“Great Place to Stay in Bakersfield” 5 of 5 stars

Padre Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1702 18th Street, Bakersfield, CA 93301   |
Ranked #2 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
Lomita, California
“Great Place to Stay in Bakersfield”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

The Padre is a charming, very cool boutique hotel in downtown Bakersfield. Originally built in 1928, the hotel has been completely renovated. Our room was very nicely done, the bathroom large (although a bit dark) and everything was immaculate and well-maintained. We had a drink in the bar which was well-populated and lively even though it was 3:00p on a Thursday. They had a selection of seasonal cocktails from which I chose a Cider Manhattan. Very good! We had dinner in the Belvedere Room. It was an excellent meal. My husband especially like being able to choose his own salad ingredients. Breakfast the next morning in the Farmacy was also good. The Padre is an excellent value for the money and a much more pleasant experience that we expected. We highly recommend it and will definitely return next time we are in Bakersfield.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Flagstaff, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

This is a funky, cool hotel in downtown Bakersfield. Clearly they are trying to turn the area into an upscale part of town. The hotel is quirky, charming, funky, metro. The staff are helpful and friendly. The rooms, kind of smaller, but immaculate- clean, new, perfectly maintained. We had a beautiful, large, glass shower. Very expensive feel to the bathroom. Nice views from our room of the Fox Theatre.
We showed up there with 2 older kids and the hotel isn't really set up to put 4 people in a room. But the staff went out of their way to help us with roll aways for them.
The restaurant/bar downstairs is really good! We had a breakfast down there that was second to none. I had an omelette which was fantastic and the hash browns were delicious. Oh, there is rumor the hotel is haunted which made it even a little bit more exciting. We didn't pick up any vibes of hauntedness and slept quite peacefully in the soft beds. We thought the Padre was just all around cool. The outdoor seating area on 2nd floor gives you a feel for the history, as does an old phone switchboard stashed in a hallway on the 2nd floor. The basement bathrooms are super metro and worth a visit.
Across the street is an antique store. It looks small, but actually it is huge- 3 full floors of stuff. It is worth a look as there is some fancy Beverly Hills type clothing, furniture, china in there.
Anyways, this hotel is great and very unique. They will charge you $10 for valet parking, or you risk parking on the street. There are some sketchy people in the proximity, but we did not have any issues with them.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Fox Theatre.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Redlands, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

We have fallen in love with The Padre Hotel in Bakersfield. If this hotel was in any other city, you would have to pay big bucks, it really is a very cool hotel. We've been using it as a stopping place for our weekend trips--LA to San Fransisco--leaving Thursday evening after traffic. Then we get up Friday morning, have a nice breakfast and scoot up the coast in 5-6 hours.
At the cute little coffee shop I ordered grapefruit juice, a bowl of steaming hot steel cut oatmeal with fresh raspberries, blue berries, and strawberries. And an order of delicious thick toast with jam and coffee. It only cost six bucks! I couldn't believe it!
The only weird thing was coming back to our room after breakfast and finding a member of the maintenance staff in our room, despite the "Do Not Disturb" sign we had left on the door. He told us he was looking at the electrical socket in the mirror over the bureau. When we checked out, I asked the front desk if they had sent a maintenance person to our room. It took while for them to come up with an answer. They told us that he had been checking on a leak.
The rooms are super cool, the beds divine, the decor funky & fun, the food yummy. It's well-worth the 20-minute trek over from the 5 freeway.

Room Tip: You won't hear the music from the night club if you are on floor five or higher.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
It was a pleasure being your host in Bakersfield! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Salinas, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

My parents live in bakersfield and have an office nearby, so needless to say, The Padre is a common destination for them be it lunch in the bar or dinner at the Belvedere Room. They have the right ingredients for a great place but it constantly falls short. I will give the service in the Belvedere room props for improving from the first time I went there about 14 months ago, but still, its always a little subpar. I really just think they either have a bad training manager or just don't really get the concept of luxury service. Although I know they recently hired new people so maybe it will be improving.
The bar has a great lunch menu but everytime I go there I feel so angry afterwords due to the service. Once I had the waitress slam a drink down on the table spilling it, and rushing us to order food, come on its a bar, no one should rush anything...
All in all the only reason that this place even gets three stars is because its one of the closest things Bakersfield has to a top notch dinning experience.

