“Good Place to stop in Bakersfield” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #23 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
Walnut Creek, California
“Good Place to stop in Bakersfield”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I made a recent trip to Las Vegas from the Bay Area and stayed at this hotel both going and coming to and from Las Vegas. This hotel is nothing great, but is certainly adequate. The rooms are fairly small, but the beds are comfortable and I got a good night's sleep. I would say this hotel is way above average for "quietness" as I did not hear any noise for adjacent rooms or the room above. There are plenty of restaurants close to this hotel and a Costco right next door for shopping and gas. The free breakfast was very good with hot eggs, hash browns and bisquits. Plenty of other choices also. The hotel staff was friendly and accommodating. I would stay here on another trip through Bakersfield.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
ca643, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

We love to hear that our guests were happy with their stay, Thank you for letting us know!
Its not everyday that we receive compliments: But they do go along ways.

We work hard everyday to provide a clean comfortable stay for each of our guests and it looks like our hard work had paid off with your Happiness!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what we did right! I will share your comments with all the staff and Thank them as well for all their hard work.

Best Regards,
Clarion Hotel Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

The hotel is newly updated. I was on the 5th floor and there was a tournament in town. The staff did everything possible to see to the other guest in the hotel and make sure the noise level was kept to a minimum. The bed was comfortable and there was no funny smells like you get when you stay at these places. The breakfast needs a little work, but other than that it's great. The location is perfect to get to anywhere in town.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank You for your kind words about your stay with us! We work hard every day making each guest stay, a great one and Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and experience with us, We like to hear straight from the guests on how their stay was.
We know, there are areas within the Hotel that can use some updating. We hope to bring some changes to the near future including revamping the breakfast.
Again we really want to say “Thank You” for staying with us and sharing your stay with others.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This property needs some major upgrading. It is old and tired looking. Room sizes are good but the scented cleaning spray is nasty. Shower is ok but spray nozzle is way too low (for a 6 footer).
HVAC control on the wall did not work. Breakfast was ok but the hot food was not even close to hot.. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts about our property and your stay!
We are an "Older" property that is in need of some updating. Our Staff continues to bring the same "Great Services" despite some of our challanges.
Our Staff takes great pride in providing a Clean and Comfortable Stay for each guest and is upsetting when we know we were unable to provide that to you..
We hope that in the future, you will give us another oppertunity to serve your hospitality needs.

Best Regards,
Coalinga, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

When I checked in I realized the hotel property was very old. When I went to my room I turned around and left, explaining to the nice gal at the counter "I just can;t do it., it is too bad" The manager called me later in the day getting specifics to present to management. Lots of money needs to be spend on this property to bring it back to the standard of middle class travelers.

Room Tip: I decided not to spend the night here.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ca643, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Guest

As Promised I have shared your comments as well as other guest comments to the ownership in hopes they understand how some small updates and changes can change a guests impression and comfort.

Each day the Staff here at the Bakersfield Clarion work hard to give the best
Services and provide a 'Clean" Comfortable stay for all of our guests.

I will keep in touch and let you know of our upcomming changes.

WIth Hospitality,
Montreal, QC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We booked online for a 1 night stop over at the Clarion Hotel in Bakersfield, Ca. We arrived late at the hotel since we got caught in a bad thunderstorm in death valley. Even though we arrived late our room was ready and waiting for us. The lady at the counter was able to help us quickly and was very polite.

The room itself was clean, we had a room on the first floor. The internet worked very well. The bed was clean and comfortable for a stop over. The design of the room was done in typical Clarion colors however I'd add that this Clarion wasn't as trendy as some of the other ones I've stayed in before, it looked more like a comfort inn. Flat Screen TV. We got a good rate so we don't mind.

I don't know much about the area but it was right near the highway for us so that was convenient.

Check out was quick, breakfast was good but typical.

The only negative I'd bring up was a noisy AC in our room but we were so tired we slept anyways.

