It's funny how, the more I need a warm bed and a warm shower, the worse my luck gets on Priceline. I saw Clarion come up on my bid and just got a dread feeling - since when is a Clarion a three star hotel?? - but I figured I didn't have a choice and should give it a chance. And so I did. First, let me share what the front desk guy shared with me: If you book on Priceline, you'll be classified in whatever room type is available....including a smoking room! Thank goodness front desk guy was nice enough to find me a non-smoking room. Oh, Priceline, never again.
Okay, so let me get back to the hotel. Here's why I gave the place one star:
1. I was driving south on the freeway and spotted the hotel. Again, I wasn't too excited about staying at a Clarion, but when I saw the shabby, truck-stop look of the hotel from the interstate, I almost kept on driving.
2. The front desk guy was nice, but a little overwhelmed and, I suppose this was not his fault, but he had to give me (literally) three different sets of keys before I finally got one that worked. So up and down the elevator three times to get into my room.
3. And oh, by the way, only one elevator works and you'll wait about three hours for it. Well, I'm exaggerating, but you'll wait a long time!
4. In my goings up and down, I started to see the people who were staying at this hotel. I decided to block my door that night with chairs. Let's just say, as a young woman, I was starting to feel unsafe.
5. I slipped the key into the door with a dread feeling of what I would find. The room itself looked better than expected - a little more "upgraded." I believe it might actually have been the furniture Marriott was using about 5 or 10 years ago. I definitely recognized the dark green and burgandy. Maybe this stuff gets recycled?
6. I dropped my things and headed to the shower, and that's when I started to notice the shabbiness of the room. At first glance, things looked better than expected, but quickly deteriorated from there. Everything is chipped, dented, dirty. Everywhere I looked, something was worn down or worn out. Just a dirty feeling to the place.
7. The a/c unit worked fine and actually didn't smell bad but it was blasting cold air in the way units do.
8. I got into bed and noticed - here's where it got really good - that there was blood smeared on the lampshade!! Okay, I moved a few more chairs to the door in the hopes that it would at least make a rukus if someone tried to get in.
9. The "message" light on the phone starts to go off. I called and checked for messages. None. A few minutes later, the light came on again. None. This happened about four times before I finally jammed the phone into the nightstand drawer.
10. This is minor, I know, but it's a pet peeve of mine. I like to measure the quality of a hotel by how carefully the small things have been looked after. When I walked into the room, I immediately noticed the blinking, unset alarm clock. Why wouldn't housekeeping just fix this? Again, it really shows the quality of the hotel and the commitment of the hotel staff.
Anyhow, that's my top ten list of why you shouldn't bother with the Clarion.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
We hate to hear that you were dissatisfied with your stay. When our customers are not satisfied, we are not satisfied.
Each employee works hard to ensure each guest is comfortable and happy.
I am glad that the employees were quick to resolve any and all issues that may have arose during your stay.
Thank you for bringing your views to us, this gives us the ability to see through your eyes and use those views as tools and building blocks for improved changes.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.