“Like a family you can trust!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane

You added Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3600 Chester Lane, Bakersfield, CA 93309 (Formerly Extended Stay Deluxe - Bakersfield - Chester Lane)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
SAVE 15% TODAY!
Ranked #21 of 59 Hotels in Bakersfield
“Like a family you can trust!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed for a weekend and my first impression of the look was "wow"! Also, it was accessible and convenient near the freeway. When I left to go home, I accidentally left my purse in our room and the manager kindly fed ex to me, knowing he was so busy. Now, that's what I call "like a family you can trust!". The staff was great and patient with me on the phone- yet very "professional"- cuz I was nervous about my bag, although I had my ID and credit cards not in the bag. This bag was sentimental to me and the manager understood. Great breakfast "on the go" and very clean! I did look at the other Extended Stay on Calif. Avenue but did not appeal to me. Overall, I would return again!!!

• Stayed April 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear your glowing review of our hotel. The staff and I are so happy that we were able to find your purse and send it to you in timely fashion. It is our goal to ensure our guests are satisfied before, during and even after their stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had a choice between this ESA on Chester Lane, and the one on California Street. Just a word to the wise, the Chester Lane property backs up to a railroad yard, and unless you get a room that faces the front of the property, it's very noisy. Additionally, it's close to the freeway, which is convenient for access, but not so great for noise.

Also a word to the wise, you need to ask for shampoo and a hair dryer - which were happily given, but I've actually never stayed in a hotel where these two items weren't provided. It seemed inappropriately stingy.

For the one night that we stayed, the room was fairly comfortable and clean enough, and convenient (walking distance if you're feeling athletic) to some decent restaurants (Coco's and Marie Calendar's).

My biggest issue with the ESA/Chester Lane is that the door to our room had about a 1.5 inch gap at the bottom. My first thought was to wonder how many outside bugs/varmits found their way into this room. But the corker was in the middle of the night during one heck of a windstorm, it was necessary to stumble around at midnight and find things (towels, phone books, baggage, etc.) to shove up against the door to try to block the howling/freezing wind from entering our room.

There are comparably priced properties in Bakersfield, fairly close by, so my advice is to try one of those. We'll certainly look elsewhere next time we're passing through.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

On the negative side, the hotel's front entrance boasts a handicap sign. They don't have automatic doors! If you want to avoid the smoking area, use the front entrance only.

On the positive side, the daily continental breakfast consisted of beverages: coffee, hot chocolate, and tea, fruit: apples and oranges, oatmeal packets of many different flavors, plus oatmeal squares of apple cinnamon and maple brown sugar and the occasional mini muffins from Marie Callendar's and Otis Spunkmeyer. The amenities of full sized fridge, dishwasher (housekeeping gives you the soap), microwave, stove top, lots of cupboards, pans, plates, etc. make it a homey experience. It's very clean and the staff is friendly and helpful.
My room on the top floor overlooked the back parking lot of Barnes & Noble and their dumpster. If you ask for a quiet room and they give you one of these rooms that overlook this eyesore ..... change to a different room! It's NOT quiet!! Besides the trash men who come at 6:30 am to empty it, there are the dumpster divers at all hours of the night making noise!!
Besides this, ESA is one of the better hotels in the area. I would stay again.

Room Tip: If your room overlooks the Barnes & Noble dumpster, ask for a different room. It won't be qu...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time write a review of your stay with us. We appreciate the positive comments about how clean and fresh the property was during your visit. Thank you so much for choosing Extended Stay Hotels, we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Bakersfield.
Wilton, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

There's just nothing like having a refridgerator, stove, microwave, coffeemaker and a good TV when you live on the road. The price was very good and the room was large and comfortable. Great stopover en route to las vegas!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
We just received a copy of your review and wanted to thank you for the positive comments about your stay with us. I'm thrilled that you found the well equipped kitchen a benefit while on the road. Again, thank you for the positive review, we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Bakersfield.
Central California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Truly a pleasant surprise. Clean hotel, comfortable room & helpful, friendly staff. Bed was cozy. They don't clean the rooms everyday, which is fine--and they let us get clean towels. Pots, pans, dishes, silverware, stove, full-sized fridge, dishwasher, microwave & coffee-maker all made for a fun stay--

Heard no noise from outside or in the halls. Beds were comfortable. Slept like rocks. Close to the convention center, Amtrak and the water park.

Room Tip: We didn't even ask if there was a pool at the hotel. We had no problem with our room. We just re...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay with us. We're so pleased that you found our amenities a great value to you during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Bakersfield.
Spring Creek, Nevada, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I have stayed here twice and I have to say I am very comfortable here. I really enjoyed the people who cleaned my room and the front desk staff during the week days were very helpful. The rooms are amazingly quiet and comfortable. I brought my pets with me this time and the cleaning staff are very good about working around animals. The only problem I have is that there aren't a whole lot of the tv channels I am used to on the satellite. There is free wifi in all rooms. Thank you Extended Stay Bakersfield for making both of my stays there very nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HotelManagement14, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay Deluxe Bakersfield - Chester Lane. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!
It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future. Thank you once again, and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels
Lancaster, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

This Hotel is in a great location. Near restaurants and the Freeway and the price was wonderful. The room was comfortable and had everything we needed for a one night business trip. We arrived early between appointments hoping to drop off our bags. The young lady behind the counter told us a room was clean, however, it would be $15.00 for an early check in. She also told us we requested a smoking room, which we did not. She insisted we did and it could not be changed since they were sold out. This was not a great start for our trip with this Extended Stay hotel. We came back later in the day (having refused to pay extra for early check in) and the manager checked us in. It was a much better expierence and we did finally get a non smoking room. What started out rocky ended up being a half way decent stay due to the manager's excellent customer service...I would give them another try.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HotelManagement14, Manager at Extended Stay America - Bakersfield - Chester Lane, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you so very much for your review of Extended Stay Deluxe Bakersfield - Chester Lane. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and one of our greatest reward is your feedback, as it gives us the opportunity to improve. Please accept my sincere apologies for the start of your stay. Luckily the Manager was able to turn that around but I'm still sorry that happened to you.

Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. our email is bcl@extendedstay.com in case you would like to discuss further or even book future reservations. Once again, thanks for the comments.