“Best hotel in Bakersfield” 5 of 5 stars

Padre Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1702 18th Street, Bakersfield, CA 93301   |
Ranked #1 of 59 Hotels in Bakersfield
Bakersfield, California
“Best hotel in Bakersfield”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

I don't leave reviews very often, not really my thing, but my recent stay with the Padre Hotel compelled me to do so. From the friendly staff who checked me in, to the great food and atmosphere of the bar, to the eventual slumber in one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in, my stay was excellent.

As a Bakersfield native, I know how desperately this city needed a venue like the Padre. I have been frequenting the hotel for a few years now, and I can't say enough good about the place. If my friends and I want to go out, the Padre is almost always the go-to choice. It really is hard to compare the Padre to any other hotel/bar in town - they are just on another level.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Thank you for the review, Robert! The Padre Team enjoys hearing from our guests. We hope you can visit again and enjoy all of our fun specials this summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

This hotel is really nice. The exterior and lobby deliver a very contemporary feel and the decor in my room was nice as well. Overall my stay at the Padre was a good one, there were a few caveats that were a little annoying but bearable. So this is my pros and cons list:

Pros:
- courteous and friendly staff. I scheduled a wake up call at 5:30 am but had woken up a little before then and was in the shower. When I failed to pick up the phone the front desk clerk actually came up to my room and knocked on my door...what service!
- nice decor, clean and comfortable. Beds and pillows are super soft and plush (this might be a con for some who like a firmer bed).

Cons:
- the temperature in my room never got cold. Even though it said 69, it definitely felt like 78.
- the gym in the basement is a joke. It's about as small as my room and was hot as an oven when I tried working out. Called it quits after 20 min.
- parking at this hotel is non-existent so be prepared to pay the $10 a day for valet service. There is street level parking around the hotel but they tow between 2am - 4am.

I might try out the food and have some drinks tonight so I'll keep you updated on what comes out of that.

Bakersfield maybe the armpit of California but staying at the Padre definitely makes it a little more bearable.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Hello Truong N, thank you for the helpful review. Your feedback regarding the room temperature and the fitness center will be addressed immediately. We appreciate the opportunity for improvement and are happy to hear the rest of your visit went well!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised to find a 4 star hotel in Bakersfield when we were visiting for a wedding! This hotel exceeded expectations! From it's spectacular decor and comfort, to it's amazing service! We also loved that prices were not outrageous and everywhere you went you felt the value- whether that be in the value of the rooms themselves or the room service and dining options! The only items that were a bit on the higher end could be found at the bar. But room service certainly made up for that fact. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who is willing to shell out just a bit more than the marriot that is also local with the intention of enjoying a high class luxurious stay! I'd also highly recommend it to any couples celebrating their wedding in Bakersfield as the suites are awesome! And there are some great photo ops to be had there! Any couples really will get a kick out of the massive bathrooms and huge and extremely comfortable beds. When checking in I highly recommend that you request a floor that is higher up as the night club is very noisy on the weekend.

Room Tip: At check in request a room higher up to avoid the noise from the weekend night club. Also see if any...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Hi Christina! Thank you for the review and the awesome photos! We are so glad you enjoyed your visit to the Padre. We hope you can come back soon!
Imperial Valley CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is my third trip to the Padre and I really enjoy this hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful, the food is good, the atmosphere is fun and retro chic. The food is moderately priced for a hotel. We enjoyed the outside bar, had a great breakfast in the cafe downstairs and a wonderful dinner in the dining room. It can get a little noisy on Friday and Saturday night as the club off the lobby is very popular, but the staff has always been accommodating about requests for room placement.

Room Tip: Friday & Saturday nights specify a room away from the front entrance. Rest of the week is quie...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hi Mtndst, thank you for the review! We always strive to provide the best experience for each guest. We hope you can visit us again soon!
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was our third experience at the Padre Hotel and we enjoyed ourselves once again. From the friendly management and staff to the beautiful décor, comfortable room, nice in-house restaurants and convenient coffee bar, we felt at ease and at home. Since the in-room coffee pods were on back order, complimentary coffee was delivered via room service. And, we also received complimentary breakfast when we reported to management that we had forgotten to present a 20% off coupon for dinner at The Belvedere, the in-house fine dining restaurant. The maid service was inconsistent with towel and soap replacement, but readily fixed when reported. The management and staff were very accommodating and we will be returning in the future.

