“Avoid this dump” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Quality Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Quality Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   4500 Buck Owens Blvd., Bakersfield, CA 93308 (Formerly Hotel California)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #34 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
Mead, Colorado
“Avoid this dump”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The room was so far below the standard that my wife and I have come to trust from the Choice brand that we are seriously considering never booking another stay at a choice hotel! The front door of the room looked like it was involved in a drug bust, the seating at the table inside the room had two chairs with only one of them useable since the other one is stuck behind the night stand. The TV was aged to the point that we would have given it to Goodwill. The top on the toilet was notched out so you could get to the handle to flush it. The front desk staff stated that they're was a full complimentary breakfast at the restaurant next door in the morning, I asked if it was a good place for dinner, since my wife and I were tired from traveling all day..After taking our bags to the room we went next door to the "excellent restaurant", I opened the front door to the most awful stench of a dirty low class bar type joint I have ever encountered in my life! Upon opening the front door, the view is of a guy sitting at the bar and not another sole was in this smelly, dirty, dimly lite joint. To add insult to injury our car was vandalized overnight and it was parked in front of the hotel where there was plenty of light. This hotel and the "excellent Restaurant" next door should be taken out of the Choice brand!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stay here on most trips to Bakersfield (about every 6 weeks) because it is central to my business meeting location. Nice central pool area surrounded by the rooms. The hotel is a bit strange in the layout on the second floor above the lobby but that is just my impression. The rooms have always been clean and I have never had any issues with service.

Two things to note. The location is not the safest (no place really is anymore) so I hide or remove any valuables from my vehicle and this hotel almost always has tour groups staying here from overseas. I like that because I find most of them friendly (they are on vacation so attitudes are good) and often they want information on where they are going which I share when I can.

Over all this has always been a decent, affordable place to stay.

Room Tip: "Pool view" rooms are slightly more expensive than the outer rooms but the amenities are i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We recently stayed in this hotel twice. Once on the way to Las Vegas and the other on the way home in order to break up a long drive. We were very happy with our stays.

The rooms are not fancy but were clean, comfortable and had everything that we needed. It is in an industrial area so at night it was quiet an felt safe. We have no complaints other than a slightly loud AC unit but for about $50 a night that is acceptable.

The nice surprise though was the large breakfast buffet. All the scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, bagels, coffee that one would want. They made sure that they were well stocked until 9am when the buffet ends. The setting for breakfast is a bit odd-- an old nightclub but it was clean, comfortable and had plenty of space to spread out. We were very pleased with breakfast.

It was also nice that check out was at noon--that extra hour is nice for us who are not morning people.

The one other interesting thing is that there is French written on boards in the hotel and nightclub-- I guess French tourists come through often? Everyone speaks English but I assume that there is some French connection too. We did notice tour busses in the parking lot both times.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Kokkola, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We booked the hotel room by mobile application just couple hours before we arrived. The hotel was a tricky to find, we missed the right turn so we had to take a long drive to get back (ok, this was our gps's falt). The check in was ok and the staff was friendly and helpfull.

Room was good, it was clean and had a fridge and complimentary coffee maker in there. The complimentary wifi worked quite nicely in the room. The breakfast was served in restaurant in neighbor and it was good. Some cerials, yogurd, oatmeal, eggs...

The pool looked nice but we didnt take a closer look cause there was some kids swimming in there.

We stayed here in June for one night and travelled as two couples.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I could not even check into this hotel despite having a reservation and being a Choice Privileges member.

I had a reservation for the night of 5/25/13 and waited two hours ( no exaggeration) to try and check in to my reserved room followed by trying to cancel and receive a refund. And none of my issues were resolved by managers on site despite patiently waiting those two hours with a three year old.

When I finally reached the counter to check in, the woman at the front desk told me the hotel overbooked, did not have clean rooms for guests and did not have two queen beds, which I had a reservation for. She told me she would appreciate my cancellation so they could accommodate other guests and would get a manager to assist in refunding my room since it was after cancellation period. Two managers were on site and neither assisted me with a refund after waiting an additional hour.

I directly observed other guests in the lobby waiting 1-2 hrs to check-in during the 2 hours I waited for my issues to be resolved.

At 10pm at night, I drove to my final destination 2 hrs away because the hotel could not honor the reservation and could not process the refund.

I do not recommend. WORST hotel experience ever!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I had stayed at the Quality Inn in Winslow, AZ the previous night so I thought I would go ahead and stay at another on my trip out to the Cali coast, thinking I would get the same type of service and room. When I called, it was only $5 more for a suite so I went ahead and took it. I also asked for a quiet room and they assured me it was.

I entered the room and it smelled musty and rotten. The refrigerator was very tiny, even though it was in a place where a larger one could go, and it sounded like a very large one. The walls and the door were scuffed and the carpet had lots of spots on it. There also was not a remote in the living area. I couldn't control the air conditioning at all. I was also put next to a family with loud kids. I went back to the front desk to tell them of the issues. They just kind of stared blankly at me until I asked them if they were going to do something about it. They assured me they would take care of it while I was out for dinner.

When I came back about two hours later, they did bring a remote, which never worked, and said she was still looking for some air freshener. I was tired from a very long drive and told her to just forget it. I awoke at 12:30 a.m. with the kid in the next room wailing away like it was right next to me. The air had shut off on its own and I was burning up and had to put my head over the covers since the rotten smell was making me sick.

I was a housekeeping supervisor at a hotel myself. I went down the next morning and told them they needed to take that room offline and I couldn't believe they would put a guest in there with it smelling like that. Again, the front desk person just kind of stared at me. Strange.

I am just amazed at the disparate quality in the Quality Inns. You never know what you are going to get with them. At least with other chains, there is some semblance of consistency from one property to the next. I doubt that I will use Quality Inns again.

Room Tip: Stay away from Room 202. It stinks in more ways than one. You can also easily hear the room next t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Roseville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel is not terrible if you needed a quick overnight stop. We stayed 2 days though and I wished it was better. The pool was pretty dirty and the water was NOT clear at all! The grounds itself was not the cleanest but not horrible either. The exterior was definitely old and outdated - at least they could have updated it with some new paint. The room was actually not bad and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean and looked fairly updated. Nothing special, but at least the room felt clean. Breakfast was across the parking lot in the neighboring restaurant. It might have been a little more dirty because of the cheerleading competition that was in town and all of the kids that were there - but the staff did their best to keep it clean - at least on the second day. The quality of the food was pretty cheap - I would have rather went down the road to Denny's. Overall the hotel is not bad - but only if you're looking for a cheap place to stay overnight.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!