“HOTEL STAY FROM HELL” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
Los Angeles, California
“HOTEL STAY FROM HELL”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Worst hotel experience I've had in my life! All I needed was a place to lay my head for 6 hours for a very important hearing the next morning. I arrived at approx. 11:15 p.m. already exhausted from a long drive and just wanted to go to sleep. Their staff put me in room 211, a handicap room. I’m not sure why they put me in a handicap room when there were other rooms available. In any case, the room was over 80 degrees. I tried to turn on the air conditioning but it was broken. The poor gal from the front desk came up to my room and tried to fix it to no avail. Also, although it was designated as a non-smoking room, smoke was seeping through the window from folks smoking outside below. So I was moved to room 232.

Everything was fine until I woke up a few hours later. The toilet wouldn't flush. I was freaking out because I thought it was going to overflow. I needed to get out of there by 6:30 so I jumped in the shower with the intent to get the heck out of there and never look back. Unfortunately, there were more to come. When I got out of the shower, the blow-dryer didn't work. Their staff gave me a new one and that didn't work either. It turned out that the fuse was blown.

Is it so much to ask for a room that works??? I'm sure they can appreciate that we have busy lives and responsibilities. I had a million things on my mind. I had to finish prepping for my hearing. I can understand things break down here and there, but two rooms in a row??? That was unacceptable stress that I had to experience . I chose the Hilton because I thought it was a reliable choice. Now I cringe at the thought of it. I've stayed at cheap places in the middle of nowhere that took better care of their property. No patron should have to deal with broken air conditioning, broken toilet and blown fuses. It was uninhabitable and unacceptable. My recommendation is to stay somewhere else until they learn to take care of their property. Lastly, I would like to apologize to the poor gal that I chewed out at the front desk. It’s not her fault that she works for a crappy property.

Room Tip: Go to the Marriott. Anywhere but here until they learn to take care of their property.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
pbonner, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bakersfield, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'd like to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered during your stay with us. When you come to a hotel you're expecting to get a great night's sleep and unfortunately we were not able to provide you with that. Again, I thank you for your review and we'll be sure to keep your comments in mind as we make future improvements to our hotel. I'd love to have you back to give our hotel a second chance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Gouda, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

At check-in I mentioned my limited mobility (walking on crutches), but despite that the lady at the front desk assigned me a room the furthest away from the lobby. When I asked her how far the room was, her reply was: just around the corner...............I was too tired to go back and complain. But I am glad I spend most of my business stays in Accor and HGI hotels, both loyalty programs where I am a Platinum member. Missed opportunity Hilton!!!
Breakfast was OK, for the money spent. Parking space insufficient, had to park at the hotel next door. Overall, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
pbonner, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Bakersfield, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our hotel! Please accept my apologies for your experience during your stay. This will be discussed with the staff that made this grave error and we will work to correct them going forward. Our goal is always to provide the best, most accommodating service possible, and I regret that we failed to do so in your case. I hope you'll come back and give our hotel a second chance if your travels bring you back to our area. Thank you for your review.
Santa Paula, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were celebrating our 46th wedding anniversary, and the staff at the Bakersfield Hilton Garden Inn made our trip special. As for accommodations, we could not have asked for more. A definite five-star experience!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Fair Oaks, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn in Bakersfield is located near Costco. The accommodations are very comfortable. There is an indoor pool and spa and there are great places to eat nearby. The staff is very welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Santa Maria, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stay here this place is nice, comfortable and an awesome front desk staff that cares. Ana and Christina are great and know the area quite well. They made sure everything was handled. Thanks again guys!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Lancaster, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My quilt group arranged to use this hotel for our annual quilt retreat. Our price included guest room, use of conference rooms and several meals in the restaurant. We had 19 attendees and every one agrees that this hotel was the best venue we've used, by far. The guest rooms are really nice. The beds are comfortable. The conference rooms worked very well for our needs. The food was good. The service was excellent across the board. Arturo, in the restaurant, is a superstar. He provided us with impeccable service and his sense of humor had us rolling on the floor. We'll definitely be back to this hotel for our next retreat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your review and for being a loyal group with us since 2004 (build). We always enjoy our Quilting Retreat Group of guest and appreciate your business.
Silver Springs Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The staff were all very friendly and efficient. The room was very nice and very clean. Great value for the money. Will stay here again. pool and spa were inside and very clean, with towel service. The check in and check out process was extremely quick. We were allowed to check in 1 1/2 hour early for our stay. We stayed 2 nights and were very pleased with this facility.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Bakersfield? Share your experiences!