“This Place Rocks Bakersfield” 5 of 5 stars

Padre Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1702 18th Street, Bakersfield, CA 93301   |
Ranked #2 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
San Francisco, California
“This Place Rocks Bakersfield”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Who knew the old down town could be so much fun . . . I have to travel to Bakersfield frequently for business it is great that there is finally a cool place to stay at a good price. The lobby bar is great in the evening and the coffee shop works in the morning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Thank you, we are #1 in town, and we guarantee everyone a wonderful stay.

469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I messed up the hotel reservation, and arrived to find the hotel almost completely sold out. The kind and helpful staff gave me a huge corner "pocket" room that is larger than many suites at other hotels. Comfortable and nicely furnished, the room also had free Wi-Fi. The room service was prompt and the food was good. The Belvedere Restaurant is modern and whimsical in decor. The steak was delicious, but my guests didn't like the fish entrees (finding them not fresh). The wine list is modest, but the martinis are ice cold and top labels available for hard liquor. I wish the hotel had the LA Times or the NY Times newspapers available for purchase, but this isn't a deal breaker because I am sure when business brings me to Bakersfield again, this hotel will remain my first choice.

Room Tip: Request corner "pocket" rooms- spacious and beautifully decorated.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for visiting the Padre. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Having worked at a 4 star hotel in New York City, I came to Bakersfield expecting little with my standards being high.

The Padre hotel was more than I could have ever expected. Upon check-in Christine? was extremely friendly and perfect on all aspects. She offered me suggestions for awesome places to eat around the hotel and some bars I could go to. My room was extremely large with a very nice bathroom and included a super comfortable bed, free wifi. Very solid.

The two restaurants in the hotel I went to were fantastic. The coffee shop had great coffee and served excellent breakfast, I got the house made chorizo/ eggs and the breakfast sandwich. I ate at the bar the second night and had amazing appetizers that could compete with the majority of restaurants in NYC, brussels sprouts, oxtail fries, spinach dip and house made flat bread. All super yummy.

I was warned by a couple of people to be "careful" around Bakersfield because people like to fight...makes sense, small town, booze, bored... fight? So I took the shuttle with Patrick? he recommended I try out Wool Growers. Surprisingly, Bakersfield has the largest Basque population outside of France and Spain. Pretty good food, atmosphere and experience. Really it was the unique dishes and experience that made the dinner so good.

All in all, the Padre made Bakersfield a place I wouldn't mind coming back to. Thanks and see you again soon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you so much for staying at Padre!
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Padre Hotel is fabulous and frankly a delightful surprise in Bakersfield. The staff is great, the rooms huge and very cool, the restaurants delightful and the evening scene lively (we only managed to get into the Prairie Fire -which we enjoyed- for a drink everything else was too busy).
We had booked a corner pocket room and when we checked in requested a room away from the nightclub (thanks to Tripadvisor reviews). Unfortunately they only had one of our room types left and it was right above the club. We figured we would use our ear plugs. Just as we were getting our luggage into our room (which by the way was lovely and spacious), the hotel GM, Matthew Krumweide popped in with keys to a Farmer's Daughter suite on the 8th floor. He said it was not being used and we could have the upgrade for free, so that we would get some rest. Talk about a proactive manager!
The suite was fabulous, it felt a lot like a suite in the Cosmopolitan Hotel in LV. A ton of space, lots of windows, cool furniture and wallpaper, comfortable bed. Great bathroom, huge shower, nice tub, etc. Even a 1/2 bottle of French Champagne in the mini bar (trust me this is hard to find here).
Loved the fact they kept a lot of the historic Bakersfield in the decor in a very cool/hip way. My compliments to the decorating team.
The best part of the hotel is the staff. Every person who helped us was nice, efficient and personal.
I wish we had the Padre Hotel in San Francisco, I would be a regular and I would suggest it to all of my friends. If you are planning a trip to Bakersfield, plan on staying at the Padre!

Room Tip: When you book, ask for a room away from the nightclub when it's open.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying at Padre! We do look forward to seeing you again and giving us the opportunity to give you and every guest the highest level of service we can. Happy Holidays!
Toluca Lake, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

What a darling hotel - loved the lobby, enjoyed the restauarnt, and was charmed with th eroom and the decor. I had one of the itty bitty rooms and was a little tripped out by the glass walled shower in th emiddle of the room - but hey, I could watch TV while I was shampooing my hair! Bathroom privacy is not an option if you are sharing the room. Oh and, did you know the hotel is haunted? Looked for the smudgy chid's handprint that keeps coming back on the wall at the cafe entrance. Mondays nights is half off the entrees at the restaurant so good luck finding a table!

Room Tip: If you are sharing the room, dont get the cheapest one - or ask about the glass walled showers.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Your 5 star review means alot to us here at Padre. Thank you and we look forward to seeing you again, Happy Holidays!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

It's is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. It strikes a perfect balance of luxury and affordable, vintage and modern, and has some of the friendliest staff. It was so nice we decided to stay a second night (Bakersfield is a great mid-way point between the Sequoias, Las Vegas, LA, wine country; we had a busy holiday).

The bed is heavenly. Solid mattress with feather top and pillows. Awesome.

Dined one night in the bar ($), the second in the Belvedere restaurant ($$) - both were exactly what we needed at the time. My only regret is not seeing more of Bakersfield, because the hotel was so accommodating we didn't seek dining elsewhere.

This place is class all the way. If you find yourself in Bakersfield and feel like a good night and restful sleep, this is the hotel for you.

P.s. - take the soap and lotion with you. It is gorgeous!
P.p.s. - the Forty Winks room is definitely for couples/family! One of the walls to the bathroom/toilet is glass with a *mostly* opaque curtain.

Room Tip: The Forty Winks (economy) room is fine, albeit intimate (see above re curtain...)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
gmThePadre, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you so much for staying with us, we hope to see you again soon at Bakersfield's #1 hotel!
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed here for a party being held there. Our room was very modern, and chic. They ran out of the rooms that we had reserved, so they upgraded us! The rooms have a modern twist on Bakersfield's oil history. The beds were SOOO comfortable!
The several places to eat/drink are all unique and still cohesive. I live in Bakersfield, and it was nice to "get away" here!
Love it!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
We love to upgrade and love our parties!! We look forward to seeing you again.
Matthew

Been to Padre Hotel? Share your experiences!