“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Imperial Valley CA
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is my third trip to the Padre and I really enjoy this hotel. The staff is friendly and helpful, the food is good, the atmosphere is fun and retro chic. The food is moderately priced for a hotel. We enjoyed the outside bar, had a great breakfast in the cafe downstairs and a wonderful dinner in the dining room. It can get a little noisy on Friday and Saturday night as the club off the lobby is very popular, but the staff has always been accommodating about requests for room placement.

Room Tip: Friday & Saturday nights specify a room away from the front entrance. Rest of the week is quie...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hi Mtndst, thank you for the review! We always strive to provide the best experience for each guest. We hope you can visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was our third experience at the Padre Hotel and we enjoyed ourselves once again. From the friendly management and staff to the beautiful décor, comfortable room, nice in-house restaurants and convenient coffee bar, we felt at ease and at home. Since the in-room coffee pods were on back order, complimentary coffee was delivered via room service. And, we also received complimentary breakfast when we reported to management that we had forgotten to present a 20% off coupon for dinner at The Belvedere, the in-house fine dining restaurant. The maid service was inconsistent with towel and soap replacement, but readily fixed when reported. The management and staff were very accommodating and we will be returning in the future.

Room Tip: If you plan to turn in early, ask for a room that doesn't face the outdoor patio lounge area tha...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hello PK1California, Thank you for the review and the feedback! If you are in the area again, please let me know. I would love to set up your next reservation. 661-427-4900

Fresno, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

You wouldn't expect to find such a gem in downtown Bakersfield, which is hardly a resort destination. Old hotel but beautifully redone. Very tasteful. I was in the Head Honcho room on the third floor. Maybe a little pricey for Bakersfield but a real value in the rest of the World. Terrific bathroom with Jacuzzi and spacious shower. Staff couldn't have been more helpful, A little noisy on Saturday night, late. Very active bar and nightclub scene...you wouldn't expect to find that in Bakersfield, either. Otherwise, perfect.

Room Tip: Head Honcho room on the third floor (304) was huge. Higher floors probably cant hear the nightclub n...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hi Executive33, thank you for the review! We hope you can visit us again soon!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

First off….sorry so long. Stayed a week (Monday to Friday) …..and I have a lot to say.
This is an 80+ year old hotel that has all the elements to be great, but simply falls short on too many issues that should be automatics in the hotel industry. The hotel was easy to find, and easy to get to in downtown Bakersfield. The building itself is beautiful. They have done an exceptional job renovating, decorating and updating with the latest technology. And although we did not use the restaurant, or lounge, they were always lively and buzzing with business. Also, the attitude of the staff was amazing; they did try hard to please and were very friendly and helpful.
The Wi-Fi was very good. Connection was strong and no drops. TV reception was very good on the large HD TV with plenty of channels to choose from…including ESPN and Showtime. There is also a decent exercise facility in the basement.
Room comfort – I really struggled with this. I had a standard king bed room that was very small and cramped. The bed to me was not great. It seemed to be a Tempur-Pedic knock-off. When I first laid down for the night it was comfortable, but during the night I was constantly woken due to being uncomfortable (tossing and turning all week), and the sheets are not fitted, they are just flat sheets that are tucked….after tossing and turning during the night I was lying in a tangled mess by morning, every morning. Also, my room only had a bed and a rather un-comfortable desk chair. There was no-where to comfortably sit and watch TV for a while before bed. After a long day at work, returning to this room was no fun.
Coffee service in the room - They have these great little 2 cup coffee makers…..but NO COFFEE (only decaffeinated). Seems they ran out and the coffee was on back-order. You have got to be kidding.
So…after complaining, they offered me vouchers for free coffee room service. This was awesome except……room service is a gamble!! On the first day room service delivered the coffee to my room without a spoon, stir stick or anything to stir with. I actually used a pencil from my briefcase to stir my morning coffee. Shouldn’t a spoon be an automatic? On the second day room service DIDN’T SHOW UP AT All!! I finally called and they said so sorry we will be right up……30 minutes later they showed up, as I was about to walk out the door. On the 3rd day I went through one of the managers, got a comp breakfast with my coffee…but I asked for a 7am service and it showed up at 6:30. Was still asleep so didn’t eat the comp breakfast since it was so early.
Lighting in the bathroom……yes there are 3 switches for the lights, but all you get are dim lights that are nothing more than a glow. This wasn’t that big of a deal to me, but for someone that needs abundant light in the bathroom….you will be in trouble.
Maid service for my room on the 8th floor was hit-or-miss. Some days exceptional, a couple days not so much.
Valet parking – since there is no convenient parking in the area, valet parking was the only option….at $10 per day. Although this worked well at times, their drop off area is very small, and on more than one occasion, I was literally parked in the street when dropping off. And pre-arranging for your car to be ready simply did not work…..your only option for pick-up was to just show up and wait…..or remember to call the front desk at about 15 minutes before…This worked if they remembered to inform valet.
On 2 occasions I had to go back to the front desk from my 8th floor room to have my key re-programmed for entry to my room. The lady at the front desk said I needed to keep it away from cell phones….wait, what?
As I waited one morning for coffee at the Farmacy Café (due to the no-show room service), I saw 2 very busy roaches running up and down the wall until they disappeared into a crack near the baseboard. This was in the restaurant area. I told the clerk, she didn’t seem to be interested. These were the only 2 roaches I saw all week.
There is no pool at this hotel, and no complimentary breakfast or water (or coffee during the crisis). You need water…$3.
If you are looking for a cool, hip hotel with a buzzing lobby, cool décor, a lot of history and a very friendly staff that frequently says “So Sorry, we can comp that for you”, this hotel is for you. Personally, as a frequent business traveler, I put more value on comfort and the simple little automatics.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hi Terry C, thank you for the feedback and I'm very sorry we fell short in those areas. I have addressed these items with our team for immediate improvement. These issues are not what we consider as the Padre Standard, so I would love to speak with you personally and invite you for another visit. Please give me a call, I look forward to hearing from you. 661-427-4900

