We went back to the Valentin for our third visit. I had seen a couple of reviews where people who had gone twice were disappointed the third time. That wasn’t the case with us.
We had stayed at the Valentin in September 2008, December 2009 and December 2010. In fact we stayed 10 nights in December both years (in fact the exact same dates).
THE VALENTIN IS A SUPERB RESORT. It isn’t for everyone, but I would guess that 95% of the people who go there will be delighted.
It is large and can require some walking. But the grounds have gotten more beautiful over the years as the landscaping has matured and I marveled at the BEAUTY AND TRANQUILITY OF THE GROUNDS. It was a pleasure to walk. We were looking to actually do some extra walking (to walk off the extra calories) so we started walking from the main entrance to the main road. I would guess it is just a little over a mile each way and even the access road they’ve put has beautiful landscaping.
We had a very good location in Building 6. Building 6 is centrally located for the beach, the pool and not too far from the central plaza and all the restaurants. We had a golden suite and unlike the golden suite we had our first time seemed much larger. The suite we had in building 7 was divided into two rooms so even though these suites have 100 square feet more space than the standard rooms, it felt smaller. Not the case in Building 6. IT WAS WIDE OPEN AND SEEMED VERY LARGE. I also love the beds at the Valentin. They are the posturepedic type of mattress which I find to be very comfortable. The room has marble floors and is lovely. When we first arrived the sink in the bathroom’s plug was stuck down, but a simple call and it was taken care of while we were at dinner.
We brought our own Ethernet cable and it worked well. The safe is big (held our 15 inch laptop with no problem) and worked well then entire stay. ON A SCALE OF 1-10 I WOULD GIVE THE ROOM A 9+.
One of the things I like best about VIM is the range of beach and pools you have. It you want a swim up bar with a lot happening, you can go to the main pool. In fact, the main pool has two swim up bars (Heaven and Earth). During the day this is where you will find the games, outdoor entertainment, etc. As some people have pointed out in December, the pools are chilly so you don’t see many people in them in the morning. If you want a more quiet experience, you can find that at the swim out rooms by Buildings 6 through 8. I didn’t see either pool overcrowded while we were there.
The beach really has three parts. There is the main beach where you have a pretty big area (I paced it out at 140 paces) to rock free swimming. It is at this beach you will find 65 palapas and probably 5 times as many loungers. The main beach is right near Tierra and Mar restaurants so it has the bathrooms for the restaurants available to you. There is a beach bar and a volleyball net is set up right as you come onto the beach there. It sits just to the East of the Main Pool. This beach is huge with soft light sand. Also located here is the Turtle egg nursery and where you can get kayaks and Hobie Cats to use in the ocean.
If you go south of the Main Beach, you will come onto what we call the quiet beach. It is smaller (although it is larger than the beaches we encountered at Secrets Capri and Secrets Silversands). It has 20 palapas, its own bar, but lacks a nearby restroom. There isn’t any ocean access you would want to try without water socks. But if you want peace and quiet, it’s the beach for you.
Even further south is what we’ve named the deserted beach. There are 7 palapas, no restrooms and no bar (hence the reason it tends to be deserted). I think the emerald suites in Buildings 9 and 10 would be the only ones to use this beach.
Overall I WOULD RATE THE BEACHES A SOLID 9 AND THE POOLS AN 8 (I love the beach more and the pool water is cool in December).
Food. We went to the French Restaurant 3 times, the Lobster Pot 3 times, the Japanese twice, the Indonesian once and we went to the Mexican Buffet (outdoor) once. I’m not a foodie, but all were good. Here are some tips. YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE FILET AT THE FRENCH RESTAURANT AT LEAST ONCE. It was the best steak I’ve ever had at an all inclusive. Avoid the Wasabi ice crease at the Japanese restaurant. Of the five people who order it, not one took more than two bites of it.
We ate lunch and breakfast at Le Marche. We liked the fact that they had ice cream at lunch at Le Marche while they didn’t have it at the buffet by the beach. Jackie loved the way they did the omelets in the morning and enjoyed the Mimosas. They also have cappuccinos at breakfast. Her one regret was she didn’t notice the Nutella that was available at breakfast until our 8th day there (it’s on the table with the toasters).
Entertainment. WE REALLY ENJOY THE LIVE MUSIC THEY HAVE AT THE VALENTIN. They have it upon occasion at breakfast and lunch and everyday at the main pool at 4 PM. Normally they have a very good pianist in Don Miquels from 6 PM to 7:30 PM (the main bar) and music in the Plaza from 7:30 to 9 PM in the evening.
They have shows every night and they are pretty good. We enjoyed the one for the Mexican night that was performed out by the front water fountains.
I’m a big fan of the Valentin. It is so tranquil with a wonderful elegance in the landscaping, the rooms, and the buildings.
I would not only recommend this resorts to friends, but we are planning on going back again in 2011. It’s a great choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Valentin Imperial Maya is the new definition of paradise. Our 5 star Adults-Only (18+) All-Inclusive Resort is located a short 25 minutes from Cancun International Airport in the Riviera Maya. Set amid lavish gardens on a half-mile-long stretch of white sand beach named Playa Del Secreto (The Secret Beach), this magnificent award-winning resort boasts one of the largest swimming pools in Mexico. The location is ideal as one can easily reach Cancun and the world famous Mayan archaeological sites such as Tulum, Coba, and Chichen Itza, yet be removed enough to enjoy the casually elegant ambience of Valentin Imperial Maya. Escape into a world where your every wish is our command. Come indulge yourself....You deserve it! Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel & Spa is committed to preserve the environment by reducing the consumption of natural resources, promoting among our guests and staff, protection and respect for the environment through good environmental practices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your Valentin Imperial Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Valentin Imperial Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
- Valentin Imperial Maya Riviera Maya, Mexico