“Was this really a Marriott?” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay for Breakfast!
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
Boston, Massachusetts
“Was this really a Marriott?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

There aren't a lot of safe, decent places to stay in Bakersfield; however, this Marriott does not deserve a solid review simply because there are no other acceptable places in the area, as it does not live up to the Marriott reputation.

The entire place seems old and falling apart (much like the rest of Bakersfield). I was expecting at least the Marriott to be better than the surrounding area. The elevators are slow and the buttons don't always light up, so you're not sure if you're even going to the right floor. You have to put your room key into the elevator before hitting the floor, but that didn't always work before the elevator started moving, so you often miss your floor. The walls are paper thin. I should have taken pictures of the carpet in our room, as it had obvious mold stains. The carpet was deteriorating and dark, and was molding in many spots. The bed was a rock and, for someone who rarely complains about the bed (I can pretty much sleep anywhere), I had a terrible time falling asleep here. The internet took forever, and there was no fridge or microwave in the room. When I called the front desk to ask if there was a microwave in the lobby or restaurant area that a guest could use to heat something up, she rudely told me there were no microwaves in the building for guest use. Umm...it's a Marriott and it's 2014. I've stayed at sleazy motels where there is a microwave set up for guest use, if there is not one provided in the hotel room. If there is no microwave at all, at least let me heat it up in the restaurant microwave! So there went my dinner. Later in our stay, the bartender on Sunday night was completely rude and ignored us for 14 minutes before even acknowledging we were seated in front of him. He slowly made his way around the bar, didn't even glance at us as we sat down, and then headed out of the bar to check on customers in the restaurant area. I understand he was probably stressed, but he shouldn't have taken that out on his customers. Everyone at the bar was grumbling. The only laundry facility for a 9-story building was in a room straight from a Law & Order episode, with only two washers. Overall, I expected WAY more from a Marriott.

The only pro would be its location, as it is adjacent to the Convention Center. Stay somewhere outside of Bakersfield and drive to the Convention Center. You're paying for parking at the Center regardless, and you'll have a much better experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Chino Hills, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is my second stay at this property in 6 months and this time I was upgraded to a suite. The person who checked me in, Sara, was the only positive experience I had while staying at the property. When I walked into the suite, I felt like I walked back in time. All the furniture, except the TV's, were from the 60's and 70's. No desk for a business traveler, only a round dining room table with 4 chairs. The chairs were definitely dated and very uncomfortable. The finish on the dining room table was peeling, yuck!

As a Platinum Elite member, I has access to the Concierge Lounge. They served Sushi and Fried Won Tons. I cannot comment on the Sushi, since I am allergic to seafood. In regards to the Fried Won Ton, they were cold, hard and tasteless. They had carrots and celery on a separate plate and it looked like they were just thrown onto the plate, no presentation. In my opinion, it looked like the bare minimum was provided in the Lounge.

In addition, I had an issue with one of the TV's in the room. Just before going to bed, I turned on the TV in the bedroom (I had the one in the living room on to watch the Monday night football game on ESPN). The TV in the bedroom was directly behind the TV in the living room, only separated by a wall. The TV in the bedroom didn't get ESPN and the picture quality on other stations was poor. I called around 8:45 PM and requested service. The operator said he would be right up. 30 minutes later, no one had showed up and I called the operator again. Again, she said he would be right up and then I asked if she could check with him. She did and she stated that he was with a guest and would come up after he finished with the guest. I thanked her for checking with him and then told her that if he wasn't at my room by 9:30 PM, not to bother that I would be going to bed because I had an early appointment in the morning.

At 9:30 PM, I put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on my door. At 9:35 PM, there was a knock on my door. I was in bed and did not answer the door. A minute later, again there was a knock on the door. Another minute passed and another knock on the door. I was now very upset that whoever was at my door ignored the DO NOT DISTURB sign. I opened the door and it was the technician. He is holding television repair parts in his hands and I asked him very nicely, "Can you read?" There is a DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door, what does that mean to you? I told him that I was not interested in getting the TV fixed now and closed the door.

This is a really big deal to me because the technician did not respect my request for privacy. Now this could have been handled differently by the technician or by training by the hotel. When the technician arrived at the door and saw the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door, he should have called the operator who dispatched him. The operator would have told him that I specifically asked not to be disturbed after 9:30 or asked if she call my room. The operator could have told me the technician is outside my door and did I still require service? I might have said yes if it was handled that way. Unfortunately, the technician kept knocking at my door until I had to get out of bed and tell him no.

Since I was up, I decided to write a not too nice email to Marriott corporate. They responded with an apology and said a manager would contact me in the morning. In the morning, a front desk clerk called me with an apology, not a manager. That did not go over very well with me. A manager, the General Manager of the property, did contact me via email the following afternoon.

The General Manager did state that they will be going through a renovation next year. If a traveler wants to stay here, you may want to wait until the renovation is complete. This property should retire worn out furniture NOW, instead of waiting until next year.

As you can see, not a very good experience. I will be returning to Bakersfield later this month. I can assure you that I will be staying at a different hotel. Stay tuned for that review.

Room Tip: In my opinion, stay at a different hotel
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This complex is 9 stories high with a restaurant downstairs. Upon first arrival you entrance is the back door, parking and check-in is located on the other side which is just a couple steps away. Our reservation was screwed up and the front desk girl wasn't able to help us in a rude condensing way. We did have a room for one night as oppose to what our confirmation e-mail says for 2 nights. Hotel rooms were clean, but furniture and bed was hard and uncomfortable to sit or sleep. Bathroom is typical of these hotels, bathtub is if are not careful you can slip in it while taking a shower. Still see grime in the shower which makes me take a hot shower even though it hot outside. Room Service was probably the best thing about this hotel.

Room Tip: No pets allowed. Located next to convention, courthouse, downtown.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

This hotel was so convenient to my function next door.
Nice pool, great restaurant, try the pizza...
Would definitely look forward to staying here again next year
There was an issue at hotel, some guest got loud and dumb, and the hotel staff quickly and tactfully removed them from the area...
Overall really nice, hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Marriott_BFL, General Manager at Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you very much for your visit and for your wonderful comments. We strive to exceed our guests’ expectations so I am happy to learn our mission was accomplished. we strive for our guests to have a comfortable and peaceful nights rest and for this reason we do have a noise policy in place for the hotel. You can rest assured that I will personally follow up with our security team to ensure they are following through with our procedures. I will be sure to share your nice comments with our team. we look forward to your next visit to Bakersfield.
Clovis, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have been staying at this Marriott for years and found the service to be very friendly, the rooms are clean, and the the food is excellent. I love having a quality full service restaurant in the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the property are quieter.
Highland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I love this hotel, every time I'm in town I stay here. The rooms are always clean, nice tile in the entry way and nice big flat screen tv, Staff is always polite and professional. Restaurant is good Bar is great and it's not that far from the freeway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Sunset, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Location was very convenient to the downtown area. Not far from shopping and nearby dinning.

Right next to convention center. Ample free parking.

King room fairly good size. Rooms clean, plenty of towels.

Small but nice pool area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center? Share your experiences!