“Typical Hampton Inn (this is a good thing).” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #5 of 59 Hotels in Bakersfield
El Segundo, California
“Typical Hampton Inn (this is a good thing).”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Hampton Inn is my hotel of choice. They are generally reasonably priced and very consistant in their quality.

My stay at the Hanpton Inn Bakersfield-Central was just as I expected. No real problems to speak of.

My room was typical of all the other Hampton Inns I've stayed at. Large, clean room with a mini fridge, coffee maker and microwave. Comfy bed.

The shower was a bit funky in that I found it a bit challenging to get the water temperature just right. However, once I got it set it was fine.

The fitness center was small with only three machines to use. A stationary bike, an eliptical machine and a stair climber. I couldn't figure out how to use the stair climber, me and the other person using the fitness center had a hard time with the stair climber. There didn't seem to be any A/C in the fitness room and it got more than a little warm while working out. No treadmill.

The wi-fi was a bit spotty my first night (Jan.13). It was working just fine when I arrived but at some point it cut out. I called the front desk, they said they'd look into it, but it never worked the rest of the night. The wi-fi was just fine the next two days.

The free breakfast was fine. Again, typical of all Hampton Inns. I only had the oatmeal, coffee and juice so I can't say how the other offerings were, but the oatmeal was fine.

My biggest complaint would have to be the lack of help behind the lobby desk. Not once during my stay was there ever anyone sitting at the desk. I ALWAYS had to speak up and say "hello?" before someone appeared from another room beside the lobby to assist me.
It's annoying from a service and security stand point.

The hotel is right off Hwy 99 so there was a bit of road noise at night, but nothing too bad.

There is a Chevron station right next to the hotel and several food choices near by.

All in all I'd recommend this Hampton Inn, and if I'm ever in the Bakersfield area again I would definately stay there.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Hampton100, General Manager at Hampton Inn Bakersfield - Central, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
I appreciate all your feedback and review on our property Hampton Inn Bakersfield-Central. I'm glad you did enjoy your stay here with us. Customer service is of the utmost importance to us and you satisfaction from check in to check out. We are going to be doing some major remodeling to our fitness center, which we will have all that you could want for your work out needs. From treadmill to free weights as well. Hope you come back and see us and experience our changes we have coming in this year. I also appologize for any service that was not available at our desk for you. It is important to me feedback from our guests ao I may address them with my staff to ensure we are taking care of all our guest needs. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Sandie Cartwright-General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hampton Inn Bakersfield central for one night and found it to be everything we expected. It is convenient to the highway for easy arrival and departure as well as close to downtown if you have a car. Everything from the fresh blooming flowers at the doorway, a friendly greeting and efficient check in, to a clean and comfortable room were as we expected and we were totally satisfied.

Room Tip: We were able to book on the Internet several days in advance and when we checked in it turned out th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so very much for your gracious compliments on our Property. We are all very pleased that you enjoyed your stay here with us at the Hampton Inn Bakersfield-Central. We hope to see you in the near future again. We strive on making you feel comfortable, and have a stay away from home that feels like home.
Victorville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

While working in the Bakersfield area I stayed at this Hampton Inn every week from August 2011 to December 2011. The staff is very friendly and they went over the top to make sure my stays were comfortable. The hotel is kept unbelievably clean!!! The hot breakfast is more than adequate with a huge selection of items. The beds and pillows are very comfortable, I never had a bad nights sleep. Free internet is fast and reliable. The only bad is that the fitness room has a lot to be desired. I will happily stay here again when I am in the area! This is a great hotel!!!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
San Jose, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

This is your typical "road trip" stop type of hotel. If that's what you want. You're good. Typical Hampton. Everything seemed cleaned. Decent night sleep. Nothing really bad. Staff was friendly enough. Breakfast was stocked. Room was clean.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor I suppose. It's not a high traffic area at night.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Pismo Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

First the Good
The Hotel is clean and recently renovated
The location is central to town and easy access to freeway
The staff was good
The price was good

The Less Good
The hotel is old, low popcorn ceilings, room air conditioning is window type units without thermostat, the bathrooms are older style unlike other Hamptons.
The breakfast is provided as in all Hamptons - this Hampton has a small breakfast area that was completely overrun with small kids. When ever the staff put out 3 muffins (pitifull and inadequate) the kids were like hungry wolfs and in an instant nothing was left. I waited around for several rounds and gave up on breakfast.

Summary - This hotel is Average or worse for a Hampton

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Hampton100, General Manager at Hampton Inn Bakersfield - Central, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you so very much for you feed back on our Hampton Inn Bakersfield-Central. Yes, we have recently done some renovations, and are continuing to make more changes. I appologize for some aspects that are a bit older and need up-dating. We are aware of these and are making changes to be a better Hotel for you and all our guests. We are glad you stayed with us, and hope to see your continued patronage here with us. We love having you here.
Thank You and Happy Holidays!!
N. Calif
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Great comfortable bed, large tv with great channels and reception. Quiet. Clean. Breakfast selections much better than average. Coffee/tea available in the lobby, I believe at all hours. Pleasant service. No problems to report!! Highly recommended. I stayed 2 nights and it was just great.

Room Tip: Quietest rooms are on the south side, adjacent to the back of Travelodge, so there are no cars ther...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Thank You so much for you response about our Hampton Inn Bakersfield-Central We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you nect time you return to the Bakersfield Area.
Cathey's Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stay at Hampton Inns a lot and this one is typical. Interior and furnishings looked very new and I was pleased with most aspects of my stay. Two things stood out that didn't allow me to give 5 circles instead of 4. The front desk check-in lady was not very informative or cordial. She didn't even tell us where the elevator was or where our rooms were located. Seems she was too busy talking on the phone while we had to wait. Even though I made the reservation online, she seemed confused that it was made with an AARP discount, and wasn't sure how to handle that without several other questions unnecessarily being asked. Also the breakfast was very nice, typical Hampton Inn fare, but the layout was very poor. The breakfast area was on the side of the lobby instead of an individual room like most Hamptons. There weren't enough tables because of the small area and several of the tables are right next to the lobby doors. Good breakfast, well stocked, but very poor location. Other than those 2 minor things, I'd stay here again and hopefully wouldn't get "Miss Lack of Personality" when I check in.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business