Driving back from Yosemite to Ventura County, husband and I had three tired children in the car. As we approached Bakersfield (10:30 pm) decided we needed to give up on moving forward and find a hotel. Pulled over at the first off-ramp and found ourselves in a seedy neighborhood with questionable quality hotels. Decided we'd plug in our favorite - Holiday Inn Express - and find one.
Arrived to find a beautiful lobby - flanked by staircases worthy of an antebellum mansion. I was so tired I darn near crawled to the front desk where the man obviously noticed my exhaustion. Told him I needed non-smoking with two beds because we had three children.
"I will make sure you have a nice large room" he said with sympathy.
We dragged ourselves to the room, and found it to be expansive! Two incredibly comfortable queen size beds, a large soft and comfy loveseat, a kitchenette. With the kids tucked in, hubby goes to shower and exclaims with joy!
The shower was a full size vertical massaging shower with rotatable jets along its entire surface. You can control the water temperature as the gauge shows temps, but it has a safety feature so that children don't scald themselves. Hubby was in there so long I thought he had drowned. But when it was my turn, I understood the reason for the lengthy session.
It was, by far, the best shower I EVER EVER had! I contemplated sleeping in the shower - standing up.
Of course, like all HIE, this property served free hot breakfast. It was just enough for us to fuel our bodies for the next leg of the car trip (where we were subject to hours of "he's touching me! SHE's touching me!"
The shower was therapy. The staff - so incredibly understanding!
If you need a nice, clean and safe place to stay at a reasonable price, with a friendly and very sympathetic staff . . . Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Bakersfield Central is THE PLACE!
The ONLY reason I didn't rate the value at 5, is because I usually pay government rates and am a little spoiled by this. I didn't rate room service because we were not there long enough to experience it.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express And Suites Bakersfield Central
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central Hotel
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central Hotel Bakersfield
- Wyndham Bakersfield
- Bakersfield Wyndham
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the brand new Legacy Suites Hotel Bakersfield, CA. Offering 90 all suite accommodations featuring 37" plasma TVs, complimentary wired and wireless T1 internet access in all rooms. At the end of a long day relax in our full body massage showers, standard in all guest rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.