“Comfortable and Friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
New York City, New York
“Comfortable and Friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I've stayed at the Bakersfield Marriott four or five times and my experiences have all been great. The hotel is conveniently located and the staff is friendly. It's also very clean. When I return to Bakersfield, I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Saint Augustine, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This hotel has a very nice lobby and free parking. That's about where the positives end. The WiFi here is actually worse than 1990s era dial up. I went to the front desk to ask about it and I got the same look that people give you when they don't speak English. It is UNACCEPTABLE for any hotel of this stature not to have good WiFi.

The walls and windows also must be made of paper. It is the noisiest hotel that I have ever stayed at. Sirens blaring all night, loud people in the hallways. You can actually hear chatter from the bar area from a 3rd floor room.

This is one of the worst hotel experiences that I have ever had and I would never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Chico, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed one night and were towing a trailer so I chose this establishment because it had a restaurant on site. It was a ways off of the freeway but well worth it. All of the staff we encountered were happy and helpful. There was a great hotel bar and we chose to eat there. The food was very good. We will return if we ever have to stay in Bakersfield again. The only hiccup was that our breakfast order that I hung on the door was lost. Once I phoned the front desk they were very apologetic and our food arrived in a short while. I think that it was a great value and even though it is an older building Marriott is doing a good job keeping it up to date.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ridgecrest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We hadn't stayed at this hotel since it was reopened as a Marriott. It was a Holiday Inn before. It was great. We stayed on the ninth floor for three days. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. The room was very nice. The room was clean and the beds were great. The exercise room is bright and modern.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

If this same hotel were located in a big city, you'd pay a lot more. For a reasonable rate, I received a bright and pleasantly appointed room, which was clean and comfortable, with a plush bed. The lobby has a lovely fireplace and is very appealing overall, as are the other public spaces, including the restaurant. I enjoyed lunch in the restaurant, The Nines, which is casual but smart enough for a business meeting. This hotel is within walking distance (if you don't have heavy luggage) of an Amtrak station, a bonus if you're arriving or departing by train. It's nice to be able to stay in an upscale hotel without breaking the bank, so take advantage of it if you're in Bakersfield.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed at the Bakersfield Marriott Convention Center location for a business event. When you walk in the lobby looks very chic with comfortable chairs and lounge areas with a bar area which is nice for after event conversations. The service at the front desk and room service were professional and nice. The rooms are what needs the renovation. The bed is very comfortable. The set up is nice. As a business traveler a sink that drains and a shower/tub that drains is critical. Both were clogged. I made do, by turning on the water and turning it off to let it drain slowly. Disgusting. There is also a foul sewage smell in the room and through the halls. I always bring air freshener for this reason. There was no noise issue which helped, but the light from under the door is so bright, and you would think that would be test #1. Also, the AC is so loud. You are supposed to relax in your room. I turned it off regardless of needing the cool air as the AC was ridiculously loud. Fix it. I would not recommend this Marriott if you are in Bakersfield which I never am.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, bring air freshener, sanitizer wipes, and liquid plumber.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Page Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as an intermediate destination point when on a holiday road trip. Advance reservation was made after seeking Trip Advisor reviews. Immediately after arriving, we ate at the hotel restaurant which had excellent food and excellent service. The room was nice - nothing to complain about. Until about 2am when the a/c stopped working. The fan was blowing but the air was warm. We opened a window (about 2 inches is all that it can open) and tolerated the constant every 20 minute train screeching which wouldn't have been heard with the window closed. Sleep was fitful - room temp rose to 77 degrees.

At 6:45am, after a lousy night of off and on sleeping, I contacted the front desk to report the problem. They sent maintenance who arrived 30 minutes later - no problem. This was a Sunday and he confirmed the compressor wasn't working. Came back 15 minutes later with a part. Installed it, air started to come out cool again, problem solved. There was no way we would be getting ready for a full day of driving with a hot room. Minutes later, the front desk called to ask if things were resolved. Nice to have. Only.....1/2 hour later, the a/c stopped working yet again. To say this was frustrating is an understatement. AT this point, the room was uncomfortable and we rushed the showering so as not to stay even more uncomfortable. 81 degrees was the last temp as we left.

At the front desk, I asked for a manager to report our experience. The manager immediately asked "what can I do for you?". I told her under the circumstances, the stay wasn't good, no sleep, not relaxing, and the problem has been proven. Clear the bill and I'll be satisfied. No - she would offer a 20% discount. This after advising we should have simply SWITCHED ROOMS. I then asked her if she expected all guests to participate in maintenance issues at 2am in this hotel. The room wasn't a furnace, was doable enough NOT to bother with packing bags, collecting personal things (laptop, business paperwork etc etc etc), and going through the interruption hassle only to try to seek rest yet again. Her response?

"You used the room".

I give the benefit of doubt to any lodging establishment with solid reasoning. We are in the lodging business. A customer is first priority. We had bad sleep, a hot room, attempted repair and then had to get ready in complete discomfort. All of this was documented. When asking for her business card, she swiftly walked around the counter and gave it to me. "Is there anything else you need?" Meanwhile, other hotel guest were watching this. I wonder if they had hoped I'd lose my temper?

This was attitude, nothing warranted this ridiculous behavior. As a customer, we have credit card protection. It's called DISPUTING THE CHARGE. I advised she was giving me no choice but to dispute the bill. "I'll alert accounting you're disputing the charge". No other words. The cost of the room was small enough. We would have been happy enough if the a/c worked after maintenance attended to it. But it didn't.

We found out just who the people in charge really are. Our credit card charge was disputed and we won. Clearly obvious as to why. It takes a fool not to respond to a lousy lodging experience followed by a manager furthering it with stinging unwarranted attitude. We'll be avoiding this place in the future if only because of the front desk management that takes ownership into her own hands instead of what you'd hope Marriott wouldn't promote. We'll also be ensuring our own guests seek to avoid this establishment as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Marriott_BFL, General Manager at Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the issues you experienced.
We appreciate your feedback as it is crucial in our efforts to improve and make your stay more enjoyable.
I sincerely apologize for the trouble this may have caused you and we thank you for taking the time to assist us in personalizing not only your experience but every guest to come
as I'm making sure that situations like this do not repeat themselves.

Please feel free contact me directly at carlos.navarro@bakersfieldmarriott.com if you would like to discuss any details of your stay. Again I truly apologize for the inconveniences encountered and I thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Been to Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center? Share your experiences!