“A Gem in an Unexplected Place” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
$10 in Belvedere Room
Ranked #1 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
San Francisco
“A Gem in an Unexplected Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is one of the few hotels ever that I was sad to leave. To think, that a hotel in Bakersfield embodies the excellence of design and function one would find in a boutique hotel in New York. It reminded me design-wise and service-wise me of several of the Kimpton's hotels, only at a fraction of the price.

The design of the room was smart, gracious, and comfortable -- clean lines and fabrics in a variety of blacks, greys and whites and patterns using this palette from floor to ceiling. The hotel itself is an art deco masterpiece with lobbies and restaurants retaining the old with elements of the new. Even the photos on their site don't do it justice.

My room had a 12 foot ceiling with floor to ceiling drapes; large flat screen TV, a bathroom the size of my bedroom at home with smart fixtures, a large step in shower with patterned black tiles on the sides and plain small tiles on the floor with rain shower showerhead and a seat built in a super comfortable bed (I believe memory foam with extra padding on top); a large comfortable chair with accompanying ottoman. Toiletries provided were top notch.

The wi-fi was fast and flawless.

The staff was cheerful, accommodating, and it was clear when chatting with them that they had a great deal of pride about the hotel.When I asked if I could place the cooling packs from my cooler in their freezer, they volunteered that they could provide me gratis with a small refrigerator.

I was glad that rather than choosing one of the usual chain motels in Bakersfield (where I needed to stay over on the way back from a road trip), I stayed at the Padre.

There was a 10 dollar charge for valet parking, but well worth it. The car was retrieved quickly when needed.

The only negative for me was that most restaurants in that downtown areas were closed on the Sunday I was there, but with the use of Yelp and a five to ten minute drive, I found what I wanted. It's not the hotel's restaurants were unappealing -- quite the opposite -- but I was looking for something else.

If I do another road trip to Las Vegas or other points in the Southwest, this will definitely be one of my stopping places along the way.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for the review. All of the details you mentioned are things the team works very hard at
and we appreciate recognition. We hope you get to visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
SAN MIGUEL DE ALLENDE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

After arriving at the Padre Hotel I knew it was going to be a nice stay. Caylee who checked us in at reception was generous with her smiles and helpful answering all of our questions. She was working 3 of the 4 days I stayed, but even when she was gone the other front desk staff were just as smiling friendly and helpful. My room was very comfortable, a little smaller than the room other friends had but since I was traveling solo the room was fine. The walk in shower is quite sexy and if you leave the bedroom curtains open you can look out while showering! All of the food and beverage staff were great, although some shifts were understaffed and some servers were slightly undertrained. We ate breakfast in the lobby restaurant twice and both times food came to the table we did not order instead of what had been ordered and the servers had to return to the kitchen to find what was missing. Not a big problem at all, but ordering cocktails at night can be tricky because of so many customers for how the place is staffed. I think a working manager on the floor at all busy times would solve the issues. It was a nice comfortable stay and who would have ever thought that a beautiful big city hotel would be right in the heart of downtown Bakersfield. If I return to Bakersfield (I live in Napa) I will stay at the Padre again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Cutting edge contemporary meets Spanish Colonial Revival in the heart of downtown Bakersfield...who knew?! Stumbled on this stylish, friendly gem and didn't want to leave. The lobby is the epicenter of cool with several restaurant, bar and lounging options. The multi million dollar renovation is absolutely worth every mile of the drive. Upgrade to the ironically named Oil Baron or Farmer's Daughter Penthouse Suites for a special night of pomp and pampering.

Room Tip: Oil Baron or Farmer's Daughter Penthouse Suites are huge and a fantastic value!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer J, Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Well thanks for such kind words! We appreciate the review and are always happy to hear our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. Come back soon!
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was very impressed with the Padre. Nice building with nicely decorated interior and modern chic rooms. Room was very well appointed with comfy and luxurious bed, nice lighting and proper HVAC - not a noisy room mounted unit like most competitors. My only gripe was that room was very noisy on Sat evening due to heavy bass coming from a bar area. Also there were two other negatives: wall mounted towel rack was loose and almost fell off during my stay and the outer sheets had a few holes in them. However these were minor issues and did not prevent me from really enjoying my stay. Staff were also very friendly and courteous. I will certainly stay here whenever I am in Bakersfield.

• Stayed May 2013
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your 5 star review, hope to see you again soon!
Phoenix, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

I don't disagree with all the other positive reviews. This is a nice upscale place and has been well remodeled. However, I was surprised at how small the actual room is. We expected to stay in the room most of the day because others in our group were going to a wedding, and we were to babysit. But the room is simply too small to hang around in. There is about 30 inches space on each side of the bed, and maybe 6' of space at the foot of the bed plus a small hall and crowded bathroom. This feels like a tiny New York City hotel room, not something one would expect in a western smaller city. If the size of the room matters to you, ask to see it first and you may not want to stay here.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
We are so happy to offer complimentary upgrades if a room is not perfect for any guest, don't ever hesitate to ask, thank you for staying with us.
Santa Ana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is a pretty cool hotel. It doesn't look like much on the outside, but once you walk in you will start smiling and that smile will probably stay with you for your entire stay. It's kind of a hard place to describe. There is a country western cowboy vibe, but it's kitschy and not overdone so it won't offend anyone who isn't into that scene, and then there's a sort of Ian Schrager hip big city hotel thing going on especially with regards to the room furnishings which are sort of cool but minimalist. It's a weird confluence of styles, but it works. I really liked this hotel and would absolutely go back. The price point is really the same as you would pay for any lower end chain hotel making this place a bargain. For a relatively small hotel, there is a pretty wide assortment of bars and restaurants. There is a lobby bar and and a 2nd floor outdoor rooftop bar that are both nicely done. You can get bar food in both bars. You can tell that upscale locals with some taste frequent both of these bars as they are active places. There is a normal type of restaurant in the lobby that we tried for breakfast and it was quite good. The other restaurant in the lobby is a high end dining room. We ate dinner there and the meal was a bit flawed but I'd be willing to give them a second chance. Service and ambiance were great but the food was just a little too salty. It wasn't inedible by any means, but it would have been so much better if my soup and my main course had about half the salt they used. I mentioned this to the waiter and asked if their first string was in the kitchen tonight and he said that in fact the executive chef was out that evening. They comped a dessert for us which was a nice gesture and that dessert was truly delicious -- maybe even world class.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are slightly bigger. I had read this on a previous review and requested one. 2nd floo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Unique is one way to describe Padre, fantastic is the other! Thank you!
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Nouveau Riche and quaint hotel with lots of charm. My only reccommendation is that you let the hotel desk know you require "overnight stay" if you stay >1night. This way you are pleased to offer a high cleanliness rating.

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for staying with us!
Matthew

Been to Padre Hotel? Share your experiences!