“A Solid Choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
San Diego, California
“A Solid Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

We have stayed at Hilton Garden Inns in Seattle and Washington, DC - this was our first visit to the Bakersfield hotel. This HGI was a bit older but still in good condition. Our room was quiet, the bed and pillows comfortable and the bathroom acceptable.

The location is convenient to the main roads leading into and out of Bakersfield and there are several restaurants nearby. Overall this is a very good place to stay although the price is perhaps a bit higher than you would have to pay for a similar accomodations nearby - there are several other hotels in close proximity.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bakersfield, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Thank you for the great review David! We strive to be the best in Bakersfield and love hearing comments from guests. We look forward to having you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

My wife and I unfortunately had automobile problems on returning from skiing in Lake Tahoe. We were stranded on the Grapevine and had to be towed back into Bakersfield. We selected this hotel as it was listed as one of the nicer hotels listed on line. We made reservations while waiting for our tow truck. When the truck arrived we were taken to the hotel and we were able to have our car dropped off in a well lighted parking lot as we checked in for the night. We selected a room with a king sized bed and the receptionist told us about the use of the mattress comfort switches supposedly located somewhere around the mattress. We were given a room on 2nd floor, a perfect location to watch our car as we had a lot of personal things in our car including our skis on a ski rack and a pod (carrier) with a lot of personal things inside.
Our room was large and I thought very comfortable. However, the desk could not find any carts to help us bring some of our luggage to our room. Supposedly the guests use the carts and then leave them in their rooms. There is no bell hop so we were on our own with our luggage. We were able to log on the W-fi easy enough and the flat screen TV worked perfectly, There is a refrigerator in the room which I was able to use for our cooler items. There is no mini bar but these items can be purchased at the front desk as there is a mini-market located by the front desk. Since we had food in our cooler, the restaurant kindly provided us with dished, glasses, silverware and a tray to take to our room which has a microwave making it easy to heat of some of our food we brought with us. There is a Krups Coffee Maker in the room but they had no refills. The front desk said, they ran out and were on order but in the morning, I could come down to the restaurant and get free coffee. My only complaint was the bathroom was a little dated. Clean but needs some work The shower head didn't function properly and if you left the bathroom door open, it blocked the opening of the hotel room door. This is a very poor design. The bed for sleeping turned out to be comfortable and we found out the next day, the adjustment for the mattress is located on each side of the bed but they are covered as not to show. The towels were plentiful and clean. For breakfast the next morning, we decided not to purchase the $11.95 buffet but just purchase a bowl of cereal each and a bagel. However, they charged me one dollar each for a small box of cereal, a dollar for the bagel and a dollar for a small cartoon of milk to put on our cereal. We believe that if you buy cereal they should provide the milk. At least they didn't charge us for any jelly packs to use on the bagel, I also checked out the fitness room which were two Stair Masters and a tread mill. Next door there is a very small pool, not large enough for laps and a hot tub. It also appeared they had Disabled Chairs to lower people into the pool and hot tub located around both. There were fresh towels in both facilities and since there is no life guard, you use the pool at your own risk. We were able to arrange for a late check out which is 2:00PM at the latest. Anytime after that we would have to pay 1/2 price or unless we stayed the night and pay full price. As it was, we were able to check out by 2:00PM. I did inquire about spending the night if it was necessary and they told me they were booked up which would create a problem for us so luckily, our car was repaired and we were on the way. The Hotel appears to be in a good location with other restaurants around the area. I would suggest the Benji's French Basque Restaurant located a block and 1/2 away on Riverdale. It is outstanding.

Room Tip: Either side of the hotel has no real outstanding views. The back side faces a large parking lot. The...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the detailed and great review Tom! I'm sorry to hear about the car troubles, but am glad we lived up to your expectations. We look forward to having you again, by choice and not for car troubles.
Palo Alto, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Traveling 200 nights annually, I only expect in terms of property structure and service the best of the best. Structurally speaking this is a very nice hotel. Whereas, hat really sets this hotel apart is their superior service and attention to detail, both my colleagues receive from their award winning staff here. From Oscars team of talented. committed and caring team to the morning - evening cafe staff. From the minute your greeted at the front desk staff through check out, and everything in between, the staff is simply superb. Being in a corporate leadership role myself, I realize the challenges that go with identifying and motivated key team resources. It's vividly apparent this property's leadership is extremely experienced in the area of the operation. I tend to notice how the other guests are received and cared for throughout their stay and have not once saw an ounce of disappointment with them either. Sounds like their positiveness is consistent with my feelings too. When traveling to Bakersfield i would highly recommend this hotel and the Noriega Hotel for authentic Basque food. I want to express my sincere gratitude to all the hotels resources. Enjoy your stay. Jim

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review Jim. Oscar runs a tight ship and we have only the best of the best employees here! I'll be sure to share your comments with our team and look forward to having you with us again. Cheers!
Fresno, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Really - a 2 - 3 star experience.

We have stayed here many times, and this time was the lest satisfying. The desk staff was not overly friendly - did her job and that was about it. We are Hilton Honors members and were told our water and snack were in our room; they were not.

The room was clean - but we could never get the bed firmness adjustment to work - so . . poor night's sleep. (so . . 1 or 2 stars here). The windows were very dirty. I know they can't be clean all the time, but . . these didn't appear to be "new" dirty - who wants to look out dirty windows?

Breakfast staff in the morning were very nice and accommodating.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nick S, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bakersfield, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I do apologize that our hotel didn't live up to your previous experiences. Please contact me directly the next time you come through so that I can show you the improvements we've made to the hotel.

Best regards,

Nick Soberano
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

If you're looking for a quiet room to spend the night, this hotel fits the bill! Room was large, the bed was great, plus there was a coffee maker and microwave. There's free Wi-fi but we didn't use it, so I can't vouch for it. Check in was quick too. I didn't check out the small pool or spa, but it was in an enclosed room by the parking lot. (Wish I'd remembered my swimsuit.)
On the down side, our quickest door to walk in upon returning did not have a key card opener that worked so we had to walk around to the front door (although that was probably only an extra 30 yards.) Also, if you're looking for a free continental breakfast, that's not included. They do have a small restaurant if you don't want to go elsewhere. Also, it's not far to many available restaurants along 99. One other bad point, although not so bad I still didn't find this hotel a good stay, was that I could smell a musty, spray odor (probably air freshener) in the hall on our first day, but that went away later. Our room smelled fine and was smoke free.
So, overall, for this price, this hotel was definitely better than a couple others I've stayed in while in Bakersfield.

Room Tip: We were the first room after the elevator, hall and a storage closet, and heard no outside noise at...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review! We love hearing about the beds!
I've had maintenance check the door lock and they've fixed it so there won't be any more issues.
We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Bakersfield, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

This hotel was worth the stay. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and smelled fresh. We asked for more towels and they arrived within 10 minutes. Check-in was smooth, as was checkout. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Nick S, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bakersfield, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Thank you for your recent review. We look forward to having you again!
Tracy, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

This was a great place to stay for a business trip. It had a very convenient location, close to Highway 58 and 99. Staff was very friendly and helpful. My room was very large, clean, and comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling through on business.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your recent review. We love hearing comments like that!

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Bakersfield? Share your experiences!