“scary parking lot surprisingly nice room” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #26 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
Austin
“scary parking lot surprisingly nice room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I would like to rate this property 'very good' except the parking lot is pretty scary. (single business woman traveling) I arrived late about 11pm after driving from the Burbank airport. I felt unsafe in the parking lot. The lot is accessible to anyone walking by. They do have security cameras but after meeting the front desk people I highly doubt anyone pays attention to the cameras.

I walked in the front office and was not acknowledged at all. I had to wait for about 3-5 mins while they counted money. That is a long time to wait after a long drive. I asked if I could use the ladies room before I checked in by was told it would take just as long to use the one by the pool as it would for me to get a key to my room. I had to ask where my room was and where to park. Again I felt vulnerable in the parking lot while unloading my car.

After my first impression of this motel I was weary of what my room was going to be like. I was SO surprised that it was very nice inside. I was actually shocked and my room exceeded my expectations.

The room was super clean, and pretty big. It had a separate counter with a coffee maker, microwave and even a little sink. The vanity was spacious and the bath was clean. The main room had a little couch (no stains) and coffee table. The desk had a new thick cushy office chair. It had a clean, quiet refrigerator. The bed was large and was very comfy.

In this case you can't judge a book by its cover.

Room Tip: be aware of leaving anything of value in your cars.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stopped off here for two reasons, one was that we were on route to San Jose from Las Vegas the other was that we were heading to a gig in Bakersfield.

With the above said, we didn't spend much time in the room other than a few hours sleep.

The hotel looked clean which is always top of the list, the reception lady was very friendly and had us checked in quickly, there were plenty of parking spaces although it did take us a while to find the entrance (we may blame the long Vegas drive for that though).

The accommodation had an elevator which was very much appreciated considering the amount of shopping we'd managed to do the previous few days.

The room was a good size, there was a fridge and microwave in the room plus a sofa and double bed. The bed was comfy, bathroom was clean.

I'd have no trouble staying here again should I find myself in Bakersfield in the future :)

*The hotel also has a continental breakfast but we left before trying it so can't comment on quality other than that it does exist.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stopped here for a night as part of a cross-country trip with a total of 7 college students. Arrived pretty late, receptionist was okay, check-in process was a bit different...

There was a garbage smell outside the hotel and right outside the inner hallways they've got cigarette dumps so of course right outside the door and halfway into the hallway there was a lingering smoke smell, the rooms, however, were fine. Hotel rooms were fine, especially for the price, the only thing lacking was a bigger breakfast but the money saved on the rooms was enough to make up for that.

Not sure if I would stay here again, it's a solid choice if you need something good and cheap but I think next time we'll opt for the next step up.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Running Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

My Husband and 3 kids stayed here for 1 night. My husband had played in a football game nearby and we didn't want to drive back home soon after so we stayed here for the night. The room was clean and spacious! The kids loved the breakfast options and loaded up on everything. It was very affordable and I was extremely pleased by our experience especially the cleanliness of the hotel and room. We will definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

This hotel is our stop over spot in Bakersfield twice each year. It has always been very satisfactory. On this visit, it got even better. We usually stay at Comfort Inns while on the road but although the Rodeway Inn is a budget hotel in the Choice Hotels offerings, this particular Rodeway is now on par or exceeds most Comfort Inns with the exception of the breakfast offerings. The hotel is being nicely upgraded and now, the rooms feel modern and fresh. The breakfast choices, while better than the last time we visited are still very basic. We always feel welcome and comfortable coming here. There are a variety of restaurants located close by.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Great room. Clean, spacious, & comfortable. Fridge & microwave. Good bed. Room was very hot when we came in - no air circulating at all. Took a while to cool down. Breakfast okay. No protein. Not a big selection but enough to get us going. Would definitely stay again. Great stopover.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Tenby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Our party consisted of my husband, daughter, grandson and me. We stayed here on our way to Yosemite NP. It is exactly what you would expect; clean, comfortable rooms with fridge and microwave. Breakfast was passable but I would have liked yogurt and waffles on the menu. Wifi was included and worked fine. I would stay again if passing by as it is good value for money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!