“good place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Downtowner Inn

Burbank, California
“good place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

It is a nice place overall. I was lucky to get a room in the back of the hotel away from the traffic sounds and overlooking the pool and gazebo. The beds were extremely comfortable. It was like sleeping on air. The staff was very friendly. I got a referral from Missy when I was fueling up and was wondering where I could find a room at a reasonable price. I enjoyed the free wifi and breakfast in the morning.

The only draw back is the location. The office was towards the busy road and I thought it would be noisy but when I got to my room, I couldn't hear the traffic. It is also within walking distance from Starbucks which I have to have on a daily if not hourly basis.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
McKittrick, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was very tired and I found this place. Interior looked retro but good. Beds were considerably comfortable and were pleasant to sleep in.

There was a hot breakfast served (scrambled eggs/hard boiled eggs/oatmeal/waffles/biscuits&gravy...) which was a surprise to me. was expecting some crummy cereal one usually expects, even in really good hotels.

That made my day. Probably the most under-rated 1-2 star hotel there is around.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Bakersfield, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

This place is so disappointing! When I was about to sleep on my first night here I found 3 bed bugs crawling on my bed. I caught and saved them for the manager to see. I was not able to sleep that night thinking of getting bitten by nasty bugs and luckily I didn't. I reported it to management and didn't get transferred to another room until day 3.

Bad news continues: Rooms smelled so bad like an old dirty building, carpet very dirty (looks like never been steam cleaned), stinky shower curtain, A/C made crackling sound, elevator permit expired in 2010 no wonder sometimes didn't work, leaking fire sprinkler, and other minor things. I had to check out because of all these things I experienced.

The only good thing about this hotel is nice, friendly, attentive staff. Other than that, this place needs a total overhaul and new management.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Janell T, Manager at Historic Downtowner Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your review! We remember you sir, and appreciate your very friendly attitude throughout your 30 day stay. We especially appreciated that when you first checked in you immediately took the bed apart as you made a complete check-out of the room and fixtures, and brought a plastic bag containing several bugs down to the manager to show her. As you noted, the staff moved quickly to take care of this and put you in a new room. And as we spoke, when you checked out 30 days later, we handled every concern quickly and thoroughly. As you stated, you stay in a lot of hotels and you always make a habit to check everything carefully. That is a good policy. As you know, there is an international battle with bedbugs in hotels worldwide, especially with visitors from Europe and the Middle East. We have a quick and thorough response to any insect spotted. We kill them dead and thoroughly treat every inch of the room so they don’t come back. That’s why we, unlike many hotels today, are virtually free of bugs. As you mentioned, our staff provides attentive and quality service. We’re happy you got no bites, and were confident to stay on for thirty days with us. No other service can tackle a problem like we can and we appreciate your review as it allows us to better our guests’ experience.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

I didnt feel safe here and it was a dump. Upon entering the location I knew I had been had. It's surrounded by bail bonds locations all around, if that gives you any indication of the area. No one can deny the area is drug invested and travelers should be mindful of safety.
I got in the room and was road weary and just ready to be settled in for the night. The place smelled dirty. Carpets looked old and nasty. Sheets were stained. My buddy wanted to keep trucking but I said no. We both slept in our clothes on top of the bed with our pistols by our bedside. This place is not at all as presented. Travelers beware. Im not scared of much but this place had me on high alert all night.
My truck was still in the parking lot when I woke up and I wasn't kidnapped by meth heads. On a positive note, they do offer complimentary breakfast and hepatitis c to all visitors who stop.lol
If id have had my kid with me, I wouldn't have stayed here at all. No question about that.

• Stayed November 2013
fresno, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

When we arrived to the hotel our first thought was to leave. Our minds were changed immediately after entering the lobby, the manager i believe her name was Jannell (sorry if I spelled it wrong) was so pleasant, graceful and courteous as I did come across rude and demanded her to show us a room prior to checking in, she gave us a tour, and to our surprise the room was very nice room 223 to be exact. The housekeeper's are quick to respond to requests. Breakfast was awesome we were expecting muffins and cereal, and to our surprise we woke up to the smell of a home cooked meal, eggs, biscuits and gravy, hot and cold cereal, coffee, pastries and more. I would defiantly return to this hotel, and encourage you to give The Downtowner a visit.

Room Tip: if available get a room on the second floor breakfast is served on the second floor....and is a must...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The hotel staff were friendly and polite. They answered my questions. The rooms were comfortable and the beds were awesome!!!! I loved the wireless internet. I would suggest this hotel to whoever is looking for a great place to stay. Missy referred me to the hotel when I was looking for one while filling up my car.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

My parents came to Bakersfield and after my last experience, I sent them to the Downtowner.

They paid a cheaper rate than I did after booking online and they loved it. I rarely refer people to a hotel but after the great staycation I had, I felt giving them a shot would be worth it, and it really was!

Stayed November 2013

Been to Historic Downtowner Inn? Share your experiences!