“Hampton Inn Lacks Pizzazz” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #5 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
Dallas, Texas
“Hampton Inn Lacks Pizzazz”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I love Hampton Inns in general, that's why I chose this hotel sight unseen. And in general terms, you won't be completely disappointed if you stay here. But it isn't necessarily "the bomb" either. Here is my breakdown:

The Pros

1. Staff is very friendly and professional.
2. Room was very quiet and I slept well most of the time. I was very concerned that I was very close to the main lobby, but that turned out to be not a problem.
3. Room was clean and it offered the normal shampoo and coffee options.
4. The pricing was very reasonable.
5. It was situated right off the freeway and was convenient to get to.

The Cons

1. The parking was very bad; there weren't many spaces, the area seemed questionable, and I felt unsafe walking in alone at night. THe security guard in front of the hotel offered some comfort, but my car was out of sight and far so that piece felt exposed.
2. The hotel itself appears to be very small, very old, and very warn. The decor brought me back to the 80's, which usually makes me feel pretty good. This, however, just made me feel old.
3. The eating area was SMALL, cramped, and could not accommodate all the people that were there. The layout is so poor that even if you COULD find a seat, only 1 or 2 people at tops could even GET to the food.
4. The food was the same thing, but there was never, ever enough. Too often I had to wait for things that should not have gotten to the point of being gone in my opinion. By the third day I stuck to coffee and called it good (which, by the way, was in the easier to access area.)
5. The room itself was a good size but the layout and features were off. For example, the closet shelf was too low so the holder for the iron butted up to the shelf. Getting that sucker out was nearly impossible. The faucet in the shower was done incorrectly, so to get hot water you had to put it on cold water and vice versa.
6. The mattress seemed old and although it was "not painful", it was hard to sleep on after the awesome mattress I had stayed at during a different trip earlier in the week.
7. My room was butted up against some houses which seemed to have many visitors that loved to listen to loud rap music between 1-3am.

Overall, I would stay here again but I'd make plans to have breakfast elsewhere. I would suggest checking out the reviews of other hotels to compare.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel to avoid neighborhood noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hampton100, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Bakersfield - Central, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a honest review about our hotel. I really do appreciate hearing the feedback from our guests. It is reviews like yours, that not only lets me know where we excel in our guests expectations, but also let me know where we do need improvement. As you might have noticed during your stay with us, we are currently undergoing renovations thoughout the hotel. All of our decor, from the lobby area/ breakfast area, to all the guest rooms will be completely changed. It is a well over due renovation, and we are hoping to be completed by the beginning of next year with everything. I hope you will give us another chance and stay with us after our remodel so you can experience all the great upgrades our hotel will have to offer. We love having you here.

Thank you again.

181 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hampton Inn are one of our favourite accommodations whilst touring the USA due to the consistent level of service and quality. We always have a great night's sleep, great breakfast and are ready for the next day of fun. Bakersfield remains within this level of quality and the swimming pool was an added benefit given the hot day. Guys you really can't go wrong with this hotel unless you are expecting the earth - especially given that we paid $89 - value for money.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I am glad to hear that your stay with us was everything you have come to love and expect from the Hampton Brand. That is one thing I myself love about this brand and why I love working here. Thank you for taking the time to write such an excellent review. I hope next time you are visiting the US you will drive through and stay with us again.

Thank you again.
Winchester, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The two most important things to me when staying at a hotel are the cleanliness of the room, bath, bedding etc. and how quiet the hotel and room are. Both were great on the Sunday night I spent there. Breakfast was also good as was the fitness room and pool.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

I am very pleased to read that we met you requirements when staying at a hotel. I agree with you on that quietness and cleanliness are 2 of the most important things to look for when choosing a hotel to stay at. Thank you, and I hope you come stay with us again soon.

Lodi, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

This stay is like all my others at Hampton Inn - relaxing, enjoyable, calm. This hotel is always so CLEAN, the bed wonderful, and consistent. The breakfast was delicious and well balanced. Location was convenient to the highway, and the room was still quiet. There was security walking the parking lot when we got there, which made me feel very safe.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

I am glad that you found everything at our hotel so enjoyable and great. Guests like you make our job easy and happy to be here. Please come back and stay with us again.

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

The hotel is undergoing renovations but I think they still have a long way to go. Soundproofing the rooms would be a great start. The location of our room was probably the biggest problem. We were on the ground floor next to the front desk and it is a loud location - from above, outside the hotel and in the lobby.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for taking the time to write about your comments and concerns about our hotel. Our renovation started off a little slow because it was such a busy time for travel in Bakersfield. Now that things have slowed down a little, our renovation is in full force and we have done a lot since your last visit. I do apologize for all the noise disturbances during your stay. I hope you will try our hotel again in the future, so we can show you how great our Hampton Inn is.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

After 2 years we have been back to this hotel and it is still good.
Location is perfect just of the highway though no noise heard.

The Arco gasstation across the hotel is cheap and within 15 minutes you'll find a shopping mall (Valley) and a trip of restaurants (15 min the other way).

Rooms are clean and spacious. Only downside, our room didn't have a safe. This is something I hope they will change.

Breakfast is still great. Make our waffles ourself and fresh fruit.

Will go here again when traveling.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for continually choosing our Hampton location as your place to stay when visiting the area. I love to know that people come back numerous times because our service, amenities, and location are so great. I appreciate all the feedback. Unfortunately we will not be getting safes placed in each guest room, we do however have safe deposit boxes located at the front desk for guests convience if you were not aware. We love having you here and can't wait to see you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I love this hotel! I brought some wrestlers to Bakersfield for a wrestling camp and we spent 3 nights here. The staff at the hotel gave us a great price and treated us with nothing but respect the whole time we were there. Our rooms were awesome! Each room had a flat screen tv with some HD channels, a small refrigerator, and a microwave. They were very clean and comfortable. They are in the process of remodeling, but we never were disturbed by anything. There are plenty of restaurants and things to do close by and the full breakfast included every morning is awesome. They even have a breakfast bag to go! I almost didn't share this review so that I could keep it all to myself, but they deserve it. I have stayed in several places in Bakersfield in the last 15 years and this one is my favorite. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013
Hampton100, Manager at Hampton Inn Bakersfield - Central, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thank you for all your positive feedback. I am so glad to hear you and your wrestlers enjoyed you stay with us. It is guests like you that make our jobs so enjoyable everyday here. We hope you see you again in the future.

Director of Guest Services

Been to Hampton Inn Bakersfield - Central? Share your experiences!