“No frills” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
Lynden, Washington
“No frills”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

The room price was great, but it was definitely a no-frills stay. Room was reasonably comfortable, clean and not too noisy. We encountered a panhandler in the parking lot in front of the hotel office and had concerns about the safety of our vehicle.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Newark, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed in room 219 2/28 and 3/1/13.
Let me start with the only positive. The woman that took my reservation was very nice and helpful, as was the woman at check in. I think they are the same person.
#1 The website shows an updated property. This is NOT, other than the lobby.
#2 The elevator was old and felt unsafe,
#3 The hallways carpets were disgusting
#4 The pool water was freezing and the "hot tub" just a few degrees above that
#5 Now for the room: the shower was unclean with ashes and dirt in the bottom, I have pictures. Mold around the tub, and walls.
#6 Carpet in the room was sticky, and so badly stained we never took our shoes off. #7 The mini firdge was so broken the ice part was rusted and dangling, making keeping our food and ice safe was impossible.
#8 Hand towels stained and probably not washed before our visit.
#9 The room to the right of our, the last on the floor was occupied by extremely loud children who were running the hallways, screaming and slamming doors from 11pm until 2:30 when I threw a fit, yelling at them and the room several down that they seemed to be travelling with. I called the front desk twice, and received no assistance, security guard seemed more occupied B/Sing with his friends that helpful at all.
#10 Wi-Fi password never worked. We called the front desk many times to make sure we had the info correct, but we were given incorrect password errors. No one to help or fix this, we were just out of luck. Plainly stated, we left at 9pm on 3/1/13 to make a 6 hour drive, rather than stay another night in this TERRIBLE hotel. We really feel like you pulled the bait and switch. DO NOT STAY HERE... FOR ANY REASON!

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The building itself and room is nice. Clean, has all the amenities.
The area can be a little bit shady at night. There were some teenagers who were loud in the evening, but this didn't last long.
Overall a very good value.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We got this room at 50$ without tax for a kingsize bed and were very pleased.

Pros:
- Everything was spotless
- Fast internet
- Breakfast was good. Not as extensive as some of the other hotels, but decent enough to get your day started right
- Staff was friendly and efficient. The laundry room was a bit dirty when we entered, I mentioned it and by the time our laundry was done everything was cleaned.
- Plenty of amenities, big tv, lots of channels, fridge and microwave. Pool and hot tub were clean

Cons:
- Hot tub could have been warmer

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Concord, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed here for one night when we were travelling from Las Vegas to Sequoia/Yosemite National Parks. It was perfect for what we needed and a great deal! It was a little tricky to find, as it is behind a restaurant and they share the same driveway. The room was VERY clean, as well as all other areas we saw. Every staff member we saw was smiling and friendly. We got a very reasonable rate which helped to balance out what we were about to spend in the National Parks!

I will say that at one point I was looking out the window which faced a parking lot next door and there was a vagrant making his was across the lot towards the hotel. He had a beverage in a paper bag and appeared to have already had a few based on his walking abilities. This wasn't a big deal for us, but I can see how it would make the previous reviewer (single female travelling on business) a little nervous.

We did not partake in the continental breakfast, so I can't comment on that.

If you need a decent overnight place to stay that's clean and a good value, don't hesitate to stay here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Austin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I would like to rate this property 'very good' except the parking lot is pretty scary. (single business woman traveling) I arrived late about 11pm after driving from the Burbank airport. I felt unsafe in the parking lot. The lot is accessible to anyone walking by. They do have security cameras but after meeting the front desk people I highly doubt anyone pays attention to the cameras.

I walked in the front office and was not acknowledged at all. I had to wait for about 3-5 mins while they counted money. That is a long time to wait after a long drive. I asked if I could use the ladies room before I checked in by was told it would take just as long to use the one by the pool as it would for me to get a key to my room. I had to ask where my room was and where to park. Again I felt vulnerable in the parking lot while unloading my car.

After my first impression of this motel I was weary of what my room was going to be like. I was SO surprised that it was very nice inside. I was actually shocked and my room exceeded my expectations.

The room was super clean, and pretty big. It had a separate counter with a coffee maker, microwave and even a little sink. The vanity was spacious and the bath was clean. The main room had a little couch (no stains) and coffee table. The desk had a new thick cushy office chair. It had a clean, quiet refrigerator. The bed was large and was very comfy.

In this case you can't judge a book by its cover.

Room Tip: be aware of leaving anything of value in your cars.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stopped off here for two reasons, one was that we were on route to San Jose from Las Vegas the other was that we were heading to a gig in Bakersfield.

With the above said, we didn't spend much time in the room other than a few hours sleep.

The hotel looked clean which is always top of the list, the reception lady was very friendly and had us checked in quickly, there were plenty of parking spaces although it did take us a while to find the entrance (we may blame the long Vegas drive for that though).

The accommodation had an elevator which was very much appreciated considering the amount of shopping we'd managed to do the previous few days.

The room was a good size, there was a fridge and microwave in the room plus a sofa and double bed. The bed was comfy, bathroom was clean.

I'd have no trouble staying here again should I find myself in Bakersfield in the future :)

*The hotel also has a continental breakfast but we left before trying it so can't comment on quality other than that it does exist.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!