“Party Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
va beach
“Party Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

First consider why you are staying in this hotel. If you go to be seen and have a party time- this is the place, if this is just a stopping point on your way somewhere else, probably not for you. Beautiful hotel, great staff -very Kimpton style boutique hotel. The rooms are very roomy for the age of the hotel and decor is very cool. We stayed one night on a saturday as we were traveling and the bar and restaurant was standing room only, we weren't looking for a party and decided to walk around downtown to find another restaurant- big mistake. There is nothing open on a saturday evening after 5pm. its a downtown area full of tattoo joints and adult stores - only two food choices both again packed. Ended up eating take out in the room. We were told there was a wedding reception that added to the crowd, but also to the noise at 3am. People were loud and drunk in the hall yelling to the point we had to call security- who was very prompt to the situation and quieted everyone down. No knock on the hotel- it is what it is, a party hotel, just know that when you book your stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for your review. It sounds like you visited on a very lively weekend. I'm glad the staff responded promptly to your concerns. We hope you can come visit us again soon and experience more of what the Padre has to offer!

452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

When we entered the Padre Hotel for a 2 night stay, I just knew I would be giving it a 5 star review. I loved the trendy, boutique look that was miles away from the cookie cutter chain hotels. Now I wish we had stayed in one of those hotels.

Upon checking in, I requested a room with 2 double beds, since I was traveling with my 2 kids. The room we entered had a single king bed. We went back downstairs, again requested the 2 doubles but this time we were told that wasn't possible because they were all taken. In exchange we were given a larger room and promised a rollaway bed.

We got the rollaway bed at 10 p.m. after 2 late night phone calls. At the same time, we also requested 2 large towels, since the bathroom only contained 2. Incredibly, the housekeeper told us that all the towels were in the laundry.

Speaking of towels, the next day I again requested a couple of extra bath towels, this time directly at the front desk. When a housekeeper arrived, she had the 2 bath towels but apologized that she hadn't been able to include any hand towels, BECAUSE THEY WERE ALL IN THE LAUNDRY!!!

THIS HOTEL DOES NOT OWN ENOUGH TOWELS!

Even though the room was large, attractive, and the bed very comfortable, there were additional details that were just ... off.

For example, the amenities were nearly all different brands. They included Pantene shampoo, a Lather shower gel, and H2O conditioner and lotion. It was like someone bought a lot of one amenity or another on eBay. "Hey! We scored 135 bottles of Pantene shampoo this time!" Very strange.

On our second day, I came back to the room mid-afternoon and noticed that it hadn't been made up. No problem. I put the "Please service this room" sign on the doorknob and left. We returned about 4 hours later and the maid still hadn't paid a visit.

When I mentioned this upon checking out, the young man at the front desk gave me a garbled explanation about how not all the maids were up to date with a new housecleaning policy and he apologized.

SO NOT CLEANING A ROOM IS THE NEW POLICY??

So bizarre.

One redeeming factor was the delicious food at the bar. Everything we ordered was outstanding. Service was so-so, but we were never in a hurry so if our glasses needed refilling for 10 minutes or so, it wasn't that big of a deal to us.

I really wanted and expected to give it the best possible rating, but there were just too many things that went wrong, and together they add up to bad management, bad training, or both. There WERE a couple of special events going on that same weekend, but these are scheduled weeks, if not months in advance, giving the hotel time to plan for adequate staffing and supplies.

For the most part I never got the feeling that the employees didn't care. On the contrary. A couple of them expressed pride in the Padre Hotel and its renovation, so I'm not sure where the weak link is, but trendy decor isn't enough to bring me back.

The

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for the review. Changes have been made and you'll find on your next stay, aside from delicious food and fun restaurants, the hotel rooms are also a wonderful experience with more consistent service and product. We hope you can visit us again soon!
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is one of the few hotels ever that I was sad to leave. To think, that a hotel in Bakersfield embodies the excellence of design and function one would find in a boutique hotel in New York. It reminded me design-wise and service-wise me of several of the Kimpton's hotels, only at a fraction of the price.

The design of the room was smart, gracious, and comfortable -- clean lines and fabrics in a variety of blacks, greys and whites and patterns using this palette from floor to ceiling. The hotel itself is an art deco masterpiece with lobbies and restaurants retaining the old with elements of the new. Even the photos on their site don't do it justice.

