“Average at Best” 3 of 5 stars

Pismo Beach, California
“Average at Best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

First the Good
The Hotel is clean and recently renovated
The location is central to town and easy access to freeway
The staff was good
The price was good

The Less Good
The hotel is old, low popcorn ceilings, room air conditioning is window type units without thermostat, the bathrooms are older style unlike other Hamptons.
The breakfast is provided as in all Hamptons - this Hampton has a small breakfast area that was completely overrun with small kids. When ever the staff put out 3 muffins (pitifull and inadequate) the kids were like hungry wolfs and in an instant nothing was left. I waited around for several rounds and gave up on breakfast.

Summary - This hotel is Average or worse for a Hampton

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Hampton100, General Manager at Hampton Inn Bakersfield - Central, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
Thank you so very much for you feed back on our Hampton Inn Bakersfield-Central. Yes, we have recently done some renovations, and are continuing to make more changes. I appologize for some aspects that are a bit older and need up-dating. We are aware of these and are making changes to be a better Hotel for you and all our guests. We are glad you stayed with us, and hope to see your continued patronage here with us. We love having you here.
Thank You and Happy Holidays!!

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
N. Calif
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Great comfortable bed, large tv with great channels and reception. Quiet. Clean. Breakfast selections much better than average. Coffee/tea available in the lobby, I believe at all hours. Pleasant service. No problems to report!! Highly recommended. I stayed 2 nights and it was just great.

Room Tip: Quietest rooms are on the south side, adjacent to the back of Travelodge, so there are no cars ther...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Thank You so much for you response about our Hampton Inn Bakersfield-Central We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you nect time you return to the Bakersfield Area.
Cathey's Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

I stay at Hampton Inns a lot and this one is typical. Interior and furnishings looked very new and I was pleased with most aspects of my stay. Two things stood out that didn't allow me to give 5 circles instead of 4. The front desk check-in lady was not very informative or cordial. She didn't even tell us where the elevator was or where our rooms were located. Seems she was too busy talking on the phone while we had to wait. Even though I made the reservation online, she seemed confused that it was made with an AARP discount, and wasn't sure how to handle that without several other questions unnecessarily being asked. Also the breakfast was very nice, typical Hampton Inn fare, but the layout was very poor. The breakfast area was on the side of the lobby instead of an individual room like most Hamptons. There weren't enough tables because of the small area and several of the tables are right next to the lobby doors. Good breakfast, well stocked, but very poor location. Other than those 2 minor things, I'd stay here again and hopefully wouldn't get "Miss Lack of Personality" when I check in.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Rancho Cucamonga, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Hampton Inn and were pleaseantly suprised. The room was nice, clean and comfortable. The breakfast bar was well stocked, clean and the staff was friendly! i would highly recommend it!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Hampton100, General Manager at Hampton Inn Bakersfield - Central, responded to this review, October 12, 2011
We appreciate and value your business with us at Hampton Inn Bakersfield-Central. Thank you so much from our entire staff of your wonderful comments. We are happy you and your wife enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit with us.
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I am a resident of Bakersfield. I have friends and family that from time to time come visit from out of town. While here, I always book them rooms at this same Hampton Inn. The quality of customer service that I experience starting from when I book the rooms all the way until I check them out is always consistent with a smile. The beds are extremely comfortable, so comfortable that I even stay the night sometimes and I live here. The breakfast is delicious with so many options to choose from, and served with a smile. Just recently they added new carpet and 32 in flat panel television which just made the hotel even better. The Wireless works great. The pool is cozy and relaxing. The price paid is WELL worth it. The hotel is centrally located and is only minutes from anything. Across the street there is Camelot Park- Family fun center with Go Carts, bumper boats, miniature golf, batting cages, a full arcade and snack bar, which is great for when I have family with kids in town, they just walk across the street. The hotel has a very knowledgeable staff that genuinely cares about their customers needs and expectations. For example, a friend of mine was staying in town and she was not familiar with Bakersfield. She asked the front desk clerk Jennifer for a recommendation for a nice scenic spot. She gave her directions to get to Hart Park, and on those directions she included the hotels telephone number in case she got lost. She had a great time and loved the views out there. Luckily the number was listed because what do you know, she did get lost on her way back. She called the hotel in a panic and was given the assurance by Billy that she will be ok and was given turn by turn directions while still on the phone back to the hotel. Now that is going above and beyond. Way To Go. The only downfall I have come across has been that their pool is not heated, which is ok in the summer because it gets hot here. 100% Satisfied

