“Nicely appointed; friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

$10 in Belvedere Room
Ranked #1 of 59 Hotels in Bakersfield
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver
“Nicely appointed; friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Newly reno'd heritage hotel; hip design, excellent room, friendly staff. Outdoor lounge on the roof is cool, but too tired to stay....kitchen turned out good food. Solid old bldg with quiet rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms above second-floor rooftop lounge if you want to sleep; we stayed opposite side, very qu...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
It was a pleasure to be your host here in Bakersfield. Thank you for staying with us, we are looking forward to your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We were to be in Bakersfield for a day on a weekend, and thought - there must be something cool and nice and different to stay besides the standard hotel/motel typical of the Central Valley. I checked here and found all the standards, and then there was the Padre Hotel. Hummm, let me check this one out.

I read their website, the reviews here, and looked at all the pictures…thought then to check out the rates. Rates looked good.

Now, I grew up in the area and knew there wasn't much in choices of boutique hotels. I knew the area, and knew the town was revitalizing their downtown and this area was a pretty okay area -- though I wondered if this hotel was the seedy one I recalled from years past. Well, the pics from the hotel and Tripadvisor reviewers all seemed pretty nice, looked like a good renovation -- I decided to book through a popular online travel site; requested one of their corner rooms.

A good deal, indeed. Area has cleaned up a lot. The hotel reminds me of several boutique hotels in the Bay Area (we live there). Now the deco -- it has the new modern sleek designs we see popular in these types of hotels.

The room was clean, well laid out, and had a very newness feel to it. We had a king bed with a memory foam mattress, loved the way they did the headboard. For the mattress, I always wanted to know how these would feel - looove it! I mean, like-wow! There was room for a large corner sofa, marble coffee table, writing desk, and a 40" plasma tv with real cable channels (not those hotel tv-cables - ya know what I mean). Internet was available - both ethernet and wifi -- had connection all the time with the wifi. Bathroom was great, could have a double sink for the type of room offered. The shower was nice and large - can't figure if it''s tile in the shower or some new type of vinyl tile, but pretty cool. They offered H2O for their bathroom products - which I love. A/C worked well. And windows -- loved all the windows. Since we had a corner room, we had windows on both sides - tall picturesque with a nice view (evening and day). We left the drapes open and the early morning sun was absolutely lovely. I sound like my mother-in-law!!

Some slight problems - the lights in the bathroom are way too dimmed. Putting on make-up was not easy - basically, forget 'bout it. Even the light over the large full mirror was way too dimmed. I guess you're not suppose to look at yourself except in a very romantic mood-light setting. Also, no mini bar - no mini fridge. There was a slot in the cabinet for it - but it was missing. Very strange - guess they wanted you to go to their hopping-busy-packed bar or the grocery store or use room service. Oops, another thing…there were no drawers to put your stuff away. We had to place folded items on the shelves of our closet - oh well.

Now the hip part of this hotel -- requested a quiet part of the hotel, since I'm a very light sleeper. We were located to the 6th floor. We returned from our event about 11 or so (PM). We entered a pack lobby full of 20/30-somethings. It was packed -- thought it was a party of some sort. Nope, just a happening place; waaay to happening. Music was loud. I then recalled the lady at our check-in telling me…if the music is too loud, call and we'll tell them to turn it down. The bubble in my head popped up, "oh sure". Anyway, 6th floor and you can hear the bass of the music - boom, boom-boom, boom…well, it ended early (midnight/1am). At least by the time I went to bed, the music ended. Thank goodness, but if I had to go to bed early…not something I want to experience. I have called the front desk in other hotels due to noise, but I cannot imagine anyplace quieter since there are only 8 floors in this hotel.

Overall, they clearly spent a lot of money in their renovations and it was money well spent. It did have a nice bar restaurant and coffee cafe. There is also a nice looking fine dining restaurant but didn't have time to partake in it.

Last thing to note - no hotel parking is provided. You can park on the street or in the public lot (fee based) once you drop off your luggage at one of the two entrances. Mind you, it's not a driveway or anything. If there's no parking out front, you're out-of-luck. Just drive around the block or park and haul yourself and your luggage to the hotel. They do offer valet parking. We were fortunate to park in front and parked in the public lot across the street. No cost since it was the weekend.

