“Big City comfort--and prices” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast & WiFi Package
Ranked #19 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
“Big City comfort--and prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2006

We selected this hotel for two main reasons: (1) they have provisions for long-term parking (suprisingly, most of the other hotels near the airport didn't), and they have security, and (2) I'm a Hilton HHonors Gold member, so I get some bonuses when I stay at a Hilton family property. The only other hotel I found in Bakersfield which allowed long-term parking was the Vagabond Inn, which I was a little nervous about.
The nicest aspect of the hotel was the room. Well, as Gold members, we were upgraded to a suite, so it was REALLY nice, but I'm making the assumption that the regular rooms were simply half the size of our suite, which would still make them very nice rooms indeed with plenty of work and luggage space. Our suite had one room with a King bed and one with two queens, so I'm attaching pictures of both. Each bed had five pillows--quite extravagant and over-the-top for the two of us. The hotel has four floors, but one floor appears to be underground (we were on the 4th floor and there were two rows of windows below us). I'm not sure what the story is behind the 1st floor rooms. Are they dark and windowless? Is that where they put Priceline customers?
Some negative aspects of the hotel: (1) the interior corridors aren't air-conditioned (at least they weren't in late May when we visited), which makes for a hot, sweaty trip carrying your luggage around. (2) the corridors aren't very logically designed, in that you either have to go outdoors quite a ways with your luggage or negotiate stairs with them, (3) exposed ducts in our bathroom, (4) the A/C in one of the two rooms in our suite wasn't working, and the amount of time it took someone to fix it was grossly understated (we were told 10 mins, and it took over 90 for the guy to come, although he fixed the problem quickly once he was there).
Some positive aspects: (1) the restaurant had fairly good food and reasonable prices, although the mark-up on the wines was way too high, (2) nice night-club with friendly staff. One could hear the music outside, though, and I wonder if rooms near the night-club were affected by the noise (ours certainly wasn't).
In summary, this hotel ended up fitting the bill for our particular needs. We needed long-term parking arrangements, and the suite which we received as Gold members was, well, sweet. This hotel probably also has the nicest rooms in Bakersfield also (though what do I know). For the average traveler, however, I think you can probably get a better value through Priceline, or with the Entertainment Card rate at the Holiday Inn Express, unless you're willing to pay a lot more for a nice room.

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Santa Clara, CA USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

Stopped for the night on our way back from Las Vegas. Every hotel in Bakersfield was booked except for the Doubletree, which had two rooms left. I was unable to get a AAA discount, so I paid the 155.00 for the room.

Wound up with the King deluxe room. It was supposed to be a non-smoking room, but apparently someone didn't pay attention. The room smelled like stale cigarettes and some other unpleasant odors. The maids had cleaned the room, however, that was not the issue. The Doubletree staff gave us another room. It was ok and what was expected. My husband wanted to use the gym. They had one in name only; the equipment was poorly maintained. The pool was very crowded that night. I don't know if that's normally the case.

Frankly, I don't think the Doubletree is worth it in Bakersfield. I mean it's Bakersfield! I normally stay at the Red Lion next door. Next time I'm passing through, it will be the Red Lion. At the Red Lion, a free breakfast is included and the place is two-thirds of the price.

• Stayed June 2006
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2006

The renovations are complete and there are no flaws in the 4* quality rooms. There was a comfortable king bed, nice bath and shower, refrigerator, and other high quality furnishings. The room wasn't far from the freeway but noise was very minimal. The TV looked nice but the remote control wasn't working. Every button on it would only change the channel down by one. I called in the evening to get a replacement remote control but nobody showed up for an hour. By that time I was ready to go to sleep so I told them to forget it. They offered me a complimentary breakfast buffet for my troubles. Apparently they had one building engineer working that night and he or she was very busy(somewhat surprising for a newly renovated hotel). Couldn't someone else have just brought me a new remote? Or I would have been willing to get one from the front desk if they had some extras there. I hope they can fix their service problems to make my next stay better since the room was so outstanding.

• Stayed March 2006
Atyrau, Kazakhstan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2006

It was nice to be greeted by all members of the hotel staff, be it a manager or a member of the cleaning staff.
The first night due to a delayed flight we reached just minuted before the restaurant was scheduled to close, the staff there welcommed us and made sure we got a nice meal (The pasta was simply divine!).
The room was very large and nice (we were informed that the renovations are done with and we did not see any evidence to the contrary).
Bed was very comfy. Our room was on the freeway side, but there was no noise problem. Room had a fridge which was really helpful to store salads or cold drinks in the bakerfield heat.
The housekeeping staff was very friendly and helpful.
Lots of eating places, and a movie theater are a short walk away.
The breakfast buffet was very nice, in addition to the usual they have an omlette bar (yumm) and had fresh belgian waffles with the best strawberry preserves I have ever tasted! The wait staff was very cordial and efficient.
Overall was a very pleasant stay, only less than positive thing- it is along walk outdoors from the front desk to the rooms and is slightly confusing too.
Oh! and the welcome cookie was simply divine, we saved one for later and it was just as delish cold :).

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2005

We were attending a wedding nearby, so we were only staying one night. What a great surprise! We would've stayed an additional night, if time permitted. As others have said, the rooms are great and newly remodeled. The body spray in the shower and the clock radio that allowed me to connect my iPod were just icing on the cake. Great decor and very clean rooms. The location is next to the freeway, but we didn't hear any traffic noise. There was also a soccer tournament in town that worried us, but no noise from the other rooms. Many restaurants nearby within walking distance.
Others in our party stayed at the Sheraton nearby and their rooms weren't nearly as wonderful. The Sheraton was showing it's age. They were wanting to switch hotels. Also the breakfast at the hotel's restaurant was good, but service was a little slow. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2005
San Luis Obispo, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2005

This hotel is clean and quiet, with large updated rooms (I did request a room facing away from the freeway). There's a nicely landcaped courtyard and large pool. On the downside, wired internet is $10/day in your room, but free wireless is available in the lobby.
We stayed on a busy holiday weekend and the staff was frenzied but pleasant.

• Stayed November 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2005

Had the opportunity to stay while driving to the Bay Area. Very impressed with rooms. Newly renovated, but not just your average renovation job. Hotel rooms are like an expensive "boutique hotel" that you would find in Beverly Hills. Rich mahogany furniture, vibrant colors and the bed was super, super comfortable. Had to really force myself and travel buddy to get out. Shower had body sprays. Body sprays!! The hotel that we paid $250 a night in S.F. didn't have that. I am definitely going to make this my roadside stop whenever I am driving No/So. Great way to break up the drive. On top of that, I got my Hilton points. Couldn't ask for much more!

• Stayed August 2005

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Bakersfield? Share your experiences!