“Cockroach Motel” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
and 1 more site!
You added Best Economy Inn to your Saves list
Best Economy Inn
5200 Olive Tree Court, Bakersfield, CA 93308 (Formerly Econo Lodge Bakersfield)   |
Ranked #51 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
“Cockroach Motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I took a look of one of the rooms early Jun 2014.
There were lots of cock roaches around the sink.
Besides this that room was in a terrible shape and filthy.
On my way out I talked to some other guest who said that most rooms have bed bugs.
Apparently the owner knows about it but still keeps renting these rooms.
I'm wondering why the health department doesn't close places like this down.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

My fiance and I were "hotel hopping" while we looked for a steady source of income because we had just moved down to Bakersfield. The rooms at the Best Economy were cheap, so we rented a room. The first room we stayed at was literally full of bedbugs and cockroaches, and we had to complain three times for them to switch our rooms. The second room didn't have any bugs, and the A/C worked just fine at first, but I honestly could not walk on the carpet without my socks turning completely black. We were also on the backside of the hotel where there were no cameras, and people tried breaking in a few times. I never felt safe unless my fiance was there with me, the room was filthy, and the security wasn't exceptional. But, the people were always very kind and considerate, and the rooms are cheap.

• Stayed June 2013
Northern California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I don't think I've ever stayed in a worse place! The smell was of feces and cigarettes and the broken AC had no cover. Roaches and fleas were visible and what I pray are spider bites ran up and down my lower legs after we left.
Gross, gross, gross, Red nail polish (I hope!) stains were all over the furniture and walls and I kept thinking how many stories the holes in the doors and walls could tell!
Just gross.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Yuma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

03/21/13

The Wife and I checked in and went to our room. What a shock. The room smells, the cover was off the AC unit. there was paint peeling off the ceiling, the bathtub did not look like it had been cleaned in a long time. There was only one pillow on the bed and not even a complete set of towels. We did not turn back the covers on the bed. Who knows what we would have found.

We went back to the office and asked for a refund. They willingly gave us a refund, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. I would assume this is common.

Cap & Virginia

Room Tip: Look at the room first.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Townsville, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed January 2012.

We had driven from Hoover Dam on our way to San Fran and stopped here to overnight. We arrived late at night and it was a 'let's just pull in here, I can't go on any further' type of decision.

Big mistake. We had a room on the ground floor close to the office. It was small with two double beds, a/c, fridge and a small bathroom. We had two towels to share between the 4 of us (okay as we had our kids, not okay if I was travelling with other adults). The airconditioning didn't work very well and only seemed to have one temperature - very hot. I had to sleep with the door partly open with the security latch attached; needless to say I had very little sleep that night. I put the kids in the bed furthest from the door and hubby and I close to the door. We had to listen to screaming, cars revving, doors slamming, children crying and screaming, plus a woman crying all night. It was around 1am that I was at the point where I wanted to pack up my family and leave.

I've never felt more unsafe anywhere than I have here.

We left as early as possible in the morning, probably around 7.30am. We checked out the breakfast when we returned our key and decided bread and coffee wasn't going to cut it. We stopped at a McDonald's on our way out of town.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you can afford to stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
bakersfield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

my experience at this motel was terrible. the office staff was very nice but the room was horrible. the room stunk the bed was very uncomfortable they even had cockroaches running up the walls. and the people in the other rooms were very loud and i felt very unsafe . I do not recommend this motel to anybody. i dont care how cheap they rent for its still to much.

Room Tip: dont rent here ever.......
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We booked this hotel in the last minute as this was the cheapest in Bakersfield. But this turned to be a big mistake.

Pro's
1. Has lots of Parking Space available.
2. Is very cheap amongst nearby hotel.

Con's
1. The hotel rooms are very dirty and not maintained. We had spiders in blanket. Flies abound in the room. We had two rooms and both had the same conditions. The beds are not exactly clean.
2. Hotel Equipment did not work. The exhaust was broken and did not work and nor did multiple plug points. The AC has three settings and makea lot of noise.
3. Dont eat the breakfast. Although they serve only bread (along with butter and jams) and orage juice but you are bound to fall sick. All 5 of us fell sick after having just 1 bread and 1 glass of juice each.

So in case you have no options available then and only then book this hotel else stay away as much as possible.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Best Economy Inn? Share your experiences!