All-in-all, I (we) would definitely come back. I believe they have been in business for about three years - I hope to see them again. Maybe there will be more boutique hotels in Bakersfield.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
First, thank you so much for staying with us! Your review of Padre is a wonderful insight for guests that have not experienced the "gem" of Bakersfield yet. Our diverse hospitality offering has brought us visitors of all ages and from all over the world, as well as our wonderful corporate clientele. We look forward to your return visit, consider yourself "family"!
Santa clarit
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Stayed overnight at the Padre after attending a wedding in town. Got there at 1pm but could't check in early. Had to get ready in a friends room, which was fine. At the end of the evening checked into our room. We were very impressed by the decor and loved the two window shower with the ability to see the hotelroom while showering. Very cool.

Went down to the 2nd floor patio bar. Great service and great food. Cass is an amazing bartender.

Returned to our room at about 11pm to sleep. The boom boom noise from downstairs was soooooo loud that I laid awake until 2am when the place finally shut down. It was horrible. I was extremely tired from my 2 1/2 hr drive, the wedding/reception all day and the time at the 2nd floor patio bar. All I wanted was a good nights sleep. I would Not stay at the Padre again unless I partied all night long and just crashed.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room Didn't seem to work. I don't think they have a quiet room i...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us, every review we receive is an opportunity to learn how we can make a guest stay the best it can be. I have met with the hotel department managers and reviewed your comments, we would love to have you return to Padre, we suggest after making a reservation, please call our hotel so that you can communicate your wishes for the most quiet room or any special requests you may have. We appreciate when guests call the hotel directly with special requests, we love to give every guest that "special touch"! We do have rooms which would be perfect for your next stay, thank you again for staying with us.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

A week at the Padre Hotel was made comfortable and enjoyable by the delightful staff. Nick Soberano in particular graciously anticipated my needs by having my rental car at the front door ready for me to return to the Bakersfield Airport for a 5 a.m. flight. Earlier he called to make sure I was awake after I received the courtesy wake up call exactly on time, he offered me a cup of coffee and the newspaper in the lobby, and even mailed a package for me at the Post Office after I left. When a dinner date canceled because of illness I went into the dining room and as a lone diner was treated with respect, courtesy, and discretion by the wait staff. The food was outstanding in the main dining room, and when I ordered the filet I learned that a lobster tail could be included at no extra charge. The meal was delicious. One night during my stay after shopping too long on a Sunday two of my friends and I found good food late in the bar when not many other places were open in town at that hour. The rooms are large, the beds are wonderful, and the housekeeping staff is efficient and accommodating. A coffee pot and refrigerator can be placed in rooms simply by requesting them.

Room Tip: I like the double deuce; it's roomy and reasonably priced.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
The Padre prides itself on providing the highest level of guest service, we are so pleased we were able to provide you with a 5 star stay! Nick and the entire staff thank you for staying with us, and we look forward to your return visit.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

My wife and I stayed here the night of our wedding. The staff was great, the room the best. The service was top notch. We asked for a room away from others because we had several people visit for an after party and would be loud. They did and never had a complaint. The bars closed early as it was a Sunday, so the bell boy came to our room and went to the local store an purchased, beer, water, and Jack in the Box for our entire party. That is Service that is top notch. Room was clean and everything was great. The hotel even gave rooms to many in our party who had too much to drink in the middle of the night. Very cool place, will return if my wife kicks me to the dog house for a night.

Room Tip: Ask for the "oil barron's suite".
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Thank you for honoring us with your stay on your special day. We strive every day for every guest to experience 5 star service, and we are so pleased you enjoyed it and your visit. We look forward to your return!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

The Padre Hotel is THE hotel to stay at or hang out at while in Bakersfield, CA. The staff is extremely courteous - from the valet guys, to the security, bartenders, servers, and management (and everybody in between!). The Padre is very unique featuring a "fancy" restaurant (which is DELICIOUS!), a coffee shop, a more casual bar area with a pool table, and an upscale club. Also, on the second floor rooftoop is an amazing outdoor bar area that is beautiful and tons of fun to hang out at and relax with a martini (they make a mean lemondrop!) and people watch.... it has outdoor heaters and fire pits and plenty of seating and sometimes has live music as well - this was by far my favorite place to be. The crowd is a nice mix and appears to be a "who's who" of Bakersfield. The rooms are gorgeous and very sexy! The beds are comfy and immaculate - everything is brand new!! Book this hotel now! You won't be disappointed. The staff is extremely attentive and polite.... a special mention of thanks to Nick S - the manager at the front desk - he took special care of us and made our visit memorable. Thanks!

Room Tip: any room is great!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
It was a pleasure to be your host while you were in Bakersfield. The Padre is the new shining star in town, and we thank you so much for staying with us!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Nice rooms,kinda small, great shower....... great makeover for the "Tombstone Alamo"
no coffee pot

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
We love being "swanky"! Thanks so much for staying with us, we look forward to your next visit!

Been to Padre Hotel? Share your experiences!