Room Tip: On a couple of occasions if needed they do have ajoining rooms. The ones I have gotten had a king in...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Hampton100, Director of Sales at Hampton Inn Bakersfield - Central, responded to this review, October 6, 2011
Thank you so much for your positive feedback. I am glad that your family enjoys their visits to the Hampton Inn Bakersfield-Central. We currently are still working on some changes in the hotel. Hopefully in the near future you will be able to see all the new rennovations to come. Thank You once again for feedback.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

This is one of the best hotels I've sayed in. A lot of comfort and coziness for the inexpensive rates!

STAFF
First off, the staff. They were completely wonderful and pleasant.
Billy at the front desk was more than helpful. He pointed me in the direction of some beautiful, fun, and exciting places. Without even asking, he printed maps and had had written extra directions and notes for me and surprised me with them almost daily! This guy knows how to go above and beyond and whatever he is making - I assure you, it's not enough!
Even when killing time or hanging out in the lobby before going on an adventure, the staff seemed interested in how your stay is going and what you have to say, even if it's just something as plain as the weather...definitely a pleasant reminder that there are still some good people out in the world.

HOTEL
The overall hotel - clean, clean, clean.
Big and clean bathroom with a curved/bowed out shower rod so you aren't cramped in (also equiped with plenty of towels.
Nice 32 inch flat panel, with great reception and channel selection.
COMFORTABLE BED AND PILLOWS!
Ad-free wi-fi access.
An alarm clock with battery backup and some dresser space in case you are staying for more than a day.
A phone in the room which I believe also has voice-mail.
A good sized mini-fridge (with some freezer space) as well as a microwave.
Nice free breakfast in the mornings with an option of a breakfast bag for the road if you're in a hurry...coffee is always full and ready to pour as well.
Pool looked really nice, though I didn't take advantage of it.
I didn't check out the fitness room, but the fact the the hotel even has one at it's low rates is amazing.
Everything in the place looks new and up-to-date.
They have a nice lobby with a couple of couches to sit on as well as some tables in the breakfast area to sit down and stuff your face.
They also have a "work/business station" that has a computer and printer to use.
They have security that keeps homeless people from pestering the guests.
Also a nice overhang at the front door in case it's raining when you check in.

LOCATION
Plenty of resturaunts and gas stations right across the road and honestly, not far from anything! About a 10 minute drive (including traffic) to stores and other resturaunts.
It's a very quiet hotel for being on such a busy/main street.
Entrance and exiting was very easy and convenient as well and the entrance to the freeway is literally about 1 minute away.

I'm sure there is tons more I'm forgetting to mention, but hey - you have to stop reading this and take your trip at some point.

Honestly, besides being in Cali with the nice weather and no work, I really was sad to check out. The staff are a bunch of friendly and great people that definitely are watching out for you and doing everything they can to make your stay the best possible while also trying to save you some cash!

If you're in Bakersfield, this is definitely the hotel you want to say at!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We value your positive feedback and hope you come vist again.
San Luis Obispo, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I booked this hotel over others because of the free wifi and breakfast. Room was fine, nothing special but no issues. Wifi worked, and the breakfast was adequate. There's a Circle K convenience store across the street, a Chinese restaurant out front and a few fast food places nearby. Otherwise you'll have to drive to go eat.

Don't know if it's typical for Hampton Inns, but there's not a lot of public space for guests. The breakfast area gets very crowded and can't handle the pre-8 am rush of people, running out of tables. The workout room has just three exercise machines, an elliptical machine, a stair stepper and a stationary bike. Surprisingly, there's no treadmill. The pool is small and faces the parking lot in front of the freeway, not very attractive. Overall, the hotel is fine if you just need a room for a night, but would recommend staying somewhere with more amenities if your traveling for pleasure.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Hampton100, General Manager at Hampton Inn Bakersfield - Central, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
We appreciate your review of our property. We have added many new upgrades and just completed some major renovations. We hope during your next visit to Bakersfield, you would come stay with us and take a look at our "New Look".

Been to Hampton Inn Bakersfield - Central? Share your experiences!