“Thrown out on the street.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book now and save 15%
Ranked #11 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
Northern California
“Thrown out on the street.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

I had a confirmed reservation with this hotel, which was made far in advance. On the day of my stay, just prior to check-in time, I received a voicemail measage from the General Manager stating 'I am calling to notify you that your reservation has been canceled; we no longer have a reservation for you. We are over sold by 15 rooms and the owner wants 15 reservations canceled, so your was canceled'.
The message was apathetic. There was no sincere apology, no offer to put us up somewhere else nor any offering for the inconvenience created by their inept and unsatisfactory handling of their business.
This cancellation, at the last minute, on a busy, sold-out weekend in Bakersfield created hardship to my family as this reservation was made for my parents, who are senior citizens, and who traveled several hours for their get-away weekend.
What a stressful time! Thankfully, my parents were not out on the street as I was finally able to secure a room elsewhere, after several hours of calling around and waiting for potential cancellations at other hotels. Of course my new reservation was at more than double the early, advanced reservation rate I originally had, but I am very thankful my parents had a place. And, they were treated superbly by the hotel staff at the Holiday Inn Express on Hughes Lane!!

Someday maybe this apathetic staff will learn how to properly handle their business and their customers.

Stayed October 2013
guadalupe a, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Bakersfield/Hwy 58, CA, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
I’m sorry we were unable to accommodate you during your recent visit to our hotel. We strive to accommodate 100% of our guests but overbooking situations can happen. Please accept our apology for the unfortunate circumstances. I hope the next time you are in the area you will give us a chance to provide accommodations for you This is absolutely not the service we strive to provide here at the Hampton inn & suites Please accept our sincere apologies.

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Concord, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

This Hampton is generally consistent and true to the brand. I stayed here for one night using Hilton Honors points. I had a top floor King Studio Suite on the west side nearest the freeway. A couple of things I didn't like - towels were fewer than usual, hot water took a long time to get when running the faucet, and the smart a/c shut off when I was out resulting in a very warm room when I returned. Nevertheless, the room was clean, spacious, and in good condition. The bed was very comfortable, though perhaps a little on the soft side for my taste. The TV was proportionately too small for the room and the channel selection was very average. The internet was unacceptably slow, I mean AOL dial-up slow. Hilton needs to pay attention to this, ditch AT&T, and do better than speeds 1/50th of what I get at home. I had no chance of streaming anything from Hulu or Netflix. Basic e-mail is about all the internet connection was good for. Freeway noise was pronounced, especially during morning rush hour. Train horns and track noise could be heard all night. Light sleepers will need a little white noise or earplugs. There is no shopping or dining right nearby except a Dennys. The plus for this hotel is that it is a good value with easy freeway access on the east side of Bakersfield.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Roseville, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

3 days after my vacation ended and I am STILL flabbergasted at how i was treated at this hotel. I booked a room months in advance at a special rate and on the day of check in at check in time (3pm) I was called and told i had no reservation, the hotel was oversold and the owner said "cancel 15 reservations", so mine was cancelled. I was told by the front desk that "I had no reservation at their hotel at this time". I was never asked if i wanted to pay full rate, was not offered a "walk", not even offered to be relocated at HILTONS expense to another hotel...just KICKED TO THE CURB. Hilton works really hard to maintain an exceptional rapport with their clientele and other "special" guests which is why this is such a disappointment. I guess the word "guaranteed" in the statement "Your room is guaranteed" is a complete lie. This hotel owner and his employees should be utterly ashamed of themselves for the way they handled this situation. Thank God the Holiday Inn Express was there to assist me with finding another room otherwise My wife and I would have been on the street for the weekend.

Room Tip: Be aware, what looks good on the outside, does not necessarily reflect what it is like on the inside...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sun City West, Az
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had already booked a room and been charged for two rooms; Easytobook credited me for the extra room but re-booked for the wrong date. When I arrived, I found I had been charged as a no-show several days earlier. The clerk offered a room at a higher rate which I declined. No more easytobook.com unless I'm credited for its error.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

guadalupe a, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Bakersfield/Hwy 58, CA, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing this quick feedback on your recent experience with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and apologize for any confusion or frustration experienced with the original bookings. We do our best to flawlessly align our reservations systems with online outlets but occasionally there are mistakes. We will keep your experience in mind as we constantly look for new ways to improve our complete guest experience and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction. If we may be of any additional assistance please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly.

6613219424
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The room was pretty nice, but the check-in staff was rude and the bathroom reeked of mildew. Asked to speak to management about the smell and was told no manager on site. The breakfast was really thin and not replaced very often. The sausage tray was empty for half an hour, and the fresh fruit was never refilled while I was there so all you could get was the "you-make-it" waffle or some stale pastries and yogurt. Expected more from a Hampton Inn. Usually have good experiences at them on my stays on the east coast. Maybe Hamptons are only bad in California?

Room Tip: Don't expect much more than coffee and a Danish and you'll be okay with the "breakfast...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
On behalf of Hampton inn &suites, please accept my apology for your unpleasant stay at our hotel
We strive to ensure our patrons experience the best visits possible during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. please be assured all complaints will be addressed we take every complaint seriously,

We hope you will see the improvement and enjoy your time with us in your next visit. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments concerning your stay. Thank you.

Irvine, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Very nice hotel with great amenities. It was like an oasis in the desert! The Fitness center had a great choice of equipment to round out a workout. Super clean an nice room. Complementary breakfast was was great (Eggs a little dry). Staff was great!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Ricardo P, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Bakersfield/Hwy 58, CA, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank You so much for all your kind words on our Hotel and staff. It is our goal to satisfy each guest to best of our ability. So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us in Bakersfield. We love having you here and hope to see you again in the future.
Sandie Carwtright
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I were on our way to the Sequoia National Park and we wanted to stop for the evening. We booked on line, and drove to the hotel. The check in was quick , the staff was very nice, and the Lobby, Elevator, hallways and our room sparkled. We wanted supper and all we had to do is to go out the door and walk a few yards to Denny's. We walked back to the hotel and settled in for a peaceful nights rest. The next morning we had a nice hot breakfast, checked out and the staff told us to take a complimentary breakfast bag for a snack during our travels. This hotel is a gem in Bakersfield CA.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your great response to your stay here with us. We are glad you enjoed your stay and hope to see you again.
sandie Cartwright

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Bakersfield/Hwy 58, CA? Share your experiences!