“Unique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
Bakersfield, CA
“Unique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband arranged a suite for my birthday, what a surprise! This is the most unique hotel I have stayed in. Who would have thought I was still in Bakersfield? Top notch!

The setup was very urban chic, cool lamps, great design, well decorated. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in! EVER! Loved it.

The bathroom, although a tad dark for applying makeup, was unique, and showed definite attention to its design. The gray and black colors with the turquoise soap as a pop, impressive. Separate shower and tub, with the tub filling from the ceiling, cool and different.

I can't speak to services, we didn't use any. But the room rocked! It's worth staying even if you live in Bakersfield.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Sounds like a great staycation! Our rooms are the best Bakersfield has to offer. Thank you for choosing the Padre as the place for your birthday celebration. We hope you can come back soon!

469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
El Dorado Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Staying here on business for a week. Spacious rooms, awesome service, comfortable atmosphere. The food in the bar is great and the drinks are reasonably priced. Super clean and looking good, makes me want to detour next time I'm headed to LA.

Room Tip: nice city view, the corner rooms are spacious. Room 619..
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Hey, if you want to take a detour next time we will be happy to have you! Thanks for the review, hope to see you soon!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were on our way to Yosemite from Las Vegas and needed a place to break up the journey. Glancing at the map, Bakersfield looked like an interesting place, and a quick browse on Tripadvisor pointed us towards the Padre.

Check in was an absolute breeze, and our hire car was taken by the concierge. After freshening up in our room we went downstairs to the bar to get something to eat. The food was excellent and even better, it was half price cocktails all night. After at sampling the whole cocktail menu it was time to make use of the very comfy beds.

I found the Padre to be an excellent hotel, the staff were excellent and the rooms were of a very high standard indeed. Should we ever be back in the Bakersfield area, we'll be staying at the Padre!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for the review. The team takes great pride in all the Padre has to offer, and it sounds like you had a blast! We hope you can come visit us again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Love this place. Great people. Great rooms. Great design. Historical. This room would be over a grand a night in NYC.

Their breakfasts are great, and they have excellent coffee. Wonderful linens, and comfy beds. The showers are to die for.

Interestingly, I have never "partied" there - we are usually there passing thru for work so good nights rest is important. Never heard a party going on, unless you are in the lobby.

Stop here every time on our way to Los Angeles. Can't recommend it enough.

Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
We do have a lot of fun here at the Padre, and it's great that you enjoyed it as well! Thank you for the review!
va beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

First consider why you are staying in this hotel. If you go to be seen and have a party time- this is the place, if this is just a stopping point on your way somewhere else, probably not for you. Beautiful hotel, great staff -very Kimpton style boutique hotel. The rooms are very roomy for the age of the hotel and decor is very cool. We stayed one night on a saturday as we were traveling and the bar and restaurant was standing room only, we weren't looking for a party and decided to walk around downtown to find another restaurant- big mistake. There is nothing open on a saturday evening after 5pm. its a downtown area full of tattoo joints and adult stores - only two food choices both again packed. Ended up eating take out in the room. We were told there was a wedding reception that added to the crowd, but also to the noise at 3am. People were loud and drunk in the hall yelling to the point we had to call security- who was very prompt to the situation and quieted everyone down. No knock on the hotel- it is what it is, a party hotel, just know that when you book your stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. It sounds like you visited on a very lively weekend. I'm glad the staff responded promptly to your concerns. We hope you can come visit us again soon and experience more of what the Padre has to offer!
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

When we entered the Padre Hotel for a 2 night stay, I just knew I would be giving it a 5 star review. I loved the trendy, boutique look that was miles away from the cookie cutter chain hotels. Now I wish we had stayed in one of those hotels.

Upon checking in, I requested a room with 2 double beds, since I was traveling with my 2 kids. The room we entered had a single king bed. We went back downstairs, again requested the 2 doubles but this time we were told that wasn't possible because they were all taken. In exchange we were given a larger room and promised a rollaway bed.

