“Great value.” 4 of 5 stars

1030 Wible Road, Bakersfield, CA 93304 (Formerly Travelodge Plaza Inn)   |
Ranked #45 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
“Great value.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

For the price this place is very very nice. The owner is a nice guy and takes pride in his place. Pool and spa were clean. Convienent location. Nice beds. I came for work and will definitely stay here again. Staff were all very nice and very professional. Did I mention great value? Not sure what else to say... Yes sir! You betcha!

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at the California Best Inn on several occasions during the past 18 months. I have always found my room to be clean and comfortable. My refrigerator and microwave have always been clean and in working order. I usually request a room closer to the front office somewhere around 103 to 108. I have never seen any nefarious activity during my stays.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

This place seriously needs to get closed down!! Its drug dealers prostitution going on when you complain he threatens to kick you out without refund the rooms are GROSS he gave dirty towels out the room smelled. bed bugs I would rather sleep outside than this place save your money and go elsewhere

Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I travel for a living and I am the owner so cover all my own cost. I look for cleanliness, cost, service. This is the best deal with the nicest people in all of Bakersfield.
They will accommodate and try to please.

Room Tip: Just ask for your preferences and they will accommodate you!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Booked one night's stay via Expedia in August 2011 on the way from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

Hotel proprietor was viciously rude. His appearance and demeanor was more reminiscent of a bullying street hobo hustling money than a professional manager. For $50 and two stars I wasn't expecting the Wynn Las Vegas, but I was expecting common manners and to not be greeted and treated with contempt. My young wife and I had to leave without checking in because our human dignity didn't allow us to put up with the proprietor's yelling and screaming. Thankfully Expedia issued a $50 voucher.

Among dozens of Expedia trips I've never seen anything like this. There's no shortage of affordable two-stars in Bakersfield. Do not take your chances with this one.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sacramento
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Before making a reservation here I checked reviews on several sites. I wasn't expecting the Four Seasons, but I expected a clean and quiet room and to feel safe. We were traveling with our large dog (not a typical traveling arrangement for us) so hotel options were limited.

1) Girl working behind the counter charged my credit card wrong. She wound up having to send in three transactions before she got the total amount correct.
2) There are signs on the walls in the lobby stating NO PETS even though this hotel specifically has rooms set aside for pet owners. They charge $10 per day for a pet in the room. The signage was confusing and misleading.
3) After checking the bed and finding it clean, I carefully checked the rest of the room. And found a 2 inch cockroach just chilling above the mirror in the main living space. Even with the lights on he wasn't scurrying. If you can see one roach, just imagine how many are around that you can't see!
4) The roach was the last straw on a frustrating day. I go back to the lobby and ask the girl for a refund. "There are no refunds." I state that there is a large bug in the room and firmly repeat my request for a refund. "There are no refunds for any reason. And I'm not allowed to give refunds, only the manager can."
5) After a very frustrating phone call to the manager where he stated that since this was a credit card and not a cash transaction, he was the only one able to process a refund. And he refused to even estimate when he would be in to do it.
6) The manager appears two minutes later and asks to see a photograph of the bug. Go look in the room! It's still there! We think he wanted us to erase the photographs. He goes and looks and tries to claim it's a "sewer roach" and that they fly and somehow this is supposed to reassure us???
7) He caves and agrees to refund my card. In the process he refuses to provide any of the receipt slips showing the refund on the card. My husband actually had to call the police on this guy before he relented. And when my husband threatened to call the cops, the manager started yelling at him that "if you call the cops I won't give you the refund". Yup, this is a classy joint.
8) We finally get all the proof that we want of the refund and the guy is still going on about how the problem is because of the credit card and no one uses credit cards to pay for hotel rooms (!!!) Is that ever a red flag? What sort of dive has primarily cash-paying customers? He also was very nervous about having the cops show up. Put those clues together.
9) He actually asked my husband "what are you, a lawyer?" because we are relatively intelligent people that know how a credit card refund should work.

They have all these AAA Platinum plaques hanging on the wall in the lobby. I'm a AAA member and I'm definitely getting in touch with them about this. This place does NOT deserve their endorsement.

The exterior of the place and the pool look decent, but inside the rooms there were obvious patches all over the walls and the carpet was dingy, and of course the cockroach was there. It's also right next to the 99 freeway, so it isn't really the best part of town.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
jamalie, Guest Relations Manager at California Best Inn, responded to this review, December 8, 2011
Every effort is made to make sure every guest has an enjoyable stay. While we try our best, sometimes things don't work out the way we want them.

The front desk agent that checked this guest in made a mistake and entered $9 instead of the actual amount to charge. She was new, and got flustered. The correct amount was finally charged, and appologies were made.

The full amount was refunded, and the manager had to do it, since the employee was new and wasn't sure how to proceed. We have a signed copy of the reciept indicating "Full refund was given", which was signed by the guest.

Been to California Best Inn? Share your experiences!