Room Tip: The decor is beautiful and its an exciting place, however prepare yourself for frustration over the...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for your review. Every guest review is an opportunity to work with our management team to ensure every guest has a perfect stay. I appreciate the areas you mentioned and will be meeting with those departments to address things you noticed, our goal is to always "raise the bar" in our service standards. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Laguna Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I stayed at the Padre Hotel, probably a decade ago and they have sense renovated which has absolutely made this one of the nicest hotels in the Valley. I would give them 5 stars but the parking issue is not good. They ask for a $10 per day Valet Charge and they either park your car on dirt in a shady neighborhood downtown or they park your car in a parking structure which is approximately half a block away. The interior is modern, very comfortable, and more than adequate. I'm thoroughly impressed with this hotel minus the parking situation. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
A decade ago would you have ever thought Padre would be reborn into a masterpiece! Thank you so much for staying with us, we look forward to your return visit soon.
Beverly Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

This hotel is what this quaint city needed. Location is close to major attractions in the city and the decor is a mix of great west and plush Hollywood scene. Rooms are comfortable and trendy. Restaurants offer great service considering the location. The most vibrant local
nightlife is here in this hotel. Higly recommended.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2011
There was a need and we did fill it with the amazing Padre! Thank you for staying with us, we look forward to seeing you again.
long beach, california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

I've stayed here twice in the last two months on business. Both were great experiences. I've stayed in the forty-winks room both times and, while the room itself is a bit small (very little space around the bed and between the bed and the shower), it's still quite comfortable for one person or a couple.

Not being from Bakersfield, I am not sure how convenient the location of the hotel is. It was five minutes from where I was doing my work and smack-dab in the middle of downtown, so it worked for me. Bakersfield is a sprawling place, however, so I am not sure if there are more convenient places in which to stay. Downtown is not particularly busy, but there are a number of hip little restaurants within walking distance of the hotel and a convenience store across the street. The hotel itself does not have an ATM, so I ended up walking across the street to withdraw some cash.

The hotel offers valet parking at $10 per night. The "valet" parking, however, is a small open lot adjacent to the hotel. It seemed like more trouble than it was worth to me, so I opted for street parking during the day and, at night, I parked in the free parking structure across the street from the hotel. The structure has a three hour maximum limit during the day. Since I had early morning meetings, it wasn't a problem.

The decor of the hotel is modern but quirky, which keeps it from being pretentious. I think it's contemporary but comfortable, which means that substance is not sacrificed for style. The mattresses are very comfortable and the rooms have perfect climate control. The showers are lovely, though the little curtain that works to provide privacy to the person in the shower (the shower stalls in forty winks are completely made of glass) is a bit odd, aesthetically speaking. The rooms I've stayed in have both been very clean. They come with basic amenities like toiletries, a hair dryer and ironing board. Closets are spacious. The Wifi was a bit tricky and weak, but was able to catch a connection for basic communication and the simple tasks I had to complete while there.

The service is excellent and the staff is very friendly. Our room was not ready at check-in time on my last visit, so the Front Desk sent us to the bar for complimentary drinks while we waited. All of the interaction that I had with staff members at the front desk, cafe and saloon were very positive. I didn't see much of the housekeeping staff, which may mean that they are either very discrete or that our schedules just weren't synched.

The cafe serves large, hearty and tasty breakfasts and the variety of drinks offered at the saloon are strong and super inexpensive! We were celebrating the inauguration of a project, so we met up at the saloon and were shocked at how small the final tab was. I believe they had a happy hour special going on all evening, but I enjoyed a very large, strong and tasty Basil Martini for practically nothing (or at least only 30% of what I would have paid in Los Angeles). There is a "club" across the hall from the saloon, which is not as lively as the saloon and serves mediocre drinks. The crowd at the club was eclectic and a bit of a mish-mash of types, but it made for good people watching. We moved back and forth between the club and the saloon without any problems.

All in all, I found the hotel to offer comfortable, stylish rooms, various options for entertainment and great service. I will be returning again soon and am looking forward to my stay. According to my colleague in Bakersfield, it is the best place to stay at out there. From my experience, I will probably have to agree!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Thank you so much for staying at Padre. As you already know, we have refined every detail into a masterpiece! Happy Holidays!

Been to Padre Hotel? Share your experiences!