“Looks can be deceiving” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Quality Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Quality Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   4500 Buck Owens Blvd., Bakersfield, CA 93308 (Formerly Hotel California)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #35 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
Long Beach, California
“Looks can be deceiving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

My neices and I were traveling from Seattle by car to her home in Las Vegas, CA. We were on the second leg of our trip and needed a place to stay overnight. My husband found this place online and booked for us. The price was right and the reviews were okay.

It wasn't too far a drive off the freeway, but after passing a group of hotels near the main street down from freeway, you drive for a while on a dark street in an area of blue-collar businesses, which were closed at night of course, so no foot traffic. The hotel is off the main street behind a restaurant, which is where the hotel's breakfast buffet is located. You aren't allowed to take food to room or out, so you have to eat at the restaurant, which was empty, if you want breakfast. It was and okay breakast: eggs, sausage, bacon, waffles, toast, fruit, coffee, etc.

The hotel property looked clean and recently updated. The front parking lot/entrance could have been better lighted. The lobby area is very nice and I could see what looked like a nice pool area across the grassy area.

The room was decorated nicely in updated decor, but upon closer inspection, there weren't enough towels (the night guard later brought us some more), we found marijuana inside the plastic guest cups, the television wasn't working correctly and the heater was hard to figure out.

For the overnight stay, it was okay, because we left before 8am the next morning, but wouldn't recommend this property for a longer stay. The front desk staff, a young lady named Jordan, said that there was mostly construction workers staying there. That didn't make me feel very comfortable as a woman traveling with her nieces.

She was pleasant enought, however, she made a humongous SNAFU, which caused us a great deal of grief!!

I asked her for directions to get to the CA-58, which was the highway we needed to take from Bakersfield to get to Barstow, to continue our trip to Las Vegas. I assumed she would print the directions out for us like the other hotels did on our stay. Instead, she immediately said she could tell us and I asked her had she traveled that route before and she replied "Yes".

So I decided to take her word for it instead of a map printout, since she assured me she was familiar with that route!! We ended up on a single lane winding road in a rocky mountainous canyon area. I tried to find it on the map, but couldn't. After about an hour and a half, we went through a residential area and found a utility repairman who gave us the correct directions.

I finally located the small line on the map that was Hwy 178 or whatever that was and it ran parallel to CA-58, the Highway we needed, THEY NEVER MEET! We would have never arrived at our destination with her directions!! We were an hour an a half out of the way, my niece had an appointment in Las Vegas and had to cancell it. We had to go farther East to Hwy 14, then go South to connect to CA-58, which took us to Barstow and the connection to Hwy 15.

Why someone would intentionally give you the wrong directions is beyond me!! If you ever stop at this hotel, get printed directions, don't listen to Jordan at the front desk!!

The hotel was okay, but the front desk staff info was not helpful and almost ruined our trip!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Long Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We have stayed here twice before when going to the hot rod reunion and never had a big problem other than no amenities unless you book their "efficiency suite". (no microwave, fridge, ironing board, hair dryer). They are always short on towels, probably because on the weekends they have at least 4 tour buses full of foreign tourists booked. And don't even try to get to the complementary breakfast after 7am...nothing left even though they are supposed to serve until 9am.

That being said, this last trip was a nightmare!!! We booked an "efficiency suite" knowing that at least we would have the basics that we usually get at other places. Well, we checked in late on Thursday and didn't notice anything at first while we were bringing our stuff in (it wasn't very bright in the room), As I was unloading some of our stuff on the counter, I saw something crawl across it, then another. I called my boyfriend over when another came out, he said "that looks like a baby cockroach!!!" EWWWW! Then we started to look closer, there were dead bugs on the carpet and windowsills!!! It looked like they had fumigated and not cleaned up afterward! Since it was after midnight, we took all of our stuff back out to the truck and pretty much slept in our clothes sitting up on the bed. At least the bed checked out and the bathroom was clean, no dirt or bugs.

