“Cannot get worse than this!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #16 of 57 Hotels in Bakersfield
Sacramento
“Cannot get worse than this!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I had reserved a night at Four Points at Bakersfield using Starpoints. The email confirmation indicated that a premium deluxe King size bed, SMOKING, patio room was reserved for me. This is California and I thought there were no more smoking rooms. I panicked and contacted the number listed in the email, the agent checked and indicated that in his system it neither showed smoking nor non-smoking and I was assured that it should be a non-smoking room and that he would put in a note, just in case. Well, it went downhill from there.

We checked in at about 5pm. I said to the the front desk person that I wanted to be sure that it was a non-smoking room and she assured me that all rooms were non-smoking. We went into the "deluxe premium room" and it reeked of smoke that my husband started to sniffle and coughed after about 10 minutes. We looked out to the patio (separated by the glass door) and saw ashtrays and people smoking outside of other patio rooms. The room had a mini-fridge and a microwave. The bed was very soft which was good. My husband and I were debating whether to ask for a room change but the smell was really getting to me after about 20 minutes. We went out for dinner and on the way out reported to the receptionist that the room reeked of smoke. She stared at me, then with a tone of disbelief said it was a non-smoking room. She said no one would smoke in a room as it carried a $300 penalty. I was in room 117. There was a gentleman who was standing beside me that this receptionist was helping, then said he was in room 114 the night before and he could smell cigarette smoke coming out of room 117. The issue is of course, smokers who are allowed to smoke at the patio area may carry their habit into the room, ignoring the fact that smoking is not allowed in the room. The receptionist then said it must simply be hallway smell. I told her that the hallway smelled way better than the room. Another woman came to assist me, checked and indicated that there was no other deluxe king size bed room and offered me a regular king size bed room, I took it. The "new room" might as well be a $25 a night motel room. The "furniture" other than the bed is not what I would call furniture. The cabinet/table? under the TV had plastic or paper pull-out "boxes" as drawers! The bed was hard, unlike the "premium deluxe" room's which had a much softer bed. There was a small table with no drawer next to the bed. The room stunk, not of smoke but simply stale and the room looked old and unclean. Miserable. We spent a very uncomfortable night there.

The only upside of the stay was that the restaurant was surprisingly good compared to this dump of a hotel - we had dinner and breakfast there the next morning.

We swear we will never return to this place. We had stayed at another Four Points by Sheraton hotel in the San Francisco before and it was clean, spacious and very nice. This Bakersfield hotel is worse than any other hotel or any brand that we had ever stayed at.

By the way, I am also a SPG gold member.

Room Tip: Just do not stay here. You cannot get worse than this staying elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracy W, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Thank you for choosing Four Points Bakersfield. I am truly sorry we fell short on meeting your expectations. I appreciate you sharing your experience with us so that we can find ways to improve. Although all our rooms are non-smoking, smoking has been allowed on the patios. Because this has become in issue with our guests, we will soon be changing our policies to include our patios as non-smoking areas. I am not sure why the bed in your second room felt different, they are all the same Four Comfort beds and a re all new. We will certainly investigate it. I hope we will have an opportunity to have you as our guest again when in Bakersfield.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We found the Four Points due to the fact it was the closest hotel to us when we decided to stop. Just a few blocks off HW 99 and set back off the street it is located in a quite location. The rooms are large and nicely appointed. They provided wine glasses, mouth wash which are small details that you don't expect. There are lovely water features and ponds. The pool area is also very nice. There is a great restaurant in front of the hotel called the Bistro. Terrific food and service.

Room Tip: Choose a room over looking the water fountains. They turn them off at night so don't worry abou...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tracy W, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you for choosing Four Points as your stopover in Bakersfield. We appreciate your kind comments and glad you were able to enjoy the property. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Bakersfield.
Studio City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is a basic hotel/motel. The property looks a little beat up and could use some renovations. There is nothing special about it, just a group of buildings in an office park. The rooms are very spacious, but could also use a little updating. On the upside, the beds were extremely comfortable and our room was quiet. However, friends of ours also staying at the Four Points found their room to be very noisy. This is due to the door that is shared between rooms. The location, inside an office park, is fine if you have a car, with markets, restaurants and coffee shops within driving distance.

Room Tip: First floor rooms facing the pool have a patio, sliding glass doors, fridge and microwave.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. We appreciate your comments and are working towards trying to reduce noise between rooms. I am glad your sleep was restful in our Four Points Comfort bed. We look forward to seeing you again during your next trip to Bakersfield.
Penn Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed at the Four Points Sheraton in Bakersfield and enjoyed the stay. Quiet room overlooking the exterior of the facility, which consisted of Orange Blossom trees, grass, ponds, creek, etc....very pleasant. Room and bath was spacious, modern decorations, great beds, towels fluffy. Only thing missing was a refrigerator/microwave. Staff were very pleasant and eager to assist. Booked on-line and paid about $82.00 plus tax....a very good deal. Also, located close to restaurants, shopping and hwy. 99.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room overlooking courtyard in central hallway.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your kind comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. During your next stay with us, be sure to ask for an upgraded room with refrigerator and microwave. We look forward to seeing you again!
San Rafael, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed here on Dec 31 as a stopover between San Francisco and Las Vegas. Very convenient. Although the exterior of the hotel is a bit on the dour side, the room itself was spacious, clean, and comfortable. It looked to be recently renovated, so we were quite pleased. The breakfast the following day was also better than average.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tracy W, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your experience. Housekeeping works very hard to keep our hotel clean and comfortable for our guests. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you through Bakersfield.
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Staff GREAT! This is a great place to stay if you’re just passing through. Every year I attend a 3 day convention and I always try to stay at this hotel. We are hardly in the room so the hotel fits our needs perfectly. Beds are comfortable. I utilize the gym every time I go and it’s never packed. Clean, although the smell of the whole establishment (especially in the indoor halls) could use a major freshening. Bakersfield in itself is a pretty smelly town as it is so this is understandable. Like I said all in the if you’re passing through I would recommend this place because the staff does everything they can to help and for the most part it’s clean.

Walls REALLY thin. I heard too much going on in the next room. :( :( :( :(

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Tracy W, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I am pleased that our staff took good care of you. We will certainly look into the hallway smell issue. Thanks for the recommending us to others. We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Bakersfield.
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night to break up a drive from Southern to Northern California. This property is located in a small business section of Bakersfield. Since we were there on a holiday weekend it was very quiet. We had a ground floor room with a patio outside of the fountain area. With the sliding glass door open and the screen closed you could clearly hear the relaxing sound of the fountains. The rooms are clean with comfortable beds. They each also have a refrigerator and microwave. The front desk staff was very helpful in giving directions to local restaurants. Overall, this was a great stay and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay with us. We are pleased you were able to enjoy the relaxing atmosphere we have createdand we're glad to hear you will be back. We look forward to being your host again.

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Bakersfield? Share your experiences!