traveling with two large dogs, four bikes, and a house plant - all of which needed to be brought in from the car. Unfortunately, the exterior hallways meant that there was quite a bit of noise, which prompted my dogs to bark a couple of times throughout the night. Hopefully we didn't disturb other guests too much, but it was unavoidable given the amount of noise outside our room throughout the night.

We would definitely stay at La Quinta Inn again, if traveling with dogs, but would probably book a nicer hotel if we didn't have dogs with us.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

164 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Returning from our recent vacation to LA, we stopped at LaQuinta for a much needed rest after a long day. The front desk staff was very friendly and happy to help us at 1 am in the morning! The price was great. The room showed some signs of wear but it was spotlessly clean and that is what matters! In the morning the staff was, once again, chatty, smiling, friendly and happy to help us. We enjoyed a hot waffle, fruit and coffee,at the continental breakfast provided, before continuing our journey home to northern California. This was our first stay at a LaQuinta but it certainly won't be our last! Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Seems like this location's reviews are all over the place which is a bit confusing guess it depends on the person, their expectations and maybe the luck of the draw. Granted a fridge would have been nice, personally i don't care about the microwave, but i also don't expect this unless listed in the amenities. The room i had was on the top floor, the stay was quiet and uneventful. Bathroom was a bit small had i not been on my own, but this is normal and within expectations. The bed was comfortable enough and check in and out was good. The breakfast bar was disappointing as there was no hot food and really not much else there, had an orange juice and moved on... Would stay again though as hotel was fine for an overnight where i was attending an event in town and not spending the evening in the room itself. Though was comfortable enough in the room itself which was no cramped except the aforementioned bathroom.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Fresno, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

In mid November I started searching web for a motel/hotel in Bakersfield with a smoking room available on Christmas Eve. We are getting a little older so always try to upgrade and find a suite with sofa or chairs for a little more comfort. Places I had previously stayed in Bakersfield had gone none smoking so it took a little time to find a place. At La Quinta website I entered my date and checked box for smoking. The results showed a king suite with picture of sofa for $75. I was amazed with price but thought for 1 night worth a try. I almost never book online and call to verify to be sure I get what I want. I called and said I wanted the king suite smoking room and also verified that it had a sofa has picture showed. The person said it was $90. I said seeing it on web for $75 and she gave it to be for that. All seemed good until check in. At front desk I said I had a reservation, gave my name and handed the lady my credit card. She then said I see you have a king suite smoking and I said yes. She then said they have a king suite but not smoking, just a regular room with king smoking. I explained I made the reservation for a king suite smoking and she had that in her computer so it should be honored. I was told they could not. After some back on forth on it I asked to speak to a manager. The manager was gone for day so I demanded reaching manager on phone which they finally did. Again I had to demand with the manager that they honor what I made the reservation for. They gave in and gave me the suite and wrote on receipt that smoking had been approved by manager. Beyond that issue we were very please with the room. It was clean, kind of plain and simple but still very nice. I also expected an uncomfortable bed but is was great to. The room well worth the money even at regular price of $89 per night. Also did not experience the noise or other issues some have complained about.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Wheeler, OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed here because my in-laws had collected points and essentially gave us a "free" stay. (We did pay a minor upgrade for a King room.) We opted for a smoking room for safety because of the area, though we usually do not do so. Note: That bit of info may be important for the rest of my review. The staff at check-in was friendly, however it was not the same at check-out.
We were surprised that this room was lacking two things every other room on our vacation had- a fridge and a microwave. We thought these were standard now, but apparently not. (Half a tuna sandwich was sacrificed after learning this.)
There was a bedside lamp without a light bulb, and it remained bulb-less throughout our three-day stay, despite having removed the shade so the housekeeper could see it.
The bathroom fan may not have even been hooked up. As a result, a shower fogged up the whole room. Also, the toilet did not flush properly and the bathroom door itself didn't shut all the way (perhaps the wood was swollen because of the fan issue?)
On the first night I stepped on a sewing needle walking to my suitcase!! I also went through numerous pairs of socks because the carpet was so filthy.
There was a slimy, black scum on the bottom of the shower that a bit of bleach would have eliminated. There was also a black pubic hair behind the bathroom door. (Blech!)
Breakfast was so lacking we never partook of anything but hot water for our Starbucks Via, as even the coffee was terrible.
We were there over a weekend and discovered that the crowd arriving at 2am was very disruptive. The windows are single-pane so one can hear every single noise. We were also near an elevator, which was very noticeable.
Bottom line- if this stay was not free for us we would have moved somewhere else. I cannot recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I LOVE La Quinta properties. I have a credit card with them and accumulate lots of points I use on many trips each year with my dog. I schedule my appointments in part, based on La Quinta locations. I stayed at this location twice in a 7 day period as it was half the price of the Bakersfield North location. Well, the staff were nice. The other guests were nice. The wild pitbull sleeping in the bushes that chased me was quite eventful. I say wild because each evening this dog would return and sleep in the same location. We stopped parking at this end of the lot near the medical center. Then the various people congregating between Ihop and the gas station...well, I felt uncomfortable. But what made me take the time to write this review, unfortunately, was the roach trap left behind the tv. It was about 4 inches by 7 inches, glue pad, with more than 5 various sized roaches. N-A-S-T-Y-!!! This really sucked because the room was presented well. I'm really disappointed but I guess you cant be perfect all the time. Easier to accept if La Quinta hadn't been perfect on so many previous reservations. This is likely more a management issue than a brand issue.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to La Quinta Inn Bakersfield South? Share your experiences!