The next morning I complained to the management. They went in and cleaned up real good and did comp us the one night. I tried to find another place to stay, but everything was booked. We kept pretty much everything in the truck for the weekend just in case, and just brought stuff in when we needed it.

When I mentioned the problem to the management on the way out, all they said was "I am so sorry about that". Needless to say as the title of my review says I will NEVER stay here again!

Room Tip: If you do stay here, get a "suite" and make sure it's not on the first floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

The actual room really exceeded our expectations - very clean and good for value. The grounds were nice and area didn't seem as sketchy as some in Bakersfield can be. Two things were a bit off putting 1) the walls are paper thin so hope you get good neighbors & 2) front desk staff did seem a bit "dumb" for lack of better phrase - so I could see how some other reviewers had front desk issues. All in all not bad place to get some rest for a night.

• Stayed October 2013
Bradford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during a road trip around the USA, we were driving from Las Vegas to San Francisco and this was the perfect stop about half way. We weren't expecting much due tot he cheap price and some of the reviews but for one night it was adequate, the rooms were clean and they had free wifi! The hotel has free car parking.

We were tired on arrival after a few nights in Vegas and so we went and got a pizza and a couple of beers from nearby (we just seached the satnav/gps) and they were about 5 minutes drive, we ate the pizza in our room and had a good nights sleep.

There was breakfast including and this was in a different building, to our surprise it included a hot buffet with eggs, bacon and sausage. This was more than we were expecting and set up us for the mornings drive.

This is a good hotel for a nights stay.

Sheffield, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed at this venue during our recent trip down the west coast of the USA and were a little disappointed with this property.
It has great potential but needs a little TLC to bring it back to its former glory. There are limited facilities associated with the property i.e. a lovely pool area but very little shade, seating or the ability to purchase beverages.
The restaurant/bar (Replay) associated with the Hotel appears to be a "white elephant" with poor décor, no atmosphere, too many loud televisions and surprise surprise, no patrons. The anomaly is that the chef is a master and the food is excellent - it's just a shame he has so few to feed! A serious rethink is required to improve the venue.
Despite the negatives, the rooms a neat and clean and you do get value for money (without any frills!)

Mead, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The room was so far below the standard that my wife and I have come to trust from the Choice brand that we are seriously considering never booking another stay at a choice hotel! The front door of the room looked like it was involved in a drug bust, the seating at the table inside the room had two chairs with only one of them useable since the other one is stuck behind the night stand. The TV was aged to the point that we would have given it to Goodwill. The top on the toilet was notched out so you could get to the handle to flush it. The front desk staff stated that they're was a full complimentary breakfast at the restaurant next door in the morning, I asked if it was a good place for dinner, since my wife and I were tired from traveling all day..After taking our bags to the room we went next door to the "excellent restaurant", I opened the front door to the most awful stench of a dirty low class bar type joint I have ever encountered in my life! Upon opening the front door, the view is of a guy sitting at the bar and not another sole was in this smelly, dirty, dimly lite joint. To add insult to injury our car was vandalized overnight and it was parked in front of the hotel where there was plenty of light. This hotel and the "excellent Restaurant" next door should be taken out of the Choice brand!

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stay here on most trips to Bakersfield (about every 6 weeks) because it is central to my business meeting location. Nice central pool area surrounded by the rooms. The hotel is a bit strange in the layout on the second floor above the lobby but that is just my impression. The rooms have always been clean and I have never had any issues with service.

Two things to note. The location is not the safest (no place really is anymore) so I hide or remove any valuables from my vehicle and this hotel almost always has tour groups staying here from overseas. I like that because I find most of them friendly (they are on vacation so attitudes are good) and often they want information on where they are going which I share when I can.

Over all this has always been a decent, affordable place to stay.

Room Tip: "Pool view" rooms are slightly more expensive than the outer rooms but the amenities are i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!