We got the rollaway bed at 10 p.m. after 2 late night phone calls. At the same time, we also requested 2 large towels, since the bathroom only contained 2. Incredibly, the housekeeper told us that all the towels were in the laundry.

Speaking of towels, the next day I again requested a couple of extra bath towels, this time directly at the front desk. When a housekeeper arrived, she had the 2 bath towels but apologized that she hadn't been able to include any hand towels, BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL IN THE LAUNDRY!!!

THIS HOTEL DOES NOT OWN ENOUGH TOWELS!

Even though the room was large, attractive, and the bed very comfortable, there were additional details that were just ... off.

For example, the amenities were nearly all different brands. They included Pantene shampoo, a Lather shower gel, and H2O conditioner and lotion. It was like someone bought a lot of one amenity or another on eBay. "Hey! We scored 135 bottles of Pantene shampoo this time!" Very strange.

On our second day, I came back to the room mid-afternoon and noticed that it hadn't been made up. No problem. I put the "Please service this room" sign on the doorknob and left. We returned about 4 hours later and the maid still hadn't paid a visit.

When I mentioned this upon checking out, the young man at the front desk gave me a garbled explanation about how not all the maids were up to date with a new housecleaning policy and he apologized.

SO NOT CLEANING A ROOM IS THE NEW POLICY??

So bizarre.

One redeeming factor was the delicious food at the bar. Everything we ordered was outstanding. Service was so-so, but we were never in a hurry so if our glasses needed refilling for 10 minutes or so, it wasn't that big of a deal to us.

I really wanted and expected to give it the best possible rating, but there were just too many things that went wrong, and together they add up to bad management, bad training, or both. There WERE a couple of special events going on that same weekend, but these are scheduled weeks, if not months in advance, giving the hotel time to plan for adequate staffing and supplies.

For the most part I never got the feeling that the employees didn't care. On the contrary. A couple of them expressed pride in the Padre Hotel and its renovation, so I'm not sure where the weak link is, but trendy decor isn't enough to bring me back.

The

Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for the review. Changes have been made and you'll find on your next stay, aside from delicious food and fun restaurants, the hotel rooms are also a wonderful experience with more consistent service and product. We hope you can visit us again soon!
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is one of the few hotels ever that I was sad to leave. To think, that a hotel in Bakersfield embodies the excellence of design and function one would find in a boutique hotel in New York. It reminded me design-wise and service-wise me of several of the Kimpton's hotels, only at a fraction of the price.

The design of the room was smart, gracious, and comfortable -- clean lines and fabrics in a variety of blacks, greys and whites and patterns using this palette from floor to ceiling. The hotel itself is an art deco masterpiece with lobbies and restaurants retaining the old with elements of the new. Even the photos on their site don't do it justice.

My room had a 12 foot ceiling with floor to ceiling drapes; large flat screen TV, a bathroom the size of my bedroom at home with smart fixtures, a large step in shower with patterned black tiles on the sides and plain small tiles on the floor with rain shower showerhead and a seat built in a super comfortable bed (I believe memory foam with extra padding on top); a large comfortable chair with accompanying ottoman. Toiletries provided were top notch.

The wi-fi was fast and flawless.

The staff was cheerful, accommodating, and it was clear when chatting with them that they had a great deal of pride about the hotel.When I asked if I could place the cooling packs from my cooler in their freezer, they volunteered that they could provide me gratis with a small refrigerator.

I was glad that rather than choosing one of the usual chain motels in Bakersfield (where I needed to stay over on the way back from a road trip), I stayed at the Padre.

There was a 10 dollar charge for valet parking, but well worth it. The car was retrieved quickly when needed.

The only negative for me was that most restaurants in that downtown areas were closed on the Sunday I was there, but with the use of Yelp and a five to ten minute drive, I found what I wanted. It's not the hotel's restaurants were unappealing -- quite the opposite -- but I was looking for something else.

If I do another road trip to Las Vegas or other points in the Southwest, this will definitely be one of my stopping places along the way.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for the review. All of the details you mentioned are things the team works very hard at
and we appreciate recognition. We hope you get to visit us again soon!

Been to Padre Hotel? Share your experiences!