“Walking distance to Amtrak and Convention Center/Rabobank Arena” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
“Walking distance to Amtrak and Convention Center/Rabobank Arena”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

If it wasn't for the sketchy people that sometimes hang around, would have given location five stars. It's a very convenient location being literally across the street from the Amtrak station if you're a train rider.

Room Tip: There is no elevator for the second floor. If someone in your group has issues with stairs make sure...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The carpets were filthy (don't walk barefooted!), the key card had to be replaced twice, the maid left soiled towels, didn't pick up used coffee cups, didn't clean coffee machine, left the ironing board and iron up, and didn't empty the trash from the room.

I took the time to email the hotel to inform them of these issues and guess what? They didn't have the professional courtesy to reply. That's a huge indicator of how important their guests are.

Room Tip: Choose a room at a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Tripresponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hill House, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for your review of our hotel; we do appreciate the feedback. We are sorry that we missed the mark during your stay. We continuously look for ways to improve our guest experiences and will definitely take this information back to our staff and address it.

G. J. Zala
Phelan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

I work in Bakersfield 1 week per month. I booked the hotel because it was a 3 star and a decent distance to my project. I do not think this should be considered a 3 star hotel. It's older and showing its age. The interior of the building smells like a cat box and chemicals. The room is showing age. The carpet was so sticky and dirty we had to get house shoes because bare feet and socks would turn black with the filth.
The tv stand had space for a refrigerator, but they have a tiny refrigerator cut into the sink vanity. Kind of a waste. The room smelled like chemicals and old lady's perfume.
The little park behind the hotel was full of homeless people and drug dealers. We actually saw drug sales when we walked out to look at the "charming little canal".
A car was broken into in the parking lot during our stay.
I don't care what they say, but this hotel is in a bad part of town . Hookers, drug dealers and car break ins. I'd like to see a manager walk out in the parking lot or into that park if its so safe.

• Stayed June 2014
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

I stayed here for four nights in Oct '13 whilst attending the California Hot Rod Reunion. Next time I am in Bakersfield I will not hesitate to book a room here. Clean, comfy rooms and a good pool to cool off in after a long day in the sun.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

The Hotel was great, Room was super Clean, Near a Awesome Canal, Pool was Cold. Breakfast not Good, Lice a over rated Continental Breakfast and Felt uneasy out Side with all the Riff raff in the Parking lot, Near the Bus Stop. Police were there 3x in a 24 hour time, LOCK YOUR CAR

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Albuquerque, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

This hotel was horrible. I had stayed here once before and it wasn't bad - not the greatest, but not bad. I would never stay here again though. Too noisy (guests and thin walls/ceiling - people upstairs). I had a hard time sleeping. Bed was weird - kind of sunk in (king size). Internet was an issue which I reported. Check-in was okay, though no acknowledgement of my request for an upstairs room (which I did not get) and person who checked me out on Friday did not even ask me how my stay was (I was prepared to say something, but decided to save it for the review now instead). Oh, and I'm pretty sure just down the street (one street over on the "main" street) there were prostitutes hanging out. I was headed to Hwy 58 East and saw a few girls "hanging out" at 6 a.m. scantily dressed.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Tripresponse, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hill House, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
We are centrally located in the business district of Bakersfield across from the Convention Center and Marriott.

Your reservation was for a regular king, which are all on the first floor. The king business plus rooms are located on the second floor. We were sold out that day and couldn't upgrade your reservation to a room on the second floor.

G. J. Zala
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

My Wife and I were involved in a motorcycle accident and while I was discharged from the hospital four days later. My wife would spend another ten more days. The staff at Hill house was made aware of the situation and could not bend over backwards far enough to make my stay as comfortable as possible. Knowing I was still injured and fully booked on up coming Convention weekend, they somehow was able to find me a suite. Thank you Hill House Staff from Amanda and Garry.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Hill House? Share your experiences!