We stayed at this hotel as an intermediate destination point when on a holiday road trip. Advance reservation was made after seeking Trip Advisor reviews. Immediately after arriving, we ate at the hotel restaurant which had excellent food and excellent service. The room was nice - nothing to complain about. Until about 2am when the a/c stopped working. The fan was blowing but the air was warm. We opened a window (about 2 inches is all that it can open) and tolerated the constant every 20 minute train screeching which wouldn't have been heard with the window closed. Sleep was fitful - room temp rose to 77 degrees.
At 6:45am, after a lousy night of off and on sleeping, I contacted the front desk to report the problem. They sent maintenance who arrived 30 minutes later - no problem. This was a Sunday and he confirmed the compressor wasn't working. Came back 15 minutes later with a part. Installed it, air started to come out cool again, problem solved. There was no way we would be getting ready for a full day of driving with a hot room. Minutes later, the front desk called to ask if things were resolved. Nice to have. Only.....1/2 hour later, the a/c stopped working yet again. To say this was frustrating is an understatement. AT this point, the room was uncomfortable and we rushed the showering so as not to stay even more uncomfortable. 81 degrees was the last temp as we left.
At the front desk, I asked for a manager to report our experience. The manager immediately asked "what can I do for you?". I told her under the circumstances, the stay wasn't good, no sleep, not relaxing, and the problem has been proven. Clear the bill and I'll be satisfied. No - she would offer a 20% discount. This after advising we should have simply SWITCHED ROOMS. I then asked her if she expected all guests to participate in maintenance issues at 2am in this hotel. The room wasn't a furnace, was doable enough NOT to bother with packing bags, collecting personal things (laptop, business paperwork etc etc etc), and going through the interruption hassle only to try to seek rest yet again. Her response?
"You used the room".
I give the benefit of doubt to any lodging establishment with solid reasoning. We are in the lodging business. A customer is first priority. We had bad sleep, a hot room, attempted repair and then had to get ready in complete discomfort. All of this was documented. When asking for her business card, she swiftly walked around the counter and gave it to me. "Is there anything else you need?" Meanwhile, other hotel guest were watching this. I wonder if they had hoped I'd lose my temper?
This was attitude, nothing warranted this ridiculous behavior. As a customer, we have credit card protection. It's called DISPUTING THE CHARGE. I advised she was giving me no choice but to dispute the bill. "I'll alert accounting you're disputing the charge". No other words. The cost of the room was small enough. We would have been happy enough if the a/c worked after maintenance attended to it. But it didn't.
We found out just who the people in charge really are. Our credit card charge was disputed and we won. Clearly obvious as to why. It takes a fool not to respond to a lousy lodging experience followed by a manager furthering it with stinging unwarranted attitude. We'll be avoiding this place in the future if only because of the front desk management that takes ownership into her own hands instead of what you'd hope Marriott wouldn't promote. We'll also be ensuring our own guests seek to avoid this establishment as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center is located in the heart of beautiful downtown Bakersfield. Unique amongst hotels in Bakersfield, we are a full-service Bakersfield convention center hotel that is connected to the Rabobank Arena, Theatre & Convention Center complex. Featuring eight meeting rooms and 9,136 sq ft of total meeting space, our Bakersfield, CA hotel is ideal for meetings, training, and conferences. Enjoy our hotel's high-tech guest rooms and suites featuring 32" HD TVs, high-speed wireless internet access, luxurious bedding package and luxurious amenities. Concierge level rooms and suites offer an added level of sophistication unrivaled by other Bakersfield hotels. After work, guests can enjoy the endless options for shopping, dining, or simply enjoy an evening at our hotel's restaurant - The Nines, featuring fresh, American cuisine in a contemporary, upscale setting. Stay in the heart of it all at the luxuriously appointed Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Marriott, Expedia, Tingo, Hotels.com, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your Bakersfield Marriott at the Convention Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bakersfield Marriott At The Hotel Bakersfield
- Bakersfield Marriott At Hotel
- Holiday Inn Bakersfield
- Bakersfield Holiday Inn