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed here overnight on our 10th anniversary. My husband is working in Bakersfield for the summer and doesn't have any vacation time until his project is done, so we had to stick close to home. Anyways, I like the unique touches throughout the hotel. The staff was all really nice, and we received a free room upgrade. There was a bit of a cleanliness problem which was quickly remedied when brought to their attention. I really like the outdoor terrace restaurant, though the two times we have been the volume of the music has been a couple notches too loud for any sort of comfortable conversation. We will probably return though, as I love eating outside on a warm summer night.

Stayed July 2014
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hi Swb04, thank you for the review and helpful feedback! I would love to have you back to give you the true 5 star experience that the Padre Hotel takes pride in. I would love to speak with you and learn more about the issues you mentioned. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and look forward to hearing from you! 661-427-4900

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Considering this is Bakersfield the hotel is actually quite nice - downtown Bakersfield is not necessarily the most happening place...the rooms are nice and clean - I had a shower with a nice touch - definitely OK - it was my second time here, prices had gone up

Stayed July 2014
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Hello Horstim, thank you for the review! We love being a part of the downtown Bakersfield revitalization and enjoy seeing all of the exciting changes happening in the area. We hope you can visit us again soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Stayed here for my husband's 50th birthday. His mother lives in Bakersfield so we thought it would be nice to go down and see her, plus carry out a few other special plans we made for ourselves that weekend. We made the long drive in his best friend's corvette, more on that later.

The hotel was easy to find. Check in was a breeze. The lobby was nicely decorated & welcoming. While my husband checked in I went to the lobby & ordered a couple of drinks. Was waited on promptly & the drinks were yummy. We took them to our room to get settled in before heading to his mother's house.

The room was nice. A corner room with lots of light. 2 complaints I have: the bed was way to soft and there was no light in the bathroom. Let me assure you there were FOUR light switches in the bathroom, but all were super dim. The brightest light was over the toilet...who wants that at 2am?!? They had a light up make up mirror but ours didn't work. So I sat on the bed to put on my make up....having all those windows helped.

When we first arrived my husband parked the car on the street because we knew we'd be leaving soon. When we returned that evening we decided on valet parking as the safest option. Before handing over the keys my husband asked the young man if he knew how to drive this car...he should have asked if he could park it! Apparently there is a strange thing with the corvette that you have to park it leaving it in reverse. The next morning the car was dead! No one could do anything to help, not even AAA cuz the owner wasn't with us. So we were stuck for about 5 hours as our friend left work, drove home to Hollister to get some special manual key, and drive to Bakersfield. UUUGGGHHH

I will say they manager put us up in a room and we got free room service (YUCK) and a couple drinks from the bar. But a super horrible way to end what was supposed to be a special 50th birthday

Room Tip: corner room has best room and super daytime lighting
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Hello, I'm so sorry to hear your special trip was affected by the dead battery with the Corvette. I am certain that if the valet team had been made aware the vehicle needed to be parked while in reverse, they would have taken special care to do so. I am happy to hear that Michael was able to set you up in a room with room service while you waited. I hope that you have a chance to stay with us again!

Been to Padre Hotel? Share your experiences!