“Like the Curate's Egg, Parts of it are Excellent” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central

You added Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3001 Buck Owens Blvd, Bakersfield, CA 93308 (Formerly W Garden Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
St. Neots, United Kingdom
“Like the Curate's Egg, Parts of it are Excellent”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We were using our Priority Club points to pay for our night's stay - I hope this wasn't the reason for the unfriendly attitude of the man on reception on our arrival and departure. The reception lobby is very impressive with a curved double staircase - it's a pity the welcome didn't live up to it.

Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable (great beds). There was a modern multi-nozzle shower in the bathroom, but the temperature control was faulty. Good choice of hot and cold breakfast items.

There's a patio and a small unheated pool at the rear of the hotel - this would have been a very pleasant place to swim and relax if the noise from the adjacent freeway hadn't been so loud that we couldn't hear each other's conversation.

This hotel is OK, but I can't really say much more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel to avoid freeway noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

A comfortable little hotel with great-looking, nicely appointed rooms. When we checked in, the gentleman at the front desk noticed that our car had a fully loaded luggage rack an offered to let us park outside the front door in the porte cochère. We took most stuff inside but enjoyed the piece of mind.

The shower console was fancier than I have seen in even 5-star properties. It has four jets, a shower head, and a temperature dial that was malfunctioning during our visit.

Yes, the 99 Freeway was a little loud but not bad enough to interfere with sleep - think airport hotel without the airport.

One other point to keep in mind is what the hotel calls a suite is not a suite at all. They consider a suite an oversized hotel room with sink, fridge and microwave. If you are traveling with family an need privacy, get two rooms.

Room Tip: The first floor has a poorly designed layout as some rooms exist on the 1st Floor near the ice machi...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

A problem with our priority rewards reservation was resolved between central reservations and hotel management. The facility is beautifuly, very clean, and very comfortable. Thanks especially to Cal and housekeeper, Vasquez, for their attention and great service. We will stay again.
Jon and Donna

Room Tip: We enjoyed our King bed suite on the Buck Owens Street side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed for one night on the way to San Francisco. We pre booked a 2 room suite as we were a family of 4 with 2 teenage girls. The room was reasonably comfortable but we found it odd that separating the rooms were clear glass double French doors, which offered absolutely no privacy, at least some coverings would have been useful. Not enough towels in the room for the 4 of us and we had to ring reception to get some more. Bathroom light was faulty which made it difficult to use at night. Worst of all was the traffic noise. I had read about this in other reviews and I thought it might not be a problem, but let me tell you if you have a room at the rear of the hotel above the first floor, it literally overlooks a major freeway with non stop traffic noise all night (lots of loud trucks). I'm a light sleeper and hardly slept all night ! The windows were closed but it hardly made any difference. The only bright spot of our stay was that the variety of the breakfast provided was reasonably good.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the rear of the hotel as they overlook a major freeway and the traffic noise will aff...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were in town for a week-end gymnastic tournament so we got the family suite & the room was amazing. It was SO clean especially the carpets, no socks needed. The carpets actually appeared to have recently been cleaned. The beds were so cozy & comfortable, we slept great & felt so refreshed in the morning. In the morning they had the most amazing self serve breakfast I have ever had: scrambles eggs, sausage, breakfast burritos, 4 kinds of cereals, an assortment of danishes, hot cinnamon rolls, assorted oatmeal, english muffins, bagels, toast w/butter, peanut butter & jellies, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, milk chocolate milk, apple juice, oj, tea & coffee. This is a huge plys in my book when you are traveling with children. The hot food was always kept hot & tasted like it was just cooked. We used the fitness room which very impressive for a hotel. It was fresh, clean & everything worked great. I must say that the best part was the hotel staff. They were so warm & welcoming from the second we set foot in the lobby, which was by the way was so beautiful, until we checked out. We actually didn't want to leave, they treated us like friends and not just as hotel guests. We plan on making this the only hotel we stay at when we are in Bakersfield. 5 Stars all the way!

Room Tip: The family suite is a great option for families of 4 or more.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here last night and was wowed by the suite I was given at a reduced rate. The hotel is beuatiful, clean, well maintained, etc. The room was huge (for one). Quite franjly, it was one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in and I have stayed in many 4 and 5 star hotels. Granted the services were limited, but the hotel and room lovely!!

Room Tip: Get a king suite-you won't be sorry-i asked for and got a quiet room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Worst Hotel ever! I can't believe that this hotel is allowed to stay in business! I stayed here for business and right from the start I had a horrible reception with the front desk Manager. His name was Kal. I couldn't understand a word he was saying and it looked like he was intoxicated. I told him that I couldn't understand him and he rolled his eye's like it was my fault! that right there made me feel like walking out and finding another hotel, but I was tired and it was almost 1:00 a.m, so I decided to just get my key to my room and end this awkward situation that I was experiencing. I went to my room and was about to take a shower when I saw thick clumps of hair in the tub that had dead cockroaches in it! My bed had little hairs covered on it that looked to be from the pubic region, so I called down to the front desk and the manager said he couldn't do anything about that and I heard him laughing to someone else while he was talking to me. I told him that this was the worst service I have ever had and right when I said that he had hung the phone up on me! I packed up my bag's and left as soon as that happened. As I was walking out I saw him quickly put away a bottle of Jack Daniel's. I told him that I am going to report him for everything that happened and he told me that nothing will happen because his dad own's this hotel and that he can do what he want's( while he was saying all of this he was wobbling all around and couldn't even hand me my receipt without falling over). LAST TIME I EVER STAY HERE!!!!!

Room Tip: From what I have seen your better off sleeping in your car than staying at this hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear john m,

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bakersfield Central? Share your experiences!