There are food options around the hotel, I believe there was a Carls Jr in the parking lot however if you arrive late night you will have to do like us and settle for hot dogs from the gas station.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ca643, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

We appreciate hearing about your stay!
Thank you for sharing your experience with others so that they may
enjoy the same relaxing night as you did.
The staff here, work hard to create a clean comfortable atmosphere for our guests.
We know we are an "Older" Hotel and with a lot of "New" Hotels in the area, we work even
harder to provide you a Great Guest Value and we Thank You for Choosing the Bakersfield Clarion Hotel.

WIth Hospitality,

Clarion Staff
Precy Sur Oise, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked this hotel on Hotwire for a last-minute, one-night stopover and were happy to get a Choice Hotel, though I don't think we got a better deal than if we had booked directly. It is reasonably a 3-star hotel and had all the necessities. Breakfast was good but relatively limited when compared to other Choice Hotels in lower categories. There is a very nice restaurant where we ate dinner in the parking lot, which was convenient. Internet access was slow.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
ca643, Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you so much for letting us know you were "Happy" with your stay!
Our staff works hard everyday to create the "Value" guests are looking for.
We do have plans to add some additional items to the Breakfast and we are excited to be able to offer our guests more choices.
Clarion Hotel wants to be your place to "Get Together" for Lesiure, Business or just Passing through!

With Hospitality,
Washington, DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

It's funny how, the more I need a warm bed and a warm shower, the worse my luck gets on Priceline. I saw Clarion come up on my bid and just got a dread feeling - since when is a Clarion a three star hotel?? - but I figured I didn't have a choice and should give it a chance. And so I did. First, let me share what the front desk guy shared with me: If you book on Priceline, you'll be classified in whatever room type is available....including a smoking room! Thank goodness front desk guy was nice enough to find me a non-smoking room. Oh, Priceline, never again.

Okay, so let me get back to the hotel. Here's why I gave the place one star:

1. I was driving south on the freeway and spotted the hotel. Again, I wasn't too excited about staying at a Clarion, but when I saw the shabby, truck-stop look of the hotel from the interstate, I almost kept on driving.
2. The front desk guy was nice, but a little overwhelmed and, I suppose this was not his fault, but he had to give me (literally) three different sets of keys before I finally got one that worked. So up and down the elevator three times to get into my room.
3. And oh, by the way, only one elevator works and you'll wait about three hours for it. Well, I'm exaggerating, but you'll wait a long time!
4. In my goings up and down, I started to see the people who were staying at this hotel. I decided to block my door that night with chairs. Let's just say, as a young woman, I was starting to feel unsafe.
5. I slipped the key into the door with a dread feeling of what I would find. The room itself looked better than expected - a little more "upgraded." I believe it might actually have been the furniture Marriott was using about 5 or 10 years ago. I definitely recognized the dark green and burgandy. Maybe this stuff gets recycled?
6. I dropped my things and headed to the shower, and that's when I started to notice the shabbiness of the room. At first glance, things looked better than expected, but quickly deteriorated from there. Everything is chipped, dented, dirty. Everywhere I looked, something was worn down or worn out. Just a dirty feeling to the place.
7. The a/c unit worked fine and actually didn't smell bad but it was blasting cold air in the way units do.
8. I got into bed and noticed - here's where it got really good - that there was blood smeared on the lampshade!! Okay, I moved a few more chairs to the door in the hopes that it would at least make a rukus if someone tried to get in.
9. The "message" light on the phone starts to go off. I called and checked for messages. None. A few minutes later, the light came on again. None. This happened about four times before I finally jammed the phone into the nightstand drawer.
10. This is minor, I know, but it's a pet peeve of mine. I like to measure the quality of a hotel by how carefully the small things have been looked after. When I walked into the room, I immediately noticed the blinking, unset alarm clock. Why wouldn't housekeeping just fix this? Again, it really shows the quality of the hotel and the commitment of the hotel staff.

Anyhow, that's my top ten list of why you shouldn't bother with the Clarion.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
ca643, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

We hate to hear that you were dissatisfied with your stay. When our customers are not satisfied, we are not satisfied.
Each employee works hard to ensure each guest is comfortable and happy.
I am glad that the employees were quick to resolve any and all issues that may have arose during your stay.
Thank you for bringing your views to us, this gives us the ability to see through your eyes and use those views as tools and building blocks for improved changes.

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!