“Cockroaches” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 705 restaurants in Bakersfield
Cuisines: Mexican
“Cockroaches”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

It was my first time coming here like 2 weeks ago. I decided after 4 years of living here to finally go take a look. The place was packed the service was good compared to the volume of people in the place. I was seating in a booth facing the parking lot. While eating i look out the window and notice a COCKROACH in the window sill inside right next to my elbow. I decided not to make a big deal out of this and called the waiter. The owner did not want to come talk to us and sent over different people. As a business owner i took his denial as being guilty. I looked closer at the window sill and found another COCKROACH dead. WILL NEVER SET FOOT IN THERE AGAIN!!!

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
“Very Spicy Molcajetes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This meal is what they are famous for, if you like spicy food go ahead and try this. Not only is it spicy it is really really hot when served to you. My husband couldn't even eat it and ended up eating a bean burrito, our grand daughters meal. Son in law ate all of his and I picked at mine. Heat hot was just too much.

Visited December 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Amazing food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We were staying in town to visit the close by national parks and had no idea what to do for dinner. I turned to trip advisor for assistance. Los Molcajetes was ranked in the top 5 out of all the restaurants in Bakersfield, and the great review from the San Francisco foodies helped me make my decision.

I am really glad I went!

I got the Molcajete Verde (you have to get what the restaurant is named after!) It was a huge mortar bowl filled with chicken, beef, chorizo, nopal, an amazing spicy sauce. For the price ($15) it is a little pricy for the amount of meat you get, but for the amazing quality and flavor it ends up being well worth the price.

After dinner the server informed me that if I wanted I could create a custom Molcajete with whatever I want in it. Wish he told me earlier but ohwell.

The service was a little slow (they were packed, full house), but very friendly.
Unfortunately our table was right next to the busser's drop off station, where they put all the dirty dishes. It was a little awkward but once our food arrived we forgot all about it.

Parking is kind of a nightmare, I had to park in front of someone's house down the street. But its a pretty nice area so I felt comfortable walking down the dark street.

The food far makes up for the little negatives, I highly recommend coming here, although I would suggest making a reservation if they allow it because as we were leaving there was a line out the door. It was a Wednesday night too! Cant imagine what it's like on the weekends.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“"yummy "”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

food was excellent... lovely music while munching.. bring back memories... my friend and I were surprised to have come here.. staff smiles and happy to serve you.
good first timer experience.. thanks to friends who always kept on talking about this restaurant while we are at work.. So we did tried it yesterday.... good job.... folks..

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oakland, California
“Best food, most fun on 2 month road trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We both ordered one of the 6 dishes served in the molcajete (so much food it was a great breakfast the next day), while being serenaded by a fantastic mariachi band. When they weren't playing, we were serenaded by the enormous screen showing mariachi music elevated to the highest level of civilization as a band played in front of a full orchestra. Fabulous food and fun, so much so I'm sure that's where I'll go the next time I'm in Bakersfield -- if only the SF Bay Area had a place this great, I'd be there all the time!

• Visited November 2012