Room Tip: If you plan to turn in early, ask for a room that doesn't face the outdoor patio lounge area tha...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hello PK1California, Thank you for the review and the feedback! If you are in the area again, please let me know. I would love to set up your next reservation. 661-427-4900

- Jennifer Johnson
Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

You wouldn't expect to find such a gem in downtown Bakersfield, which is hardly a resort destination. Old hotel but beautifully redone. Very tasteful. I was in the Head Honcho room on the third floor. Maybe a little pricey for Bakersfield but a real value in the rest of the World. Terrific bathroom with Jacuzzi and spacious shower. Staff couldn't have been more helpful, A little noisy on Saturday night, late. Very active bar and nightclub scene...you wouldn't expect to find that in Bakersfield, either. Otherwise, perfect.

Room Tip: Head Honcho room on the third floor (304) was huge. Higher floors probably cant hear the nightclub n...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hi Executive33, thank you for the review! We hope you can visit us again soon!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

First off….sorry so long. Stayed a week (Monday to Friday) …..and I have a lot to say.
This is an 80+ year old hotel that has all the elements to be great, but simply falls short on too many issues that should be automatics in the hotel industry. The hotel was easy to find, and easy to get to in downtown Bakersfield. The building itself is beautiful. They have done an exceptional job renovating, decorating and updating with the latest technology. And although we did not use the restaurant, or lounge, they were always lively and buzzing with business. Also, the attitude of the staff was amazing; they did try hard to please and were very friendly and helpful.
The Wi-Fi was very good. Connection was strong and no drops. TV reception was very good on the large HD TV with plenty of channels to choose from…including ESPN and Showtime. There is also a decent exercise facility in the basement.
Room comfort – I really struggled with this. I had a standard king bed room that was very small and cramped. The bed to me was not great. It seemed to be a Tempur-Pedic knock-off. When I first laid down for the night it was comfortable, but during the night I was constantly woken due to being uncomfortable (tossing and turning all week), and the sheets are not fitted, they are just flat sheets that are tucked….after tossing and turning during the night I was lying in a tangled mess by morning, every morning. Also, my room only had a bed and a rather un-comfortable desk chair. There was no-where to comfortably sit and watch TV for a while before bed. After a long day at work, returning to this room was no fun.
Coffee service in the room - They have these great little 2 cup coffee makers…..but NO COFFEE (only decaffeinated). Seems they ran out and the coffee was on back-order. You have got to be kidding.
So…after complaining, they offered me vouchers for free coffee room service. This was awesome except……room service is a gamble!! On the first day room service delivered the coffee to my room without a spoon, stir stick or anything to stir with. I actually used a pencil from my briefcase to stir my morning coffee. Shouldn’t a spoon be an automatic? On the second day room service DIDN’T SHOW UP AT All!! I finally called and they said so sorry we will be right up……30 minutes later they showed up, as I was about to walk out the door. On the 3rd day I went through one of the managers, got a comp breakfast with my coffee…but I asked for a 7am service and it showed up at 6:30. Was still asleep so didn’t eat the comp breakfast since it was so early.
Lighting in the bathroom……yes there are 3 switches for the lights, but all you get are dim lights that are nothing more than a glow. This wasn’t that big of a deal to me, but for someone that needs abundant light in the bathroom….you will be in trouble.
Maid service for my room on the 8th floor was hit-or-miss. Some days exceptional, a couple days not so much.
Valet parking – since there is no convenient parking in the area, valet parking was the only option….at $10 per day. Although this worked well at times, their drop off area is very small, and on more than one occasion, I was literally parked in the street when dropping off. And pre-arranging for your car to be ready simply did not work…..your only option for pick-up was to just show up and wait…..or remember to call the front desk at about 15 minutes before…This worked if they remembered to inform valet.
On 2 occasions I had to go back to the front desk from my 8th floor room to have my key re-programmed for entry to my room. The lady at the front desk said I needed to keep it away from cell phones….wait, what?
As I waited one morning for coffee at the Farmacy Café (due to the no-show room service), I saw 2 very busy roaches running up and down the wall until they disappeared into a crack near the baseboard. This was in the restaurant area. I told the clerk, she didn’t seem to be interested. These were the only 2 roaches I saw all week.
There is no pool at this hotel, and no complimentary breakfast or water (or coffee during the crisis). You need water…$3.
If you are looking for a cool, hip hotel with a buzzing lobby, cool décor, a lot of history and a very friendly staff that frequently says “So Sorry, we can comp that for you”, this hotel is for you. Personally, as a frequent business traveler, I put more value on comfort and the simple little automatics.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hi Terry C, thank you for the feedback and I'm very sorry we fell short in those areas. I have addressed these items with our team for immediate improvement. These issues are not what we consider as the Padre Standard, so I would love to speak with you personally and invite you for another visit. Please give me a call, I look forward to hearing from you. 661-427-4900

- Jennifer Johnson

Been to Padre Hotel? Share your experiences!