My room had a 12 foot ceiling with floor to ceiling drapes; large flat screen TV, a bathroom the size of my bedroom at home with smart fixtures, a large step in shower with patterned black tiles on the sides and plain small tiles on the floor with rain shower showerhead and a seat built in a super comfortable bed (I believe memory foam with extra padding on top); a large comfortable chair with accompanying ottoman. Toiletries provided were top notch.

The wi-fi was fast and flawless.

The staff was cheerful, accommodating, and it was clear when chatting with them that they had a great deal of pride about the hotel.When I asked if I could place the cooling packs from my cooler in their freezer, they volunteered that they could provide me gratis with a small refrigerator.

I was glad that rather than choosing one of the usual chain motels in Bakersfield (where I needed to stay over on the way back from a road trip), I stayed at the Padre.

There was a 10 dollar charge for valet parking, but well worth it. The car was retrieved quickly when needed.

The only negative for me was that most restaurants in that downtown areas were closed on the Sunday I was there, but with the use of Yelp and a five to ten minute drive, I found what I wanted. It's not the hotel's restaurants were unappealing -- quite the opposite -- but I was looking for something else.

If I do another road trip to Las Vegas or other points in the Southwest, this will definitely be one of my stopping places along the way.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for the review. All of the details you mentioned are things the team works very hard at
and we appreciate recognition. We hope you get to visit us again soon!
SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

After arriving at the Padre Hotel I knew it was going to be a nice stay. Caylee who checked us in at reception was generous with her smiles and helpful answering all of our questions. She was working 3 of the 4 days I stayed, but even when she was gone the other front desk staff were just as smiling friendly and helpful. My room was very comfortable, a little smaller than the room other friends had but since I was traveling solo the room was fine. The walk in shower is quite sexy and if you leave the bedroom curtains open you can look out while showering! All of the food and beverage staff were great, although some shifts were understaffed and some servers were slightly undertrained. We ate breakfast in the lobby restaurant twice and both times food came to the table we did not order instead of what had been ordered and the servers had to return to the kitchen to find what was missing. Not a big problem at all, but ordering cocktails at night can be tricky because of so many customers for how the place is staffed. I think a working manager on the floor at all busy times would solve the issues. It was a nice comfortable stay and who would have ever thought that a beautiful big city hotel would be right in the heart of downtown Bakersfield. If I return to Bakersfield (I live in Napa) I will stay at the Padre again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Cutting edge contemporary meets Spanish Colonial Revival in the heart of downtown Bakersfield...who knew?! Stumbled on this stylish, friendly gem and didn't want to leave. The lobby is the epicenter of cool with several restaurant, bar and lounging options. The multi million dollar renovation is absolutely worth every mile of the drive. Upgrade to the ironically named Oil Baron or Farmer's Daughter Penthouse Suites for a special night of pomp and pampering.

Room Tip: Oil Baron or Farmer's Daughter Penthouse Suites are huge and a fantastic value!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Well thanks for such kind words! We appreciate the review and are always happy to hear our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. Come back soon!
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was very impressed with the Padre. Nice building with nicely decorated interior and modern chic rooms. Room was very well appointed with comfy and luxurious bed, nice lighting and proper HVAC - not a noisy room mounted unit like most competitors. My only gripe was that room was very noisy on Sat evening due to heavy bass coming from a bar area. Also there were two other negatives: wall mounted towel rack was loose and almost fell off during my stay and the outer sheets had a few holes in them. However these were minor issues and did not prevent me from really enjoying my stay. Staff were also very friendly and courteous. I will certainly stay here whenever I am in Bakersfield.

• Stayed May 2013
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your 5 star review, hope to see you again soon!
Matthew
Phoenix, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I don't disagree with all the other positive reviews. This is a nice upscale place and has been well remodeled. However, I was surprised at how small the actual room is. We expected to stay in the room most of the day because others in our group were going to a wedding, and we were to babysit. But the room is simply too small to hang around in. There is about 30 inches space on each side of the bed, and maybe 6' of space at the foot of the bed plus a small hall and crowded bathroom. This feels like a tiny New York City hotel room, not something one would expect in a western smaller city. If the size of the room matters to you, ask to see it first and you may not want to stay here.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We are so happy to offer complimentary upgrades if a room is not perfect for any guest, don't ever hesitate to ask, thank you for staying with us.
Matthew

Been to Padre Hotel? Share your experiences!