“Ok room for one night stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn & Suites

Save Saved
You added Quality Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Quality Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   4500 Buck Owens Blvd., Bakersfield, CA 93308 (Formerly Hotel California)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #35 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
Kokkola, Finland
“Ok room for one night stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We booked the hotel room by mobile application just couple hours before we arrived. The hotel was a tricky to find, we missed the right turn so we had to take a long drive to get back (ok, this was our gps's falt). The check in was ok and the staff was friendly and helpfull.

Room was good, it was clean and had a fridge and complimentary coffee maker in there. The complimentary wifi worked quite nicely in the room. The breakfast was served in restaurant in neighbor and it was good. Some cerials, yogurd, oatmeal, eggs...

The pool looked nice but we didnt take a closer look cause there was some kids swimming in there.

We stayed here in June for one night and travelled as two couples.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I could not even check into this hotel despite having a reservation and being a Choice Privileges member.

I had a reservation for the night of 5/25/13 and waited two hours ( no exaggeration) to try and check in to my reserved room followed by trying to cancel and receive a refund. And none of my issues were resolved by managers on site despite patiently waiting those two hours with a three year old.

When I finally reached the counter to check in, the woman at the front desk told me the hotel overbooked, did not have clean rooms for guests and did not have two queen beds, which I had a reservation for. She told me she would appreciate my cancellation so they could accommodate other guests and would get a manager to assist in refunding my room since it was after cancellation period. Two managers were on site and neither assisted me with a refund after waiting an additional hour.

I directly observed other guests in the lobby waiting 1-2 hrs to check-in during the 2 hours I waited for my issues to be resolved.

At 10pm at night, I drove to my final destination 2 hrs away because the hotel could not honor the reservation and could not process the refund.

I do not recommend. WORST hotel experience ever!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I had stayed at the Quality Inn in Winslow, AZ the previous night so I thought I would go ahead and stay at another on my trip out to the Cali coast, thinking I would get the same type of service and room. When I called, it was only $5 more for a suite so I went ahead and took it. I also asked for a quiet room and they assured me it was.

I entered the room and it smelled musty and rotten. The refrigerator was very tiny, even though it was in a place where a larger one could go, and it sounded like a very large one. The walls and the door were scuffed and the carpet had lots of spots on it. There also was not a remote in the living area. I couldn't control the air conditioning at all. I was also put next to a family with loud kids. I went back to the front desk to tell them of the issues. They just kind of stared blankly at me until I asked them if they were going to do something about it. They assured me they would take care of it while I was out for dinner.

When I came back about two hours later, they did bring a remote, which never worked, and said she was still looking for some air freshener. I was tired from a very long drive and told her to just forget it. I awoke at 12:30 a.m. with the kid in the next room wailing away like it was right next to me. The air had shut off on its own and I was burning up and had to put my head over the covers since the rotten smell was making me sick.

I was a housekeeping supervisor at a hotel myself. I went down the next morning and told them they needed to take that room offline and I couldn't believe they would put a guest in there with it smelling like that. Again, the front desk person just kind of stared at me. Strange.

I am just amazed at the disparate quality in the Quality Inns. You never know what you are going to get with them. At least with other chains, there is some semblance of consistency from one property to the next. I doubt that I will use Quality Inns again.

Room Tip: Stay away from Room 202. It stinks in more ways than one. You can also easily hear the room next t...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Roseville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This hotel is not terrible if you needed a quick overnight stop. We stayed 2 days though and I wished it was better. The pool was pretty dirty and the water was NOT clear at all! The grounds itself was not the cleanest but not horrible either. The exterior was definitely old and outdated - at least they could have updated it with some new paint. The room was actually not bad and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean and looked fairly updated. Nothing special, but at least the room felt clean. Breakfast was across the parking lot in the neighboring restaurant. It might have been a little more dirty because of the cheerleading competition that was in town and all of the kids that were there - but the staff did their best to keep it clean - at least on the second day. The quality of the food was pretty cheap - I would have rather went down the road to Denny's. Overall the hotel is not bad - but only if you're looking for a cheap place to stay overnight.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Prescott Valley, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

To get there is a bit screwy, The address is on Buck Owens, when it is actually on Rio Mirada. If you are on Buck Owens it is easily passed and then a royal pain to get back to.
However the Hotel employee was a bit aloof, he issued me 2 room key cards, they did not work, so I went back to the lobby and he issued me another set of card keys. they did not work either. Then he assigned me another room. The TV did not work properly, we complained and the maintance man came to fix it. It would work great for about 20 minutes and then we would have to wiggle and shake the conecting wires to get the picture back.
On a GOOD note, the money I paid was very reasonable for what we got. Comfy bed, Extreemly clean room, and a great nights sleep. There was a coffee maker with coffee and tea, and breakfast was accross the parking lot in what I guess used to be a night club. It was a good buffet breakfast that had pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, muffins, bagles, cold cereal, yougurt, coffee, tea, milk, apple & orange juice, Hot cocoa. Breakfast was hot and and selection was good. Real plates and cutlery were used, not paper and plastic. they had 4 TVs playing the same news channel, it was dimly lit due to being a club at one time, but again it was an excellent value. I would stay again. * they charge a $100.00 incidental fee on your credit card, You get it refunded back when you check out but the refund can take a few days from the bank, and longer if you use debit card. They have a sign posted in the Lobby about that.. So plan to be without 100.00 on your available credit until it cycles throught he bank and it is free again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Soldier, Ka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Just traveling through and we decided to stay here. Good price. Very comfortable bed! Breakfast was better than most, but at the restaurant across the street. The bathroom was a bit small and tight but the sink was outside which did help. So, a pretty good hotel for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

When we checked in, we were given a key. When we arrived at the room door, there was a do not disturb sign on the door. We called the office and a staff member came up, opened the door and found the room was still occupied. We were given another room. In the evening, after showering, the door opened by another guest. Obviously, another guest was given the key to our room. Around 9:00 PM, the power went out. We could not see anything for about 5 minutes. After the power came on, we had to reset the alarm clock which took a while to figure out. All-in-all, not a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!