“Amost worth the destination!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Weekend Room Upgrade
Ranked #2 of 57 hotels in Bakersfield
Redlands, California
“Amost worth the destination!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Although we got off to a bad start with the Padre, this is a very cool place. We decided to break up a trip to the central California coast with a stop in Bakersfield, in order to miss LA morning traffic. And we're glad we did. I remember visiting the piano bar at the Padre in 1984 when it was a seedy downtown motel with vagrants squatting in the rooms. Times have changed!
We arrived at 11 p.m., tired and ready to crash. The Padre has a lively night club that was in full swing. Patrons were on the sidewalk out front having a smoke and we groaned inwardly, thinking we had made a big mistake. Things went from bad to worse. It took about 45 minutes to check in because our reservation was not in the computer, even though we had (and were able to show an email confirmation from Travelocity).
The guy working the front desk staff seemed to be very busy, constantly on his walkie/talkie, which seemed to distract him from taking care of our reservation.
But when we finally got to our room all was forgiven! A cool cocoon of soothing greys and funky Jetsons' furniture awaited us and we couldn't hear the throbbing beat of the night club at all on the 5th floor The bed was deliciously comfortable. And the shower had the coolest wall paperesque tiles with fleur de lys.
We were surprised to find such an amazing place in Bakersfield it has been beautifully restored. Kind of like the Davenport Hotel in Spokane, the only really nice thing in town.
Unfortunately, we had more trouble the next morning when trying to coordinate with my parents, who were traveling with us. According "Jenn," via the hotel computer, my parents were not staying at the hotel. Thank goodness for cell phones or we would still be looking for them.
We loved the Padre and will return, probably . . . maybe!

Room Tip: Try booking directly with the hotel rather than through Travelocity. I'd be curious to hear fro...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2011
Thank you so much for choosing the Padre for your Bakersfield stay! Your review has enlightened my staff and I to areas we will be improving, we strive for every guest stay to be a perfect one, and we look forward to your return visit soon. Thank you again!

452 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I met a businessman in the lift of this hotel and he told me he refused to stay anywhere else in Bakersfield other than the Padre. After staying there, I probably agree & would return as it was nothing like the usual chains. The hotel physically stands head and shoulders above Bakersfield in a 1920's building and the interior is like stepping into a very cool New York/LA/Sydney hotel with browns and chrome everwhere. The failure in actually BEING a very cool hotel was the staff. They were all very friendly and polite but they were also all dressed as if they had finished their shift and were caught on the way out the door. The trendy styling of the hotel clashed with the reality of the appearance of the staff. I wouldn't want the snotty staff that usually go with the cool hotels but a little more polish would have completed the picture.

The room I had was clean, tidy and comfortable and had an amazing glass shower that meant you could enjoy the view out the room window or watch the big screen TV easily.

My 2 negative points were, firstly, the room service menu which as I found out after I ordered, was very out of date and my meal cost twice what the menu had said. (The food was lovely and the staff very apologetic.) Secondly, the hotel has an outdoor bar on the roof of the 2nd or 3rd level and about half the hotel rooms overlook it. The windows are not sound proofed so when the band went to work, I couldn't even hear the TV. Many other rooms obviously had the same problem and simply opened their windows to be part of the night but if you didn't like the music, your only option was to leave your room. The band did stop exactly at 10pm as promised by the hotel staff.

Small gripes: no fridge or tea/coffee making facilities and the lighting in the bathroom was too dim to confidently apply makeup.

Loves: the shower and the look & feel of the hotel.

Overall, I would stay here again though I would request a room on the other side of the hotel away from the open bar.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2011
You too now are part of the Padre family, and we appreciate you staying with us. We are always looking for ways to "polish" our hotel and staff, and always appreciate insightful reviews with excellent ideas. Thank you again!
Roseville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

This place is great! Spotlessly clean, great food, and modern decor. So many hotels are cluttered with "stuff" in the rooms but The Padre is streamlined and simple. Staff was friendly and accommodating. My only qualm is that the pet deposit is non refundable and I have 2 declawed cats that stay in their own tent. I realize most people are probably not careful in a hotel room so I understand. SERIOUSLY THIS HOTEL IS GREAT!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
"Seriously Sweet and Great", thanks for the wonderful comments. We work every day on finding those little touches that do set us apart and above the norm. We look forward to seeing you again!
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Fantastic bed, bedding, decor and theme. Very upscale and clean. The lack of privacy in the bathroom needs to be addressed. Not sure if they think it's sexy or what, but it's not. They could solve this by changing the transparent curtain across the wall of the bathroom visible from the bedroom with one that provides full coverage. Hint - hang a bathtowel on the shower door and it provides some privacy for the toilet (seriously.) The lack of parking options irritated my husband. Valet or parking tickets only. Oh yeah, I forgot if your room is on the backside of the hotel, they have a band that plays outisde until supposedly 9. It seemed like this was for locals. LIke a band in your room basically. We were on east coast time and had a long day and wanted to go to sleep early. Called the desk 3 times after they didn't stop at nine.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Thanks for spending time at Padre. Every guest review is the opportunity for us to learn how we may enhance to the next level every guest's stay, and we appreciate your comments. Upon your next visit, let us show you the variety of rooms we have, so that we may select the perfect one for your stay. Thanks again!
Tansz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I am a Bakersfield native. I have enjoyd dinner and cocktails here since The Padre has been back in business. I had the opportunity to stay here when a friend was visiting from out of state. We had the "forty winks room". It was super clean in every way, just like I like it! The mattress was super comfy and the bathroom was super cool! It is perfect for couples...very sexy! We did request an early wake up call that did not come through.....good thing I am an early riser.

I have dined at every spot in The Padre. The Brimstome is my favorite! Great calamari and potato skins! The service is not on par for a 4 star hotel. The servers are very young, and they don't give that 4 star service. I have noticed this since The Padre opened. The Belvedere is for fine dining.....and the service is much better in there.

The Padre is a very hip place. I hope my hometown will keep this gem around. It's like having a bit of LA or SF downtown.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
As a native Bakersfield resident, you know what a fantastic hotel Padre has become. You clearly know what a "gem" is, and we work hard every day to achieve that level. We look forward to your many visits, and thank you again!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011 via mobile

Amazing top to bottom. Belvedere is a restaurant everyone needs to experience. The beds are by far the best I have ever experienced. Prairie fire is the second floor deck, wow what an amazing place to see live music. If you have a chance please check this place out.

• Stayed July 2011
buildhotels, General Manager at Padre Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Thank you so much for your 5 star rating. Padre is a magical experience from top to bottom, we work hard every day at every detail to give the guest the best stay possible. We look forward to welcoming you "home" again, thank you!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and i traveled to Bakersfield on Christmas Day, 2010. After researching on Trip Advisor we chose the Padre Hotel. While the surrounding area hasn't been revitalized completely the hotel was such a surprise. The room was large and very modern with a western feel. Very updated. For horse lovers this is the play to go. The 'do not disturb' tag was the first surprise and then the hotel guide, room service, etc. was a delight to read- someone had a great sense of humor. The bathroom area was like no other. The bedding was luxurious. An overall delight and very nice surprise.

We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
I know you would agree Roy Rogers would love the "Padre". Our upscale western motif, with our contemporary boutique styling would make any cowboy and cowgirl proud! Thanks so much for sharing the experience with us, we look forward to seeing you again!

Been to Padre Hotel? Share your experiences!