“Cheap Room!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Downtowner Inn

You added Historic Downtowner Inn to your Saves list
Historic Downtowner Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1301 Chester Ave, Bakersfield, CA 93301 (Formerly GuestHouse International Inn & Suites)   |
Ranked #34 of 59 Hotels in Bakersfield
Los Angeles, California
“Cheap Room!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

The area isn't the greatest, but as the title says, it's historic. The hotel was worn down overall, but for a great price. I'm from Los Angeles, and I've experienced bad hotels, and this hotel isn't as bad as what I've seen from other reviews on the hotel. It must be a competitor thing, because the reviews from other people sound like they are trying to promote a different hotel while saying bad things about this hotel. I liked that they had free breakfast, and my room was clean, that's all I really worry about. i would have one of the managers look into who is writing all of these crazy reviews, because obviously the hotel isn't as bad as what people are saying on here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

I booked online and paid online. After I drove about 800 miles, the hotel insisted on charging my card again, then when we got to the room......wow it should be shut down, I wish I could give 0 rating. The window did not have a latch at all and was wobble in the frame(very old), plus the window had at least a millimeter or more of dirt, not just a little dust but caked in dirt. We explicitly were told that it was a none smoking hotel when we checked in, the minute we entered the room the smell of smoke saturated the room with other foul odors, as well as burns on the furniture. Then the TV had long deep gouges carved across the face, you couldn't even see the picture if you wanted to. Stains on the bedding, stains on the floor, and the art on the wall was even crooked. If you want a place to take your paid companion this is it, however if you want a clean family place look elsewhere. I demanded a refund and got a room with Best Western crystal palace.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
KBH S
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

As a European I would not recommend this to any one from Europe, unless you like to be around a bad quarter. This review is based upon only driving to the lobby, and saw an awful sight of the frontdesk, so we do not have a clue of the rooms standard. But as foreigner I would not recommend it to other foreigners at all, because of the location basically. We drove away from our prebooked room.

Stayed February 2014
Janell T, Manager at Historic Downtowner Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for booking at the Historic Downtowner Inn. Unfortunately you decided not to check in and therefore weren't able to enjoy our amenities: free hot breakfast, lit parking, 24-hour front desk service and more. Many guests from out of the country have booked with us and had a pleasant stay. We hope you make the decision to try our hotel out next time if you book with us.

Pleasant travels!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

fire the assistant manager (supposedly) Worse customer service ever! very rude!! I told her I didn't appreciate her attitude and she told me off I really needed the room for business but after that one call of screaming and arguing I asked to cancel after she had told me she would cancel me anyways and then said she would still charge me the full amount for the room! I was suppose to have over 20+ appts there and I had to cancel every single one of them because of her! She needs to find a new profession with not communicating with people So pissed what a waste of my time and money!!

• Stayed February 2014
Burbank, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

It is a nice place overall. I was lucky to get a room in the back of the hotel away from the traffic sounds and overlooking the pool and gazebo. The beds were extremely comfortable. It was like sleeping on air. The staff was very friendly. I got a referral from Missy when I was fueling up and was wondering where I could find a room at a reasonable price. I enjoyed the free wifi and breakfast in the morning.

The only draw back is the location. The office was towards the busy road and I thought it would be noisy but when I got to my room, I couldn't hear the traffic. It is also within walking distance from Starbucks which I have to have on a daily if not hourly basis.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
McKittrick, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was very tired and I found this place. Interior looked retro but good. Beds were considerably comfortable and were pleasant to sleep in.

There was a hot breakfast served (scrambled eggs/hard boiled eggs/oatmeal/waffles/biscuits&gravy...) which was a surprise to me. was expecting some crummy cereal one usually expects, even in really good hotels.

That made my day. Probably the most under-rated 1-2 star hotel there is around.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Bakersfield, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This place is so disappointing! When I was about to sleep on my first night here I found 3 bed bugs crawling on my bed. I caught and saved them for the manager to see. I was not able to sleep that night thinking of getting bitten by nasty bugs and luckily I didn't. I reported it to management and didn't get transferred to another room until day 3.

Bad news continues: Rooms smelled so bad like an old dirty building, carpet very dirty (looks like never been steam cleaned), stinky shower curtain, A/C made crackling sound, elevator permit expired in 2010 no wonder sometimes didn't work, leaking fire sprinkler, and other minor things. I had to check out because of all these things I experienced.

The only good thing about this hotel is nice, friendly, attentive staff. Other than that, this place needs a total overhaul and new management.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Janell T, Manager at Historic Downtowner Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your review! We remember you sir, and appreciate your very friendly attitude throughout your 30 day stay. We especially appreciated that when you first checked in you immediately took the bed apart as you made a complete check-out of the room and fixtures, and brought a plastic bag containing several bugs down to the manager to show her. As you noted, the staff moved quickly to take care of this and put you in a new room. And as we spoke, when you checked out 30 days later, we handled every concern quickly and thoroughly. As you stated, you stay in a lot of hotels and you always make a habit to check everything carefully. That is a good policy. As you know, there is an international battle with bedbugs in hotels worldwide, especially with visitors from Europe and the Middle East. We have a quick and thorough response to any insect spotted. We kill them dead and thoroughly treat every inch of the room so they don’t come back. That’s why we, unlike many hotels today, are virtually free of bugs. As you mentioned, our staff provides attentive and quality service. We’re happy you got no bites, and were confident to stay on for thirty days with us. No other service can tackle a problem like we can and we appreciate your review as it allows us to better our guests’ experience.